Link: La. Sports Radio Host calling SEC headquarters about officials being in Tank for Bama

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Mods, this could probably go in any of the "officiating" threads, but I thought that since this was LSU week, and it was so outlandish, that it could stand on its own. If not, you know what to do.

This could be comical, were it not so pitiful. Wait, it's LSU. It is comical.

http://tinyurl.com/jbqv32v

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LSU fans have the largest tinfoil hat segment of their fanbase relative to the rest of the SEC. We all have our fans who think "dey out'ta git us" but LSU seems to have the largest contingent and several online communities that function as an echo chamber for that line of thought.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
LOL, Bama is currently ranked 44th (6.1 per game) in the country in penalties called against them per game.

Bama's currently ranked 125th (4 per game) in the country in penalties called against their opponents.

So this conspiracy is so good that Bama gets called for an average of 60% of all the penalties in each game they play in yet there's still a 'fix'. And the differential in favor of the opponent is greater against SEC foes.

Good grief these people are stupid...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
surely it wont influence the refs one way or the other. The last game Texas A&M played against Texas was one of the most blatently one sided officiated game I've seen in my lifetime. I saw UF get some very good calls for them when they were playing Ole Miss several years ago, I think it was....or maybe someone else.

As far as their "Bama holds on every play" montra, it's to the point the refs need to call a game very close so they get every call they want as long as their O line gets the same strike zone.

Enough idiots have repeated it for so long the entire fanbase has bought into it. It's unhealthy for the game in general. That includes a few TV commentators also.

I'd also like to see one off weak declared on the same weekend for each team, although it's much better than it used to be.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
surely it wont influence the refs one way or the other. The last game Texas A&M played against Texas was one of the most blatently one sided officiated game I've seen in my lifetime. I saw UF get some very good calls for them when they were playing Ole Miss several years ago, I think it was....or maybe someone else.

As far as their "Bama holds on every play" montra, it's to the point the refs need to call a game very close so they get every call they want as long as their O line gets the same strike zone.

Enough idiots have repeated it for so long the entire fanbase has bought into it. It's unhealthy for the game in general. That includes a few TV commentators also.

I'd also like to see one off weak declared on the same weekend for each team, although it's much better than it used to be.
One problem is that most fans now just don't understand the holding rules as they are enforced. As long as an OL keeps his hands inside the defender's shoulder pads, he's not going to get called. There's no practical way the official can tell if the OL has a handful of jersey also. However, when the defender gets past the blocker and the OL grabs jersey as he goes by or grabs the body of the defender and/or takes him down, they will call it. Many officials are very hesitant to call holding on the side away from the direction of the play, since it has no impact on the play. Human nature...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A very liberal holding flag would be worse for our opponent than us. Nobody gets called for anything but the most blatant of holds (and even sometimes not then) in a game involving Alabama.

If they whistled every "technically thats holding" call for both sides then our opponents would finish with more penalty yards than offensive yards.

But that isn't what the homers want. They want Alabama to get the "tough" whistle while their team to get away with holding our DL every down. Can't have both without it truly being a poorly officiated game. Fortunately for our opponents, they've allowed them to get away with holding our best positional group more often than not...and that same whistle has been applied to our OL. There just aren't many holding calls in our games. Well below average actually.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sounds like sports radio in Columbus. Homer fans are still homer fans, even if they are hosting a radio program.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Pretty sad. Sounds like an Auburn stunt. The sad thing is that the fan base tends to latch on to stuff like this. LSU is too good to become a bunch of whiners like most Auburn fans (AuDub the notable exception).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Mods, this could probably go in any of the "officiating" threads, but I thought that since this was LSU week, and it was so outlandish, that it could stand on its own. If not, you know what to do.

This could be comical, were it not so pitiful. Wait, it's LSU. It is comical.

http://tinyurl.com/jbqv32v
"The SEC office is in Birmingham...."

I've never understood what this is supposed to mean. They have to be SOMEWHERE!!!

(If I had been on the line knowing what this idiot was pulling, I'd have turned right around and say, "Yeah, we want to make sure Alabama wins every game and we all laughed when we screwed you in the Auburn game over the last snap." What's he gonna do then? If he starts saying, "SEE, they ADMITTED it," he gets laughed at for getting trolled himself).

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Seriously, we have guys on our D-line who are unblockable. Unblockable. So the officials HAVE to let the opposing team hold; otherwise, Tim Williams and J Allen would "ruin everybody's scrimmage" like they did our A-Day.

So, since you start with the premise that you'd like to televise an actual game, you're letting the opponents hold every play, you're gonna have a hard time calling 'bama for doing what you're letting their opponents do. We're not golfing with handicaps, here. Nobody gets to tee off from the lady's tees against us. Or are our opponents going to start wearing skirts?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.