The Donald Wins....now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Joe Scarborough mentioned something interesting this morning. Trump may be able to work with both parties to get meaningful things done. His reasoning was Trump loves to make deals and he may be able to work with Chuck Schumer (D NY) who may be the new minority leader and who know each other well to make deals to get legislation passed. Time will tell.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
I haven't read through the thread but I can tell you exactly what we can expect: the same old, same old.

Trump may be able to actually fulfill a few of his campaign promises but he won't be able to do anything without toeing the Republican party line on most things and caving to the Democratic party on a significant number of things.

We'll see Trump undo a substantial number of Obama's executive orders, replacing them with many of his own - a surprising number of which will eventually look very similar to Bush's and Obama's. Well see Obamacare replaced with a Republican version of pretty much the exact same thing. It may be a little better but it'll still be based on invalid assumptions and an economic model that is really a fallacy and doomed to ultimately fail.

In the end, big government will just continue to get bigger and more and more individual liberties and States' rights will continue to erode away.
We'll find out if the principles taught in "The Art of the Deal" really work. I predict a give and take to get what he considers his top priorities. In the process he will anger some factions of the party but I think then he will pacify them in another deal. In the end everybody won't get everything they want but will get enough to keep them on board. I just hope Trump doesn't make any "Read my lips" statements.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Thought this was a pretty good statement even though I don't know much about this guy other than he's a Democrat. I'm no where close to PC but whitelash is a pretty accurate term for what I've seen around here. It is also just a backlash against status quo politics.

I feel like that the nation divide is going to deepen even more after this. It would be nice to start seeing politics going in the direction of bringing people back together after this but I have a feeling we're going to get the opposite.
I haven't read the rest of this thread so maybe this has already been pounced on but, I'm already sick and tired of here this nut, and a few others, blaming this on race. It's always racist with them and they are part of the problem.

What happened yesterday was not about race or white backlash against blacks or whatever other stupid reason these racists come up with. It was almost completely about the middle class being sick and tired of getting screwed over by the establishment in DC. I ended up voting for Trump, not because I agree with him, not because I think he will be a good president (I'm scared to death he'll be bad). My vote was not so much a vote for him but a vote against DC. The majority of the middle class makes the same or less than they did in 1999 and DC has had plenty of time to do something about it but, they refuse. It may end badly but, it's time to try something different.

The results of this election were not about color, it was about giving the middle finger to DC.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I said pretty much the exact same thing on my FB last night. You can't call people racist for 8 years for opposing an ideology and expect it to resonate - even when it's true - when you diminish the power of those words by crying wolf for so long. IMHO, this election was mostly about 2 things: 1. the economy - when you tell people how great it is but they can't pay their bills they don't buy anything you sell anymore - and Obamacare lies are wrapped into this one 2. people are tired of being called every -ist and -phobe in the book whenever they disagree with something or someone. Those words and accusations actually became fuel for the fire and not water on it.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I haven't read the rest of this thread so maybe this has already been pounced on but, I'm already sick and tired of here this nut, and a few others, blaming this on race. It's always racist with them and they are part of the problem.

What happened yesterday was not about race or white backlash against blacks or whatever other stupid reason these racists come up with. It was almost completely about the middle class being sick and tired of getting screwed over by the establishment in DC. I ended up voting for Trump, not because I agree with him, not because I think he will be a good president (I'm scared to death he'll be bad). My vote was not so much a vote for him but a vote against DC. The majority of the middle class makes the same or less than they did in 1999 and DC has had plenty of time to do something about it but, they refuse. It may end badly but, it's time to try something different.

The results of this election were not about color, it was about giving the middle finger to DC.
My biggest problem with statements like this, on news channels, is when they say things like, "Muslims have been texting me asking me do they need to leave the country." It is always something controversial that they have supposedly received a "text" about.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am tired of hearing how we are sexist for not electing a woman. She only was in the race because of who her husband is. Using that logic you could say the DNC is anti-Semitic because they rigged it to keep a Jewish man from getting the nomination. All those people putting their "I Voted" sticker on Susan B. Anthony's grave might as well put them on the grave of Lurleen Wallace.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If you can't understand that helping others does help us, I can't do anything about that. I say that as a lifelong conservative.

I had a 3 paragraph response with economic data, personal anecdotes from the field and examples but my browser crashed.
Sorry to hear it crashed. Happened to me, more than once. I hate it when that happens.

Anyway.............

My doctor is from the Philippines. Every year or so, a group of doctors go back, and bring medical care, to remote mountain villages, where the only care those people get is when one of these operations take place.

They have scaled back their operations, the last few years. They are being squeezed, in their practices, and are less able to absorb the costs. Folks who have the ability to donate are less able to donate. I don't think more tax breaks are what they need. They need the gubbament to get its jackboot off the country's neck.

A bit of a digression................

I could never run for political office. If you look at my "charitable donations deduction", well, I do not claim one. It is not the bidnis of anyone, especially the gubbament, to know what charities I donate to, and how much.

As poor as I am, I can not give much, but the tax break would be welcome. Yet, I pass it by.

Sorry, but I don't need the gubbament, or a church, telling me who to donate who, and how much. Nor do I need their approval for such.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I too believe we re to help those less fortunate. As a Christian I believe it should be done through our churches, not our government...
I believe that too. But it doesn't happen. I blame ourselves for that. The way things should be and the way the are are vastly different.

There are a lot of things the government does that the church should be doing.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Sorry to hear it crashed. Happened to me, more than once. I hate it when that happens.

Anyway.............

My doctor is from the Philippines. Every year or so, a group of doctors go back, and bring medical care, to remote mountain villages, where the only care those people get is when one of these operations take place.

They have scaled back their operations, the last few years. They are being squeezed, in their practices, and are less able to absorb the costs. Folks who have the ability to donate are less able to donate. I don't think more tax breaks are what they need. They need the gubbament to get its jackboot off the country's neck.

A bit of a digression................

I could never run for political office. If you look at my "charitable donations deduction", well, I do not claim one. It is not the bidnis of anyone, especially the gubbament, to know what charities I donate to, and how much.

As poor as I am, I can not give much, but the tax break would be welcome. Yet, I pass it by.

Sorry, but I don't need the gubbament, or a church, telling me who to donate who, and how much. Nor do I need their approval for such.
Yah, lower taxes are good, but historically it's good for the economy, not charitable giving. At least that's what records tell us.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

While I agree that socioeconomic problems are a major reason for this, and that it is also a backlash against the DC status quo (at least they think that's how it will go) to ignore that race is a factor in it after all the race related problems that have been going for the past few years (really since before Obama) is being a bit unrealistic. The political correctness aspect of it ties in as well (as crimsonaudio's post above mentions) but that also generally ties into issues that started on the racial level and pushed beyond into other aspects. I hate political correctness, I hate that being white is treated as an evil thing in modern America... but to say that race had zero to do with this election is not even close to true. It is a political rebellion based on a lot of factors, but there is also angry white people syndrome in there as well. I'm saying this as an angry white person and I woulda been happy for someone truly different to step up and take on the establishment and left but instead I feel like a snake oil salesman stepped in and fed off of that.

Is that guy in the video a race baiter that throws around the race card on everything? Probably so based on the other posts since I put it up, but it doesn't change that race is a factor in America whether we like it or not. Rather than admitting it we all try to pretend it isn't in there and thus we end up with the situation I've warned about for a long time - on one side the PC/leftist race complainers push too far, then the other side will finally push back (which is happening now) and chances are that will go too far the other direction and the swing of the pendulum gets worse each time.

I'm not saying it's the only reason, and I actually wasn't even 100% talking about the racial part of the video in my initial post so much as the hypocrisy of telling your kids not to be a bully, treat women with respect, not to do this, not to do that, and then backing a candidate that acts out many of those things.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

I tend to agree. The middle class feels abandoned by the leaders of both parties, and looked to an outsider for relief.

On the plus side, at least it's over.

Sent from my LG G3

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
No idea how old you are, but there was a day when the churches ran the hospitals.

They gave you a bill, and if you could pay, you did so. If not.........well, that is why churches do the good deeds.

Some folks probably objected: can't have those dang churches brainwashing people.

Let's see.................Mrs. Cuda, CoC, born in a Catholic hospital. (In Texas!)
Me, family overwhelmingly Catholic, born in a Presbyterian one.

Jewish friends born in Christian ones, and the other way around. Somehow, no one was corrupted by being born in a hospital run by a church. Even when it was the wrong one.

Now, we need gubbament to tell us what doctor and hospital to use. What treatments we can get. With an "insurance policy" that few can afford, has an outrageous deductible, and most "healthcare providers" will not accept. (At least around here they won't.)

That is what some folks call "progress".

The rest of us call it something else, which can not be said here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.