News Article: 4 states voted to make marijuana legal

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Were it ever to become full fledged legal in the Flora/Bama region I'd like do that. Won't gamble it at this juncture.
Was also waiting to see if Obama would push through the carbon tax because we could "sequester carbon" and get paid to basically not trim our trees. Probably wouldn't agree with the rest of the bill but liked the sound of getting paid to watch trees grow for 20 years.
Many of the existing pot growers in the emerald triangle in Calif were against the recreational use because they feel the "family farms" for medical pot will be driven out of business by big agriculture.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
http://reason.com/archives/2016/11/14/the-tide-turns-on-legalizing-pot

On Tuesday, seven more states legalized marijuana for medical or recreational use. Virginia was not among them—but it might be soon, if comments from State Sen. Tommy Norment offer any clues.
Several days ago Norment, told the Norfolk City Council it is "absolutely crazy that we continue to lock people up for possession of a modest amount of marijuana. We are tough on crime. It's a question of what crimes we want to be tough on." That's a big change for the conservative Republican, who voted against a measure to relax marijuana law last year, and another measure of how much the needle on the issue has moved lately.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
Many of the existing pot growers in the emerald triangle in Calif were against the recreational use because they feel the "family farms" for medical pot will be driven out of business by big agriculture.
It's not big agriculture that's going to stomp them out. The wheels of capitalism are turning and the "family pot farms" are about to get a taste of open competition.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
It's not big agriculture that's going to stomp them out. The wheels of capitalism are turning and the "family pot farms" are about to get a taste of open competition.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
I don't know. Once legal at the federal level, I see companies like Philip Morris paying their lobbyist to get laws enacted that make it prohibitively expensive for the little guys to do business. You better bet that Monsanto will start patenting seeds too.

Last edited:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Were it ever to become full fledged legal in the Flora/Bama region I'd like do that. Won't gamble it at this juncture.
Was also waiting to see if Obama would push through the carbon tax because we could "sequester carbon" and get paid to basically not trim our trees. Probably wouldn't agree with the rest of the bill but liked the sound of getting paid to watch trees grow for 20 years.
One of my sons is getting paid to watch long leaf pines grow on his farm today.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I don't know. Once legal at the federal level, I see companies like Philip Morris paying their lobbyist to get laws enacted that make it prohibitively expensive for the little guys to do business. You better bet that Monsanto will start patenting seeds too.
The only problem (if you consider it a "problem") is that Cannabis is simply too easy to produce. There's a reason it's called weed. It's about as hard to grow as most weeds.

I don't see anyone selling it for a higher price, including taxes. There will simply be too many people growing their own. It is truly the "people's drug." Prices will plummet and there will be a thriving black market.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The only problem (if you consider it a "problem") is that Cannabis is simply too easy to produce. There's a reason it's called weed. It's about as hard to grow as most weeds.

I don't see anyone selling it for a higher price, including taxes. There will simply be too many people growing their own. It is truly the "people's drug." Prices will plummet and there will be a thriving black market.
but what if you can only grow swag but really want the diggity

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Through a similar carbon credit program? We have a fair amount of longleaf, all aged at least 20 some years, the other being mostly yellow and loblolly. Always looking for alternative ways to monetize that crop.
I believe his are under a program to reintroduce the long leaf pine to the coastal plains, but I'm not certain.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.