Link: Brian Kelly: Saban practicing with ex-pro players is “ludicrous” / Meyer response

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Brian Kelly: Saban practicing with pro players is “ludicrous”

We just don't like Meyer because his exit at Florida appeared disingenuous. (And his arrogant attitude about his offensive prowess, which we destroyed in 2005 after some minor trash talk from him, if I recall correctly).

But it's hard not to admit that he is at least the 2nd best coach in the country these days and #3 isn't really that close to him. To me, if anyone can match or pass whatever Coach Saban's ultimate NC total ends up being, it is Meyer.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The only opinions I have about Urban Meyer:

1. He's been in our way a few times and didn't get rolled over. Shame on him.

2. He left Florida in the lurch for what looks like - in retrospect - a temporary health issue and longterm hurt feelings over how his program was heading.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Urban took it far different than Bryan Kelly did. He doesn't seem worried or angry. You can tell he is comfortable matching up with any coach or team in football. That one small clip has made me rethink some of the anger I held for Urban.....and I'm not saying this because I like B1GTide.

Thanks for the clip.
Just illustrates perfectly why Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are where they are professionally and Bryan Kelly is where he is.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

2. He left Florida in the lurch for what looks like - in retrospect - a temporary health issue and longterm hurt feelings over how his program was heading.
Seems like Ron Zook had some extraordinarily good recruiting classes before he flamed out. Urban has always been a great recruiter.
There was something wrong, obviously at UF between Meyer and, well.... something.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Re: Pretty Funny---Urban Meyer Reacts To Coach Saban Using Former Players In Practice

It also shows how little coaches come out of their bubble during football season if he didn't hear about what Coach Saban was doing. They don't keep up with items like we the fans do.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Pretty Funny---Urban Meyer Reacts To Coach Saban Using Former Players In Practice

It also shows how little coaches come out of their bubble during football season if he didn't hear about what Coach Saban was doing. They don't keep up with items like we the fans do.
They honestly don't. They're too busy focusing on the job.
In Coach Saban's book, "How Good Do You Want To Be"? he said that, in season, the coaches arrived at 7 a.m. and worked til 11 P.M. Monday--Friday's. Then, on Saturday they have game preparation, the game, and then working on breaking down game film etc. until about midnight.
On Sunday's they arrive at 7a.m. and work until 10 P.M.
This is where it gets funny. Coach Saban said, "We take off at 10 on Sunday nights so the coaches can have some time to be with their families" lol..
My point, a really good football coach like Meyer is working about 100 hours a week during the season.
He doesn't have time to read the papers, or watch ESPN, or search the internet, or worry about any other teams than his and the opponent he has coming up on Saturday. Maybe that's Kelly's problem in general.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus

They honestly don't. They're too busy focusing on the job.
In Coach Saban's book, "How Good Do You Want To Be"? he said that, in season, the coaches arrived at 7 a.m. and worked til 11 P.M. Monday--Friday's. Then, on Saturday they have game preparation, the game, and then working on breaking down game film etc. until about midnight.
On Sunday's they arrive at 7a.m. and work until 10 P.M.
This is where it gets funny. Coach Saban said, "We take off at 10 on Sunday nights so the coaches can have some time to be with their families" lol..
My point, a really good football coach like Meyer is working about 100 hours a week during the season.
He doesn't have time to read the papers, or watch ESPN, or search the internet, or worry about any other teams than his and the opponent he has coming up on Saturday. Maybe that's Kelly's problem in general.
True, Saban doesn't have the professional or personal time to keep up with "newsworthy" (not to mention social media) events, but you had better believe that he has some off field staff pouring over anything that could provide an advantage, or allow him to be proactive with distractions. So, when he states with a straight face that he doesn't read, listen, or watch anything but the Weather Channel while he's drinking his coffee and eating a Little Debbie oatmeal cookie in the morning, he's technically telling the truth. But I don't believe for one second that he doesn't know what's going on around him. ;)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

True, Saban doesn't have the professional or personal time to keep up with "newsworthy" (not to mention social media) events, but you had better believe that he has some off field staff pouring over anything that could provide an advantage, or allow him to be proactive with distractions. So, when he states with a straight face that he doesn't read, listen, or watch anything but the Weather Channel while he's drinking his coffee and eating a Little Debbie oatmeal cookie in the morning, he's technically telling the truth. But I don't believe for one second that he doesn't know what's going on around him. ;)
Agreement in total :)

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Hey Kelly if it's not against the NCAA rules & it helps the offense when doing it..I'd say it's pretty dadgum smart on Coach Saban's part & maybe you need to try it to help your pitiful looking offense sir..

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

Is it permissible to have a "guest coach"? Maybe Kelly could give that a try.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Don't Kelley know that Pro's have to practice against really good opponents if they want to get better... ;)

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Maybe if it was someone else Kelly would keep his mouth shut, but he can't get over the loss to us.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Maybe Kelly can get actors who portrayed ND players to be on his scout team.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Re: Brian Kelly: Saban practicing with pro players is “ludicrous” / Urban Meyer respo

Brian Kelly should just bring Rudy and Mante Teo's "girlfriend" back to the practice squad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.