Link: Brian Kelly: Saban practicing with ex-pro players is “ludicrous” / Meyer response

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Re: Brian Kelly: Saban practicing with pro players is “ludicrous”

Apparently USC has been using former players (i.e. pros waiting for their next call from an NFL team) in practice for at least 5 years.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Apparently USC has been using former players (i.e. pros waiting for their next call from an NFL team) in practice for at least 5 years.
Didn't help them on opening of this season.

If you are going to use pro players to represent Bama on your scout team, use current 1st team NFL players.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Cool - maybe Sark introduced the idea to Saban.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Cool - maybe Sark introduced the idea to Saban.
Kiffin would have been at USC during that time, too.

The first I heard of this was Cal using Marshawn Lynch to prepare for Hawaii the first week of the season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Kiffin would have been at USC during that time, too.

The first I heard of this was Cal using Marshawn Lynch to prepare for Hawaii the first week of the season.
I understand that, but since Alabama hasn't done it previously I thought that maybe Sark brought it up. Since it cannot be publicized ahead of time, I can see how this would have remained quiet.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Link
On Thursday night during his weekly radio show, Nick Saban had a fiery rebuttal for Kelly and those that opposed what transpired on the Crimson Tide’s practice fields.

“Look, we’ve been here for a long time, we’ve known about this rule for a long time,” Saban said at Bob’s Victory Grille. “We’ve never really ever really needed a player to do that, but because of our situation, aight -- first of all, most people didn’t know that Cooper Bateman got hurt in the Tennessee game. Hurt his shoulder. So he hurt his shoulder, David Cornwell hurt his elbow and couldn’t throw the ball and Jalen Hurts was the only quarterback that we had, aight.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Sounds like screw that quitter blake barnett to my ears.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Re: Brian Kelly: Saban practicing with pro players is “ludicrous” / Urban Meyer respo

I don't know if you all heard or read this but now Urban Meyer is using former NFL WR Brian Hartline to prepare for Clemson and Dabo Swinney is using former QB Tajh Boyd to prepare for OSU. Once again Coach Saban leads the way and the other coaches are trying to play catch up.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Re: Brian Kelly: Saban practicing with pro players is “ludicrous” / Urban Meyer respo

I don't know if you all heard or read this but now Urban Meyer is using former NFL WR Brian Hartline to prepare for Clemson and Dabo Swinney is using former QB Tajh Boyd to prepare for OSU. Once again Coach Saban leads the way and the other coaches are trying to play catch up.
Yeah, well, if Sonny Sixkiller has turned up in the Huskies' teepee, er, huddle, 'Bama be in heap big trouble...

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004

Everyone says its crazy- cant do that! and then they are all doing it a year later. I'm sure they will have to come out with a new Saban rule.

Merry Christmas to the Bama Nation! Great time to be alive and even greater time to be an Alabama fan! Blessings!

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

If you can't beat him, join him. :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Even Saban wasn't the first to do this. Cal used Marshawn Lynch for their first game of the season. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread USC might have been doing it for a few years, too.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

I thought part of the rule was that it couldn't be announced ahead of time?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That is exactly how it was described in the media reports. Maybe they have already used those players and are announcing it now? Or, maybe the media was wrong?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Even Saban wasn't the first to do this. Cal used Marshawn Lynch for their first game of the season. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread USC might have been doing it for a few years, too.
Doesn't matter, that doesn't fit the narrative. Saban will get blamed for this since he's the best.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Maybe Notre Dame would have had a better record if they had practiced with some pros.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Urban Meyer might get in trouble because after the first practice Hartline tweeted that he was going to be back for another practice. He shouldn't have done that because that could be considered announcing ahead of time.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.