CFP chaos: Who's your top 4 now?

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I can't understand people putting Louisville ahead of Clemson at this point. Yes, Clemson has a worse loss, but they also have the better win -- they beat Louisville. Can anyone explain this?

Also, I don't understand Michigan getting any love over Clemson. The wolverines lost to Iowa, which has to be the worst loss of the day.

What an ugly week of football. (Though it sure was fun to watch!)

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can't understand people putting Louisville ahead of Clemson at this point. Clemson beat them. Yes, Clemson has a worse loss, but they also have the better win -- they beat Louisville.
Worse - Louisville has no good wins while Clemson has several. In every way, Clemson has a better resume.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Maybe no one..
possibly, but that would take us back to pre 1973 NCs in which everyone questions legitimacy of national championships

I believe firmly in teams being punished for bad losses. .
I think many college football fans don't understand the playoff system and how it works. Resume trumps feelings and perception. In the BCS it was the other way around in 2/3 of the voting. Clemson's and Michigan's resume trumps most teams in the country, but rankings this week DO NOT matter because there are so many key games left to play that you don't know the 4. Also take into account this really isn't a true playoff system. Its a plus 1 system that the venues are bowl games. So there is little reward of being #1 as opposed to #4. The rankings are irrelevant as long as you are in.

Top 4 teams don't lose those games.
the 2014 national champ lost to an unranked team at home. Oklahoma lost to an unranked team last year. But can you make a case against either? You could maybe make a case against tosu, but you will have to say the cfp is corrupt, and the whole thing is a sham. But that's a different debate.

Point is mulligans happen twice as often in a playoff and quasi playoff system

A loss against a ranked opponent in a tough game? Sure. A loss against an unranked team? No.
Based on what rankings? PSU was unranked when they beat tosu but now they are scratching on the door of playing for a national championship. The CFP rankings are a magic trick in what happens behind the top 10 rankings because they posture certain teams to help spread the wealth amongst conferences to get in. If you look at things behind the top 10, you can see that it really benefits teams from the PAC 12 to get back into the championship discussion, but really how many of those teams could stay on the field with a team like LSU who is ranked #24?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I gave a longer reply in a different thread, but you guys counting out OU are crazy. The committee is going to be drinking their kool-aid because they are playing as well as anyone (outside of us) right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Right NOW:

1. Bama
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville
4. Michigan

Clemson losing to an unranked team at home hurts them for the fourth spot IMO.
Seeing how the AP and coaches top 4 are typically the CFP top 4, I'd say this is what you will see Tuesday night. BAMA will win out and stay at 1. I think OSU will win out and knock out Michigan securing the #2 seed.

I see Clemson or Louisville losing, the other taking the #3 seed.

The 4 seed IMO is a dog fight between Washington, Penn St-Wisconsin winner, and OU assuming all 3 win out. (If they go with Penn St/Wisconsin winner I could see them bumping them to 3 to avoid a potential all B10 final.)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I gave a longer reply in a different thread, but you guys counting out OU are crazy. The committee is going to be drinking their kool-aid because they are playing as well as anyone (outside of us) right now.

Not counting them out, but I don't see OU getting in over any of the top 10 one-loss teams.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
OU will not get in over any of the top 10 one-loss teams.
I guarantee they'll be ranked ahead of Washington this week. I also guarantee if they win out impressively the committee is going to weigh their conference championship very heavily.

I never said they'd get in, but if they win out they'll finish top 5.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

I agree. I posted somewhere that they were one of the two big beneficiaries yesterday, the other being Penn St.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Seeing how the AP and coaches top 4 are typically the CFP top 4, I'd say this is what you will see Tuesday night. BAMA will win out and stay at 1. I think OSU will win out and knock out Michigan securing the #2 seed.

I see Clemson or Louisville losing, the other taking the #3 seed.

The 4 seed IMO is a dog fight between Washington, Penn St-Wisconsin winner, and OU assuming all 3 win out. (If they go with Penn St/Wisconsin winner I could see them bumping them to 3 to avoid a potential all B10 final.)
I realize this is no longer an improbable scenario, but let me just say once and for all, if the B1G gets two teams into the playoff it will be a travesty.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I can't understand people putting Louisville ahead of Clemson at this point. Yes, Clemson has a worse loss, but they also have the better win -- they beat Louisville. Can anyone explain this?

Also, I don't understand Michigan getting any love over Clemson. The wolverines lost to Iowa, which has to be the worst loss of the day.

What an ugly week of football. (Though it sure was fun to watch!)
If they both win out I'd probably put Clemson back in.But I'm not dropping them only one place the day after they lose to a fairly average opponent.Plus they honestly should have two losses.
Clemson has not been that impressive at all to me.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
If they both win out I'd probably put Clemson back in.But I'm not dropping them only one place the day after they lose to a fairly average opponent.Plus they honestly should have two losses.
Clemson has not been that impressive at all to me.
Who is the 2nd loss to? Are you assuming that Louisville should have beat them, or was it another game?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I said this

Big XII

needs help

Oklahoma
- needs to win out and needsWashington, WSU, and possibly Utah/Colorado to drop another game. Their hopes are based around either the Pac 12 or the acc not making it. It is easier for them to hope for the Pac 12.
I think OU still needs the ACC or PAC 12 to drop another one, but overall I agree that the CFP wants this matchup:

Peach

Bama vs Clemson

Fiesta

tosu/Michigan vs Oklahoma

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
N.C. State missed a chip shot feel goal in the final few seconds that would have won the game, and then lost in overtime.

I agree Sip, seems like Clemson had more games than not that they underperformed. You expected them to receive everyone's A-game week end and week out, but that doesn't mean that you don't bring your A-game in return. Their A-game is better than everyone's A-game they had on their schedule ... they only two that would have been close in talent is Louisville and FSU. In a year where they entered in with so much promise ... they underperformed badly through most of the season. Heck, they should have lost to Troy to be honest.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I said this

I think OU still needs the ACC or PAC 12 to drop another one, but overall I agree that the CFP wants this matchup:

Peach

Bama vs Clemson

Fiesta

tosu/Michigan vs Oklahoma
You really think they want a rematch in the first round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They're darn sure explosive. Inconsistent but explosive. Impressive? To me, yes. If they don't call off the dogs they could have literally scored 100 against Florida State.
Flashy offense never impresses me. They don't play defense. They are a one player team and would not even be bowl eligible without the QB. Alabama and Ohio State would take Louisville apart.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They're darn sure explosive. Inconsistent but explosive. Impressive? To me, yes. If they don't call off the dogs they could have literally scored 100 against Florida State.
should have lost to Virginia. NC State is a .500 team and Virginia is a .200 team, so who's near escape was worse. Louisville is like Michigan in that they run up the score on far inferior talent to boost their false stock.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.