Michigan qb out for season

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Saturday night was the first time I actually sat and WATCHED Michigan play. They didn't look particularly impressive at all and this was before the injury to the QB. How have they been beating some of these teams by 40+ pts? Did I just catch them on an off night or are they a bit overrated?
They wear teams down. The score just builds and builds. I have, against my wishes, thought they were pretty good. But I wasn't sure if they were ready to beat OSU. No way that happens now IMO. The Buckeyes are headed back to the playoffs.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Maybe, but also consider that the committee would consider something like this. Loss of a key player that might return for the playoff is something that they have talked about in the past. So, even if the chance of his return is low, Harbaugh is going to want the playoff committee to think that he will be back.
So ..... if I were HC and said my QB probably would be back for the playoffs ..... and got seeded ..... and didn't bring him back...... No, Harbaugh would never try to play the committee like that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If that new QB struggles, they could lose to Indiana...they're losing to OSU either way even if Speights was good to go.

Michigan is going to the Cap One Bowl this holiday season

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I can't argue with any of this. I'm not a Niner fan and do not keep up with them at all. I am just going by what started leaking out after he left from the reporters of the NFL Network. I also (maybe mistakenly) pieced together his train wreck of an interview with Colin Cowerd and then took testimonials from his brother and his wife about some of his "odd" behavior. Goes to show there's two sides to every story. Thanks for the correction.
Yeah. The Niners front office leaked all of that stuff. Trent Dilfer (ESPN) and Chris Myers (FOX) are their mouthpieces. They hosed Kaepernick (before everything happened this year) too. The original deal of the one that he restructured just recently was one that was heavy in incentives and not much guarantees. He took a lot less money because they told him they'd use the leftover money to keep his pieces around him. Well...free agency comes up. They let his RG Mike Iupati walk. They let his starting center walk. They let Frank Gore walk. They let Michael Crabtree walk. Anthony Davis (starting RT retires). He did so a year later, but his starting LG Alex Boone left. Patrick Willis abruptly retired. They let Donte Whitner walk. They traded Vernon Davis. Add in Aldon Smith being a trainwreck mentally and Chris Borland retiring after only 1 season on top of the fact that Harbaugh was pretty much pushed out over Trent Baalke's ego and it's a mess.
Well, in the middle of all of this Baalke and his crew were going directly to Dilfer and Myers to tell them that it was all Kaepernick's fault. This is why he tried so badly to get out of their this offseason, but nobody wanted him at the price tag he was asking. Even when Chip Kelly decided he would give him a go this season, they leaked to the national media that Kaepernick had been the worst QB in practice. The local beat writers, who Baalke has completely alienated, say that that couldn't be farther from the truth. So yeah....Baalke's the problem. He sucks. I'd take Harbaugh in a heartbeat. He gets results.

That said, he is a jerk. My little cousin played against him in college (when he was at U of San Diego) and he said he's by far the least sportsmanlike opposing coach he's ever been around.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If that new QB struggles, they could lose to Indiana...they're losing to OSU either way even if Speights was good to go.

Michigan is going to the Cap One Bowl this holiday season
I agree - Indiana's defense is pretty solid. They don't field an offense, but neither did Iowa.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
As a 49er fan, I can tell you with certainty that his players loved him. And the people who couldn't stand working with him are the problem. Most con artists don't like being around people who can see through them. Harbaugh saw right through Baalke. Jed & his mom (the owners) have yet to and don't seem like they want to.
Don't get me started on Denise & John York. Just because you sat in the family box and saw your uncle run the franchise, doesn't mean you're capable of doing it.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Saturday night was the first time I actually sat and WATCHED Michigan play. They didn't look particularly impressive at all and this was before the injury to the QB. How have they been beating some of these teams by 40+ pts? Did I just catch them on an off night or are they a bit overrated?
I have been saying the same thing for awhile now. My girlfriend is a Michigan State Alum so I got to watch them up close in East Lansing. If the home team hadn't sold their tickets and the home section was literally full of Michigan fans I think that game would have been even closer than it ended up being. They have not played anyone on the road yet worth mentioning. I think they will struggle even on a neutral site if they make it to the playoffs with all the crowd noise. JMO

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Maybe, but also consider that the committee would consider something like this. Loss of a key player that might return for the playoff is something that they have talked about in the past. So, even if the chance of his return is low, Harbaugh is going to want the playoff committee to think that he will be back.
After what OSU will do to Michigan in two weeks any talk of the playoff will be laughable.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Wish I could answer that. I think their tiebreaker is an order of magnitude more difficult to understand than ours, but I could be completely wrong.

It would be a shame if OhioState won out and PennState went instead of them, but head to head does need to factor over all other things if equal.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.