Game Thread: Dayton-Alabama (12:15 CST Tip)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Back to work and have a working ESPN feed now. My TuneIn app feed cut out while I was at lunch and started playing some random Hey Coach show. Irritating.

Yeah, that was weird. Finally got mine back, around the time we tied it up.

Close, but no cigar, for this one. Onward!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Don't want to sound to harsh with it being just the 2nd game of the year but from what we've seen so far there doesn't seem to be that much progress made from last year. These issues (which should be fixable) still causing us to lose close games:
-Boneheaded turnovers and fouls
-Bad free throw shooting
-Missing shots right at the rim
-Can't secure a rebound in key situations
-Very long (9 minute) scoring drought
-Taking bad shots

With what we've seen so far I would guess we'll end up somewhere in the middle of the pack in conference play. Maybe the team will make a lot of progress as the season goes on. Sure hope so.

I agree with others in the game thread about the poor officiating but it was poor for both teams. Dayton shot 33 free throws and we shot 30. This one isn't on the refs but more on the issues I mentioned above which have nothing to do with talent.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Great effort but we couldn't seem to find the right combination. Dazon and Davis looked very good to me.
Do you mean Key or Collins? I don't think ArMond Davis did that much until he banked that 3 at the end of the game.

Don't want to sound to harsh with it being just the 2nd game of the year but from what we've seen so far there doesn't seem to be that much progress made from last year. These issues (which should be fixable) still causing us to lose close games:
-Boneheaded turnovers and fouls
-Bad free throw shooting
-Missing shots right at the rim
-Can't secure rebound in key situation
-Very long (9 minute) scoring drought
-Taking bad shots

With what we've seen so far I would guess we'll end up somewhere in the middle of the pack in conference play. Maybe the team will make a lot of progress as the season goes on. Sure hope so.

I agree with others in the game thread about the poor officiating but it was poor for both teams. Dayton shot 33 free throws and we shot 30. This one isn't on the refs but more on the issues I mentioned above.
Remember, two of the best and most important players on this team are freshmen in Key and Ingram (injury took away pretty much all of last year). Braxton is still adjusting to the college game.

Avery is still working on the rotations, too.

Plus, Hale is still recovering from his injury; I'm not positive he's 100%.

Things will improve as the players continue to gel.

Saw someone say six of the eleven players today were guys not playing last year not including Dazon. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think the team will continue to get better as they get more experience together.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
"Do you mean Key or Collins? I don't think ArMond Davis did that much until he banked that 3 at the end of the game."

He didn't play a lot but looked like he had a smooth delivery on a few free throws.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's way too early to judge this team. We played Dayton down to the wire and they had most everybody back from a tournament team that I believe advanced to the second round last year.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Sure thing. Just thought in CAJ's second season we could beat a fringe tournament team at home. Most of the play from the new players (Ingram and Key) is encouraging.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
It's just nice to actually watch a team play team ball and have multiple scorers this year instead of standing and dribbling and a high ball screen for a guard and a terrible shot or good play with one guy doing all our scoring...IE Obasohan, Randolph, & Releford LOL. I am looking forward to an interesting and exciting season. We played with and should have beaten a legit tournament team. If a few of our shots from three that rattled in and out go down, we win that game by 6 to 8 points.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I kept hearing great things about King's performance at practices and kind of expected solid production from him. He hasn't shown much so far. Is he a little banged up or something mental going on or was I expecting too much?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's way too early to judge this team. We played Dayton down to the wire and they had most everybody back from a tournament team that I believe advanced to the second round last year.
We are a better team this year, I think it is safe to say. I know home court is huge, but they mopped the floor with us last year. If not for a few really boneheaded mistakes, we should have won today.

I truly expect the mistakes will decline as the year goes on. Some things may yet take another year to fix. Maybe we are still on the bubble of the big dance at the end of this season, but I feel confident we are headed in the right direction.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We are a better team this year, I think it is safe to say. I know home court is huge, but they mopped the floor with us last year. If not for a few really boneheaded mistakes, we should have won today.

I truly expect the mistakes will decline as the year goes on. Some things may yet take another year to fix. Maybe we are still on the bubble of the big dance at the end of this season, but I feel confident we are headed in the right direction.
Oh we are definitely headed in the right direction.
Basketball is kind of a funny game. Even the very best teams seem to struggle a bit early until they find the right rotation of players and develop some team chemistry. I think Coach Avery is still experimenting trying to figure that out.
This team is a mystery, at least at the moment. I'll say this though, when that incoming class gets here next year, look out.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Just got in. We had a huge charge call on Ingram that was a game changer. It was on the other side of the court from me so I could not see it, but it looked like a call the home team usually gets. That was a 4 or 5 point swing. The head of the crew was OK, but the other guy wanted to be seen and he made some terrible calls. But that one was the worst and IMHO cost us the game.

We need Armond or Norris to be able to consistently hits 3's at some point. We just could not find points in the 2nd half and he tried almost everyone. Corban did all he could, but I don't blame him for the errant shot at the end. I still think we are better at every position, but these guys have played together for only about 6 weeks. Dayton started 4 seniors. Give our guys time to figure out their roles. We'll be fine.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Went to the game today. This will be a better team than last year. I won't say we should have won, but certainly could have won. Ingram's turnover was a crusher, no idea what his thought process was there.I think Davis has the ugliest shot I've seen for someone that's supposed to be a 3-pt guy, awful form. We're still in need of a scorer, we have plenty of shooters, and left more than enough points to win on the free throw line. This group will get better the more they play together. I think we won the battle of the boards but couldn't get the big ones at the end. Overall, I'm encouraged and look forward to getting to a few more games.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Glad to hear all of the comments, I'm getting more and more hopeful about this team

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.