Strong is probably gone at Texas - Kansas beats Texas for the first time since 1938

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
That is embarrassing. This isn't even a good Kansas team. Including tonight, that is the second game they have won in two years. And it's been what, 3, 4yrs since Strong was hired? Hard to use the "had to clean house and rebuild" excuse anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That is embarrassing. This isn't even a good Kansas team. Including tonight, that is the second game they have won in two years. And it's been what, 3, 4yrs since Strong was hired? Hard to use the "had to clean house and rebuild" excuse anymore.

As I've said numerous times before, he got rid of too many players in his first year there. If he kept a few of those guys around, he might have been able to win a couple of more games. The team is rarely young right now, though.

All of that being said, he's gone after tonight. No way Texas keeps a guy that loses to Kansas.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As I've said numerous times before, he got rid of too many players in his first year there.
While I generally agree, he's in year three - IOW, he could literally have cut every single player he inherited and he could still have 75 on scholarship.

IOW, at this point, his team's performance is inexcusable. He has to go. There's been ZERO improvement.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
While I generally agree, he's in year three - IOW, he could literally have cut every single player he inherited and he could still have 75 on scholarship.

IOW, at this point, his team's performance is inexcusable. He has to go. There's been ZERO improvement.
It's weird because Strong was very good at Louisville. I don't think he is a bad coach. But he just didn't hack it at Texas for whatever reason.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So he would have a pretty young team then, would he not? Talking about having mainly RS sophomores and juniors playing. You still need experienced leaders. Saw someone mention this was Mack's last senior class. The next coach will inherit better talent than Charlie did. That's for sure.

This is brutal.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So he would have a pretty young team then, would he not? Talking about having mainly RS sophomores and juniors playing. You still need experienced leaders.
Agreed, but even then there's zero excuse to losing to a 1-9 team. Zero. He obviously can't get what needs to be done at Texas. Does anyone really, honestly believe that if CCS was at Texas for three more years they would be in the playoffs?

I can't imagine anyone believes that. He's just not the right guy for Texas. Not a knock on his ability - I think he's a good coach - but he's obviously not the guy for Texas right now...

For the record, I really - REALLY - like Charlie Strong, and would LOVE for him to work at Alabama in some capacity.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Agreed, but even then there's zero excuse to losing to a 1-9 team. Zero. He obviously can't get what needs to be done at Texas. Does anyone really, honestly believe that if CCS was at Texas for three more years they would be in the playoffs?

I can't imagine anyone believes that. He's just not the right guy for Texas. Not a knock on his ability - I think he's a good coach - but he's obviously not the guy for Texas right now...

For the record, I really - REALLY - like Charlie Strong, and would LOVE for him to work at Alabama in some capacity.
Oh, I agree. He can't lose to Kansas. He's done now.

Every time they looked to be moving forward, they took about three steps back.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Texas will get a good coach. Strong has the next guy in a great position. The right coach easily wins 9-10 games next year.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Misleading thread title - should read "Strong is definitely gone at Texas...".

I can hear the Texas sized Brinks truck backing up to Tom Herman's house already.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
With all the Jimbo to LSU rumors, I wonder if he's getting any consideration from Texas. Don't know if he's recruited Texas much, if at all, between his time at LSU and FSU.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
This makes me crazy sad. Not now nor ever a Texas fan, but like many was a huge fan of strong. He came into a mess and handled everything with class. Not sure how many of you tracked his initial tenure there.

He took the longhorns off the uniforms saying that members of the team would earn the horns, earn their spots. He got pushback from all the older guys. Tweets, interviews, rumors, etc. He was very upfront about it all, and simply said you play for me now. If you're not down, I'll sign the transfer for wherever you want to go.

I've enjoyed their wins the last few years, and been boggled when they've lost all those games they had no business losing (case in point, Kansas a few hours ago.)

I don't doubt he'll succeed elsewhere, but sad for this "blemish" on his record.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.