John F. Kennedy assassination, November 22, 1963

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I was in Mrs. Hutto's 5th-grade math class. I ashamed to say that I, and several others, stood up and cheered when she made the announcement. Always wonder if things would have been different if he had lived.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I was in Mrs. Hutto's 5th-grade math class. I ashamed to say that I, and several others, stood up and cheered when she made the announcement. Always wonder if things would have been different if he had lived.
Weird that! I was in 5th grade. We were called to assembly in the auditorium for the announcement. There were also cheers there as well. I don't hear well and didn't hear the announcement. I had no clue why the cheers. I never understood the cheers from grammar school kids.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Weird that! I was in 5th grade. We were called to assembly in the auditorium for the announcement. There were also cheers there as well. I don't hear well and didn't hear the announcement. I had no clue why the cheers. I never understood the cheers from grammar school kids.
Well, as for me, my parents were very conservative people who had grown up in the rural south. Remember the billboards that said Impeach Earl Warren? Catholics were anathema. Nonetheless, cheering was bad manners.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My father (a 20 year Navy veteran) did not like JFK.....he used to say "What's so special about a man who lost one of our PT boats?"

But I don't remember anyone cheering or being pleased - I just don't understand that kind of narrow mindedness....

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Note to Donald Trump. Don't start printing money without the Federal Reserve's consent. Or, don't block the effort to either expand the war effort to benefit the oil companies. Either of those will get you shot.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Don't feel too bad. I actually had some fellow students cheer when Reagan got shot when I was in the sixth grade. I was for Carter, but that was just plain stupid.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My father (a 20 year Navy veteran) did not like JFK.....he used to say "What's so special about a man who lost one of our PT boats?"

But I don't remember anyone cheering or being pleased - I just don't understand that kind of narrow mindedness....

Several years ago, my ole man and I was sitting there talking about the different Presidents (he was born in Missouri during Truman's Presidency, so he has good recall of the later years of that one). I was VERY surprised at what he had to say. He rated Bush 41 (this was when Clinton was still Prez btw) as the best President in his lifetime - which was hilarious because he hated the guy and talked smack about him when he was in office and yet voted for him twice. I was puzzled, but he also thought very highly of Gerald Ford, which I thought really weird.

When asked the worst, he replied without hesitation that the two worst BY FAR were JFK and LBJ. And he actually rated Kennedy worse. So when I asked why, he basically said that the only reason he thought JFK was worse was because the man was unquestionably intelligent and politically stupid in so many ways; he at least could say that LBJ was a Texas bumpkin who wasn't all that sharp to begin with. (Btw - he also said Reagan's Presidency was the biggest acting show ever put on, which also amused me).

But here's another one - my ex-FIL who was a Louisiana Catholic points out that NOW there's all this historical revisionism that JFK was a popular guy. As he pointed out, JFK only became popular AFTER he died. Indeed, as he said, if you see the movie "JFK" there's a lot of accuracy of what even a lot of non-Catholic Louisianans thought of him.

And with his civil rights stands in the South, let's just say he was not that liked by most white Southerners (from all I've been told firsthand), either.

Oh btw - my great grandfather was a Baptist preacher and yellow dog Democrat. He sat out the 1960 election because: a) he couldn't vote for no Republican; and b) he couldn't vote for no Catholic, either. He died in 1962, so his last vote was for Adlai in 1956 (don't ask me how he justified voting for a divorced candidate in that time).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Well, as for me, my parents were very conservative people who had grown up in the rural south. Remember the billboards that said Impeach Earl Warren? Catholics were anathema. Nonetheless, cheering was bad manners.
It is beyond bad manners, it is down right disgusting. I am no fan of Obama or Trump, but I hope anyone cheering their murder on here gets a suspension and a barn avatar.

I don't mean this as an attack on what you did as a fifth grader and I think you know it was wrong, I was just saying how I felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
It is beyond bad manners, it is down right disgusting. I am no fan of Obama or Trump, but I hope anyone cheering their murder on here gets a suspension and a barn avatar.

I don't mean this as an attack on what you did as a fifth grader and I think you know it was wrong, I was just saying how I felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You saw the part where he said, "I'm ashamed to say that, I..." right?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was in grad law school in NYC. I was standing in the living room of my 16th floor apartment off Washington Square when my best friend, another lawyer, from Florence, burst in crying. Don was about five years older and stood about 6'5". Seeing him crying was arresting, to say the least. He told me and we turned on Cronkite. Actually, we turned on about a half dozen Cronkites, since we were situated too close to WCBS and even moving your hands affected the ghost images. We were watching when Walter announced the death and broke down himself. One of those times you don't forget...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Yeah, anyone alive on that day can remember where he/she was and how they reacted. That and 9/11 are the greatest tragedies in my lifetime. Even thought the "solid South" was democrat in those days, there was little love for JFK. It is funny how history can change the perception of an individual. I believe had he lived the 1960's would have been very different.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.