New Coach at LSU - announcement at 1:00 EST (12:00 CST)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Dylan Moses tweeted from the game this afternoon that he was looking forward to starting his next chapter at Bama in January! I don't think we have to worry.
I also read somewhere that he has been actively recruiting for Alabama.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Initially the players will love Coach 'O'...
Expect more Rah Rah, and Chest Bumps to excite the players.
Problem is what's left when the emotion wears off.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Hand raised here for Kiffin.
If he does we could promote Sark.

If I were O the offensive coach I would go after is Burton Burns. He's a great recruiter and has LA ties. I'm surprised he's not been given a chance at OC before. Now I don't think there's any remote chance he would go to LSU. But it would be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
If he does we could promote Sark.

If I were O the offensive coach I would go after is Burton Burns. He's a great recruiter and has LA ties. I'm surprised he's not been given a chance at OC before. Now I don't think there's any remote chance he would go to LSU. But it would be worth a try.

Outside of us Bama nerds, I don't think Coach Burns gets nearly as much due as he deserves. He's coached 3 Heisman finalists and 2 winners

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I really really don't understand why The Swamp Kittens, folded so soon on hiring or interviewing, other young good HC's like PJ Fleck or other HC's once the season is over with..

It's not like Coach O was going to pressure them into anything & he would've waited as long as the process took, it wasn't going to hurt recruiting, not any more than any damage that's already been done since firing Miles..Tom Herman shouldn't have been the only name on the hiring list..Maybe they need to fire Joe Alleva as well & clean house from Top to Bottom while they're at it..

They needed to bring in fresh blood with this hire & they settle for Coach O which will basically become a "Miles 2.0" upgrade in a couple years..As a Bama Fan it thrills me Coach O got the job, if I were a Swamp kitten Fan, I'd prolly be on a 2 week ban from the bad things I had posted..LOL

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Bottom line, they botched the entire process, going back to last year. They should have fired Miles at the end of last year but chose to keep him to save face after the word got out.

And what was the end result? Ed Orgeron...it just defies all logic.

They fired Miles because he couldn't beat Saban, and hired a guy who can't beat Saban. They can dig their own grave for all I care. We already own them anyway, this just makes it worse for them. What a colossal swing and miss...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Honestly, I think Kiffin gets a HC job somewhere and LSU will probably try to pull Tee Martin away from USC. He would help Mobile area recruiting and he fits the "someone in the Pete Carroll tree" qualifier.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Outside of us Bama nerds, I don't think Coach Burns gets nearly as much due as he deserves. He's coached 3 Heisman finalists and 2 winners
You forget CJ Spiller and James Davis at Clemson, too. The "thunder and lightening" combo of 2006-2008.

Jean Lafitte

1st Team
Dec 31, 2004
Re: New Coach at LSU 1:00

We own L6U for the next 3 to 4 years.
Here's my take on it.

LSU has surrendered. There was no serious coaching search. This hire signals that LSU accepts that they will be at best second place in the SEC West while Saban remains at Alabama.

This was supposed to be a playoff year for the LSU Tiger faithful. This LSU team is more experienced than most, and, this experience produced failure. This failure triggered the surrender and the acceptance that LSU won't be winning any NCs while Saban remains at Alabama.

WRT LSU football, that program has almost always taken a "bargain bin" approach to hiring a new HC. The sole exception was when Coach Saban was hired there. Miles was a rather "bargain bin" hire and Coach Orgeron is not only "bargain bin", it also reeks of "I quit".

The LSU Administration is not serious about doing what it takes to win National Championships in football. They have demonstrated this fact for some years now. The LSU football program is making good money, and, that is enough for the LSU administration.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Here's my take on it.

LSU has surrendered. There was no serious coaching search. This hire signals that LSU accepts that they will be at best second place in the SEC West while Saban remains at Alabama.

This was supposed to be a playoff year for the LSU Tiger faithful. This LSU team is more experienced than most, and, this experience produced failure. This failure triggered the surrender and the acceptance that LSU won't be winning any NCs while Saban remains at Alabama.

WRT LSU football, that program has almost always taken a "bargain bin" approach to hiring a new HC. The sole exception was when Coach Saban was hired there. Miles was a rather "bargain bin" hire and Coach Orgeron is not only "bargain bin", it also reeks of "I quit".

The LSU Administration is not serious about doing what it takes to win National Championships in football. They have demonstrated this fact for some years now. The LSU football program is making good money, and, that is enough for the LSU administration.
To be fair, with the talent LSU is able to get all they need is to get a qb's coach/offensive coordinator who can develop a quarterback and they will have as good a shot as any at winning a title. They have already retained the DC that held our offense to 10 pts. If Orgeron can make a solid hire at the OC and simply get out of the way. Their offense wouldn't be as easy to stop with a true talent at QB and a good OC calling the plays.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

I'm betting that Orgeron comes in with a low salary (relative to the going rate at the top programs these days), a low buyout, and a short leash. His main saving grace that may ensure a longer tenure is the fact that arguably every other program in the SEC West (with the exception of our program) is on a downward, or at best neutral, trajectory right now.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: New Coach at LSU 1:00 EST (12:00 CST)

Coach O head coaching record: 21-29.
Not exactly an A+ resume.
But good enough for LSU to slink back to average.
Coach Gene Stallings resume in 1990:
27-45-1 in college
23-34-1 in NFL

Not even in Coach O's ballpark. And he had cut his teeth as a legendary assistant as well.

I'm not in any way defending Orgeron, but he's far from the worst head coach ever hired.....even by LSU's low standards.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Coach Gene Stallings resume in 1990:
27-45-1 in college
23-34-1 in NFL

Not even in Coach O's ballpark. And he had cut his teeth as a legendary assistant as well.

I'm not in any way defending Orgeron, but he's far from the worst head coach ever hired.....even by LSU's low standards.
I would argue that Stallings would be a middling head coach in today's game. He had a great defensive mind. I'll leave it there.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To be fair, it wasn't all their fault. Bo Rein died and they were stuck with Jerry Stovall.
That's true in a sense, save for the assumption Rein would have done well. He had only coached four years and turned around a team in the notoriously weak ACC. So it's a bit of an assumption to think Rein was necessarily going to do well, although he was undoubtedly a good seeming hire at the time.

And Rein died in early January right after the bowl games, so the idea they were stuck is a little bit fanciful, too. When they took Stovall, they were basically re-hiring McClendon's assistant and keeping Rein's staff, a situation made for a disaster.

Arnsbarger did well in a short time but suddenly bailed to be the Florida AD.
Well, I don't now the whole deal but......part of Arnsparger's thing was he was hired because he was chums with AD Bob Brodhead. They fought with each other and Brodhead (sort of the Edwin Edwards of the LSU athletic department) actually bugged offices to eavesdrop on NCAA investigators. Arnie had a great three years and he actually interviewed for the Florida AD job EARLY in the 1986 season and then took the job after LSU had clinched a Sugar Bowl berth. That suggests to me he was already leaving anyway. Brodhead later got terminated for ethics charges in October 1986.

Btw - when looking for LSU's replacement for Arnsparger, who was boring but effective (like Dan Devine at Notre Dame), they interviewed a no name candidate named Steve Spurrier, who had been a decent coach for the USFL's Tampa Bay franchise. Their players went in before admin and whined and got their way - an inept head coach but decent coordinator (sound familiar?) named Mike Archer, who resigned after four forgettable years.

They also interviewed Mike Shanahan during that fiasco. Also, Arnsparger recommended Archer.

As more than one LSU fan has noted, Arnsparger actually won with Stovall's recruits and Archer was stuck with Arnie's.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I would argue that Stallings would be a middling head coach in today's game. He had a great defensive mind. I'll leave it there.
There has long been a rumor that Stallings was more figurehead than anything else, particularly after he started 0-3. He DID hire some rather effective assistants, so that speaks well of him.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

LSU made the popular hire of an emotional coach in an emotionally driven situation. He will be no more successful than Les Miles...certainly not of CNS.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Really? So let me get this right....LSU fired Les Miles because he couldn't beat a Nick Saban led Alabama team. And then instead of hiring a proven head coach who had previously won championships, or even hiring a coach who had a winning record, they hire Ed Orgeron? Does anyone on the face of the earth (or at least, outside the LSU Athletic Department) believe Ed Orgeron can match wits and production outcomes with Nick Saban?

I've heard Joe Alleva hired Orgeron (after failing to close on Fisher and Herman) because he understands LSU, and he spurned Bear Bryant to attend LSU. But I think Orgeron lasted at LSU for just a short time (weeks? a month?) before quitting the team and going home. And hiring someone as a head coach because he understands LSU and the state of Louisiana? Can you imagine what kind of reactions you would get if you used these same qualifications for an Alabama Head Coach hire?

In 2 to 4 years, LSU will be hiring a new Head Coach...AGAIN. Perhaps they should first start with a new Athletic Director.

PS - Lane Kiffin would be absolutely crazy to leave Alabama for an Orgeron coached team.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.