The playoff committee is about to get tested

tidegrandpa

All-American
Tuesday night will answer a bunch of questions. If they still have Ohio St 2nd, they make a strong statement that BAMA and OSU are in regardless of the Championship games. If OSU is bumped to 3, they are setting up to bump OSU if Penn St beats Wisconsin. Just like they dumped TCU from 3 to 5 2 years ago.

My final 4 are BAMA, Clemson, Washington, Penn St.
As it should be.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Going to be:

#1 Bama (in and top-seed no matter what)
#2 Clemson (assuming they win their ACC championship game)
#3 Penn State (assuming they win their B1G championship game)
#4 Washington (assuming they win their PAC12 championship game)

I'm afraid that Ohio State, Michigan and Oklahoma will be left out in this scenario. That being said, Ohio State only needs for one of these teams to lose their conference championship game -- then, they're in. Relatively good odds. If two lose, then Michigan gets in. If three lose, then maybe Oklahoma gets in.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'll say this. I'm glad Ohio State eeked out a win over an obviously better Michigan team.
Without the turnovers, Michigan wins this game big.
Ohio State's offense is absolutely pathetic. One of their biggest alumni, Robert Griffith said it on Sirius radio last week and I agree.
I hope to goodness they somehow get into the playoff and that we get to play them in round one.
And I hope we get to play the winner of Clemson-Wisconsin in the championship game and Wisconsin is the opponent!!
There are two teams that "scare me", and none of them are from the Big Ten.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
They can, but it is not clear that they will. The way that Clemson is playing right now, they might move up to #2 this week.
Clemson could beat USCe 100-0 and there isn't justification for that move. You guys beat the #3 team today. USCe is a NR middle of the pack SEC team.

Right now it's a dogfight for #4 between Washington and Penn St/Wisc. If you guys were the #4 seed I would be worried but you are already #2.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
They can, but it is not clear that they will. The way that Clemson is playing right now, they might move up to #2 this week.
Meh. Clemson winning big over usce vs the Ohio win over Michigan (the team who loses but doesn't drop). I can't see why they'd move them clemson up

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I don't see how you keep an 11-2 B1G champ out over an 11-1 non-champ. Nor can I see that same 11-1 non-champ getting in over any 12-1 champions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't see how you keep an 11-2 B1G champ out over an 11-1 non-champ. Nor can I see that same 11-1 non-champ getting in over any 12-1 champions.
Unless the 11-2 champ is Wisconsin, who Ohio State beat soundly in Wisconsin.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Unless the 11-2 champ is Wisconsin, who Ohio State beat soundly in Wisconsin.
It's possible, but I think they are setting themselves up for some heavy criticism if they do.

An 11 win champion should go to the playoffs vs an 11 win non-champ if the whole thing about conference champions getting favoritism is true. If it is was a 10 win Wisconsin, then I'd say definitely OSU gets in over them.

This is 2011 version 2.0, which is what I thought the CFP was setup to prevent from ever happening again.

It will definitely be an interesting day when they release the final rankings.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The CFPC is not going to put PSU or Wisconsin in over a one loss tOSU unless Clemson or Washington lose in their conference championship games. If everybody wins out it will be
1. Alabama
2. tOSU
3. Clemmons
4. Washington

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Next week's CFP poll will probably be this:
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Washington

but I think after the conference championships it could look like this:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Wisconsin or Penn State
If this happens but Washington wins, the whole dang thing is a farce.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I disagree with most of you guys. A 2 loss conference champ still has 2 losses. Those losses have to mean something otherwise, what's the point in playing the games. So some of you are saying that you'd be okay with UF getting in over us if they win tonight and next week, even though Bama is clearly the better team?

We talk about the regular season has to count, well then you can't just throw out the losses for conference champs.

This is about getting the 4 best teams, not the 4 best conference champs. I think OSU is one of the 4 best teams right now. Did they look great today, no but they played the #3 team in the country. It was going to be a tough game.

Sorry Wisconsin and Penn St., you got 2 losses. Congratulations on winning the conference but you shouldn't have lost 2 games if you wanted clear shot at the playoffs.

It's an interesting discussion and I'm not against a 2 loss Penn St getting in, I just don't think they should automatically get in over a 1 loss team. Your losses have to count the same as your wins IMO.

EDIT: Don't forget, Penn St. loss to Pitt, that's not a good loss. That has to count for something IMO.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I disagree with most of you guys. A 2 loss conference champ still has 2 losses. Those losses have to mean something otherwise, what's the point in playing the games. So some of you are saying that you'd be okay with UF getting in over us if they win tonight and next week, even though Bama is clearly the better team?

We talk about the regular season has to count, well then you can't just throw out the losses for conference champs.

This is about getting the 4 best teams, not the 4 best conference champs. I think OSU is one of the 4 best teams right now. Did they look great today, no but they played the #3 team in the country. It was going to be a tough game.

Sorry Wisconsin and Penn St., you got 2 losses. Congratulations on winning the conference but you shouldn't have lost 2 games if you wanted clear shot at the playoffs.

It's an interesting discussion and I'm not against a 2 loss Penn St getting in, I just don't think they should automatically get in over a 1 loss team. Your losses have to count the same as your wins IMO.
Well, if Penn State wins, they will have 11 wins. So will Ohio State. Even on the wins right? Let's compare the losses: Ohio State lost one of their games to PSU. Penn State lost the other game to Michigan. Pretty even right? Still, PSU will have a conference championship that Ohio State won't. In my opinion, PSU should be in. They will have a more impressive resume at that point. Not by much mind you but just enough. It's better to play a game and lose than it is to not be invited to play the game.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
So some of you are saying that you'd be okay with UF getting in over us if they win tonight and next week, even though Bama is clearly the better team?
Not at all. A 12 win Bama gets in over a 10 win Florida in this case.

Whichever team wins the B1G will have 11 wins...the same as OSU except the winner will also have a B1G championship, which is what the CFP committee said they were going to look at. If they were at 10 wins vs 11 win OSU, then I'd give the nod to OSU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not at all. A 12 win Bama gets in over a 10 win Florida in this case.

Whichever team wins the B1G will have 11 wins...the same as OSU except the winner will also have a B1G championship, which is what the CFP committee said they were going to look at. If they were at 10 wins vs 11 win OSU, then I'd give the nod to OSU.

Convenient that more wins gets you in but more losses wouldn't keep Wisconsin out. Hmmmmmm :wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.