The playoff committee is about to get tested

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Convenient that more wins gets you in but more losses wouldn't keep Wisconsin out. Hmmmmmm
Yes I think wins are more important than losses. Just my opinion, but if the conference champion plays an extra game and can get to the same number of wins as a non champ, they should be given the go ahead.

Obviously being an OSU fan, you are going to be biased towards OSU, and I understand that completely. I'd be the same towards Bama. This is just my opinion though on the matter, but my opinion really doesn't matter. They will choose who they think are the best teams either way. ☺

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1. Alabama
2. Ohio St.
3. Clemson
4. Michigan
Watch and see. Then they won't have a leg to stand on when they try to deny two SEC schools.
If Washington wins out and they don't get in because Michigan is included they ought to blow up the whole playoff system.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
The problem here seems to be that there are national rankings and conference rankings, and the two have nothing to do with each other. College football has always been kind of a regional sport, and kind of a national sport, but cannot decide which. So, Ohio State has one loss, and is ranked number 2, Penn State has two loses and is ranked number 7, but Penn State is playing in the Big 10 championship game and Ohio State is not. So, somehow Ohio State is ranked higher than Penn State, even though Penn State won their division, and Ohio State did not. I think college football needs to be less obsessed with the loss column, and instead look at the whole picture.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The problem here seems to be that there are national rankings and conference rankings, and the two have nothing to do with each other. College football has always been kind of a regional sport, and kind of a national sport, but cannot decide which. So, Ohio State has one loss, and is ranked number 2, Penn State has two loses and is ranked number 7, but Penn State is playing in the Big 10 championship game and Ohio State is not. So, somehow Ohio State is ranked higher than Penn State, even though Penn State won their division, and Ohio State did not. I think college football needs to be less obsessed with the loss column, and instead look at the whole picture.
And I think that the conference championship games need to be dissolved. They add a complexity to this that should not exist. The best 4 teams should play, even if they all come from the same conference.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
And I think that the conference championship games need to be dissolved. They add a complexity to this that should not exist. The best 4 teams should play, even if they all come from the same conference.
Some years...some years it brings clarity.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Colorado makes it to the PAC CG. They are good enough to beat Washington.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
IMO, Wisky, OKIE, and OKIE Lite are out even with conference titles. Wisky and Okie's performances vs tOSU should keep them lower than Ohio St. OKIE Lite lost to Baylol and shouldn't have put themselves in a position to lose against C. Mich. I know the refs blew the call at the end but they had the whole game to do what they're supposed to do.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, Wisky, OKIE, and OKIE Lite are out even with conference titles. Wisky and Okie's performances vs tOSU should keep them lower than Ohio St. OKIE Lite lost to Baylol and shouldn't have put themselves in a position to lose against C. Mich. I know the refs blew the call at the end but they had the whole game to do what they're supposed to do.
Unless Washington loses - then all bets are off.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
How does Ohio State go without winning their division? Do conferences not matter?
I'm honestly a bit disheartened to see Alabama fans trying to use tie breakers (within a conference) as justification for who gets in and who doesn't. Tie breakers are trivialities. They are arbitrary ways of settling things. Besides that, not all games are played in conference. How do we have reason to believe Ohio State is more deserving than Penn State for example? Well, Penn State lost to Pitt and Michigan (who Ohio State beat). Ohio State only lost to Penn State, hence Ohio State with 1 loss is more deserving than Penn State is with 2 losses.

See how simple that is? It's amazing how clear logic makes things, and how mucked up people want these playoffs to be. Right now the top 4 is still pretty darn clear.

Oh and to directly answer your question, why the heck should the Big 10 matter to us anyway? I mean, it isn't important to me who wins their conference. That's not some magical super special thing that I think should be an express pass to the playoff. The whole season should matter, conferences should not. Who you play, who you beat, who you lose to, that's what matters. Conferences can elevate one single game to the utmost importance, when I see it was just one of many.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Taking off my crimson glasses I would love to see Florida win next week just to see the playoff hilarity ensue.

I just put them back on. I hope we curb stomp them worse than we did the barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.