The playoff committee is about to get tested

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
MONEY IS INVOLVED? Next thing you will say it TV ratings are a factor! And the fact the PAC 12 hasn't been in the playoffs yet. Then you will want to point out that if the big 10 gets the the #2 and #4 seeds it could be an all big 10 NCG. Where's my blue font? Gotta be here someplace!��
You mean the Big XII. Oregon made the playoffs in 2014.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
But Pitt beat Penn State. You have to look at the entire body of work and OSU is clearly better than Penn State.

LSU beat Bama in 2011 and it was clear who the better team was...
Entire body of work tells me that Ohio State has struggled against some really weak competition this season. Their offense isn't the same as its been in the past. Ohio State has an extremely slow offense for a D1 school. Samuel is the only speed they have and their WR's have struggled mightily all season long to get consistent separation. And look at how they beat Michigan Saturday, luck played a role in it. It wasn't exactly pretty and honestly, that is pretty much how Ohio State has played all season long. Keep in mind, I'm not taking anything away from Ohio State and its wins, its just that I think this brand of Ohio State Football is inferior to Ohio State brands we have seen in the past few years. Their offense lacks top end speed and overall talent.

In the end, we'll see, but the committee might look at Ohio State through the same lens that I just described.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Entire body of work tells me that Ohio State has struggled against some really weak competition this season. Their offense isn't the same as its been in the past. Ohio State has an extremely slow offense for a D1 school. Samuel is the only speed they have and their WR's have struggled mightily all season long to get consistent separation. And look at how they beat Michigan Saturday, luck played a role in it. It wasn't exactly pretty and honestly, that is pretty much how Ohio State has played all season long. Keep in mind, I'm not taking anything away from Ohio State and its wins, its just that I think this brand of Ohio State Football is inferior to Ohio State brands we have seen in the past few years. Their offense lacks top end speed and overall talent.
All good points. The only thing I can say is Penn St is clearly NOT one of the 4 best teams. There's absolutely no legitimate argument to support PSU being one of the 4 best teams. OSU has a very legitimate argument however.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
To be honest I really only want OSU in the playoff because we would absolutely crush them. Barrett would have a Tim Williams/Ryan Anderson imprint on him after the game.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Delany talks out both sides of his mouth. Here is a quote from earlier in the year.

We have two years of experience, and I think champions have always been a powerful tiebreaker. For a non-champion to be included in the field, that non-champion would have to be unequivocally better. Which means, to me, that's a very high bar. That's not to say that it couldn't happen.
So PSU beat Ohio State, but somehow OSU is unequivocally better?

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
To me the only team I'm concerned about is Clemson. I don't know why, but if we play Washington or Penn State it could get ugly. Even maybe Ohio State, but they probably could keep it closer. I don't know about Clemson.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
To me the only team I'm concerned about is Clemson. I don't know why, but if we play Washington or Penn State it could get ugly. Even maybe Ohio State, but they probably could keep it closer. I don't know about Clemson.
Well, we have last year as the eyeball test :) Their entire offense is basically back as far as skill positions go. The only thing different about Clemson this year, is that their defensive line isn't as good. They lack the pass rushers that they had last season. Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd haven't been properly replaced yet. So while their O might be the same, their D wont be as good as last seasons. We'd score around 40 points on them again.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Well, we have last year as the eyeball test :) Their entire offense is basically back as far as skill positions go. The only thing different about Clemson this year, is that their defensive line isn't as good. They lack the pass rushers that they had last season. Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd haven't been properly replaced yet. So while their O might be the same, their D wont be as good as last seasons.
I just don't want to get into a shootout even though we proved against Ole Miss that we could do it. I think our defense is better this year so they may not put as many points on the board as last year.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i have it Bama, Clemson, Washington, OSU...I cant put a team in the playoffs that BOTH lost to Pitt (even though Pitt isnt terrible) AND got beat 45-10 in a game. if it was just the loss to Pitt they could overcome that. But add in a 45-10 beatdown and i just cant do it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
i have it Bama, Clemson, Washington, OSU...I cant put a team in the playoffs that BOTH lost to Pitt (even though Pitt isnt terrible) AND got beat 45-10 in a game. if it was just the loss to Pitt they could overcome that. But add in a 45-10 beatdown and i just cant do it.
Besides, shouldn't aiding and abetting a serial pedophile be in the very least a tie breaker criteria for the committee?

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Bama, Clemson, Washington and here's where I go off beam

If Penn wins the B1G then Penn if Wisconsin wins it then Ohio State.

I think the Buckeyes are comfortably better than both but I only think you can make a reasonable argument if they won the head to head.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Actually I hope you are right because we would have a tougher out with Washington than PSU.
I can't really do a comparison just because I haven't watched Ped U all year more than 2 minutes, but I salivate thinking of Bama getting Wash in the first round. They are fairly talented and well coached, but athletically not near the same level as Alabama.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
if they won the head to head.
Head to head is a very dangerous road to go down. Ok, so Penn State beat Ohio State, right?

Well Penn State lost to Michigan in a blowout. They also lost to Pitt.
Pitt lost to Oklahoma St.
Oklahoma St. lost to Central Michigan.

I feel like I'm preaching from a sinking ship, but the beauty of what college football in the very least was, is that the entirety of the regular season mattered. It wasn't about winning a division (which makes head to head magically important), it wasn't about making one matchup more important than all the others. It was about the entire regular season! In this case, it's simple. Penn State lost twice, and played an easier schedule. Now, if Penn State had only one loss? If they went on to win the Big 10 championship? I think then most people would put them ahead of Ohio State.

Basically, some people want to act as though the Pitt game was meaningless because it was out of conference. Why even play the game then? Why not just call it pre-season?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well, we have last year as the eyeball test :) Their entire offense is basically back as far as skill positions go. The only thing different about Clemson this year, is that their defensive line isn't as good. They lack the pass rushers that they had last season. Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd haven't been properly replaced yet. So while their O might be the same, their D wont be as good as last seasons. We'd score around 40 points on them again.
it's pretty rare for one of saban's teams to get gashed by the same offense twice, so i think we'd do pretty well against them

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Head to head is a very dangerous road to go down. Ok, so Penn State beat Ohio State, right?

Well Penn State lost to Michigan in a blowout. They also lost to Pitt.
Pitt lost to Oklahoma St.
Oklahoma St. lost to Central Michigan.

I feel like I'm preaching from a sinking ship, but the beauty of what college football in the very least was, is that the entirety of the regular season mattered. It wasn't about winning a division (which makes head to head magically important), it wasn't about making one matchup more important than all the others. It was about the entire regular season! In this case, it's simple. Penn State lost twice, and played an easier schedule. Now, if Penn State had only one loss? If they went on to win the Big 10 championship? I think then most people would put them ahead of Ohio State.

Basically, some people want to act as though the Pitt game was meaningless because it was out of conference. Why even play the game then? Why not just call it pre-season?
I know I'm in a minority here Krazy. I'm also aware I have the least knowledge and experience but I can't get my head around ignoring the regular season conferences and who wins them.

If you do that, why bother to have them at all.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
IMHO, OSU should get in based on the body of work, despite not winning their division. If Washington wins out they should get in. Same for Clemson. Alabama could back in, but I pray not.

1. Bama
2. Clemson (here because they would be ACC Champ)
3. OSU (drop 1 and even perhaps to 4 because they are not B1G champs)
4. Washington (maybe 3 as Pac12 champs)

Chaos ensues if either Clemson or Washington (or both) lose their conference championship games. In that scenario both Bama and OSU make it in as 1-2 and the rest is a crapshoot, but I could see Clemson barely hanging in and Colorado barreling up to 3 or 4. It's possible to get a 2nd B1G team in, which would be all too convenient.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
IMHO, OSU should get in based on the body of work, despite not winning their division. If Washington wins out they should get in. Same for Clemson. Alabama could back in, but I pray not.

1. Bama
2. Clemson (here because they would be ACC Champ)
3. OSU (drop 1 and even perhaps to 4 because they are not B1G champs)
4. Washington (maybe 3 as Pac12 champs)

Chaos ensues if either Clemson or Washington (or both) lose their conference championship games. In that scenario both Bama and OSU make it in as 1-2 and the rest is a crapshoot, but I could see Clemson barely hanging in and Colorado barreling up to 3 or 4. It's possible to get a 2nd B1G team in, which would be all too convenient.
No love for the team that beat Ohio State, Penn State?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.