The playoff committee is about to get tested

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I see you just ignored where I said, if it went the other way I would not have complained because we already lost to our division champion. I guess you just had to fit it to your "hypocrite" narrative. But since Alabama fans are apparently a monolith all the sudden, "Ohio State fans have no business saying they deserve to be in the playoff after complaining about Alabama in 2011. That's called hypocrisy".

We will see where Ohio State ends up on the musical chairs after next weekend. Frankly, I hope we play Ohio State and crush you into dust. No offense. :)
And I also said that I would be fine with being left out if PSU wins the B1G, and I didn't even blink when we were left out last year. I am consistent. I accept the system that we have today, even when it isn't convenient. Also, I was very happy that Alabama got in the BCSCG in 2011. You clearly deserved it. Again, the system in use at the time got it right.

But today's system does not exclude conference non-champions. In fact, there is a provision which allows non-champions. The committee decides. But you want to change the system because it isn't convenient or in some way upsets your world view even though Alabama has benefited from this system and every other system ever implemented.

And I hope that we do not play in the playoff again. I made for a very uncomfortable month in my house in 2014. Football isn't that important. Family first.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well I agree we don't get to make that argument after 2011 but the hypocrisy has to be owned by the Big Ten. Hard to just say the best four teams should be picked because that is too subjective. USC would then be in the top four and they have three losses so they should be out because of their body of work. Frankly I think they will get it right in the end just like they did in 2011. It will be Bama, Clemson, OSU and one other team. My guess is Washington.
I agree that a whole lot of people in Columbus, and Delaney, are ready to eat their words. I see their hypocrisy as clearly as you do. I just wish that they could have seen this day coming and left the BCS alone.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Can't find the clear cut picture you refer to. What thread was it on? Thing that many are missing is the line to gain was the WHITE line, not the YELLOW line. The official ruled it a first down, and replay let it stand...So it was a first down. But keep in mind, the official knew without a shadow of a doubt exactly where the line to gain was and immediately made a decision to touch the WHITE line with the football. One inch back and it was a turnover on downs.
The best angle anywhere to found is from an angle behind the OSU offense which would automatically give the impression the ball was further up field. Likewise, if the view had been from behind the Michigan defense it would have looked shorter. I fully believe he was short......

You were saying...?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'm still waiting on a rational Alabama fan to tell me they would have been okay with Ole Miss getting in to the playoffs over us last year has they not lost to Arkansas on a FLUKE play, even after losing to Memphis. Because had they beat Arkansas, and more assuredly Florida, they'd have made the playoffs or been left out in our favor.

It's an identical situation to Penn St./tOSU, and I don't care what PSU does this weekend Ohio State deserves a spot in the 4 team playoff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm getting sick of that image, and I agree with the call on the field. That image however, has been photoshopped and manipulated to make an angled shot appear straight overhead. Look at the hash marks, that is your biggest clue, they are angled. This image is actually from behind the offense, not directly above.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
These type discussions and passionate difference of opinions are exactly why the CFPC will expand to an 8 team playoff in the not too distant future. What is happening with the current playoff situation is more likely to happen every year than having 4 undefeated, clearly superior teams without any dissension.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I'm getting sick of that image, and I agree with the call on the field. That image however, has been photoshopped and manipulated to make an angled shot appear straight overhead. Look at the hash marks, that is your biggest clue, they are angled. This image is actually from behind the offense, not directly above.
You are 100% correct and that angle greatly favors the offense in this case.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Another thing, it would be a failure of the CFP system for Ohio State to be left home each of the last two seasons. They were very clearly - by the halftime of the Cotton Bowl - the best team in the Big Ten in 2015.
As many here know I'm sure, I am good at being contrary. I both dislike arbitrary criteria like conference championships, but I also do not like the idea of selections being based on the "best team". I didn't want Alabama to play Ohio State last year, and I don't want them playing Ohio State this year. However, I believe the standard should in fact be which team had the best season. Not who the best team is, and not who won their conference championship. Who had the best overall regular season. The best body of work. I think that's what the BCS tended to do, and that to me is the only true way to preserve what is special about college football. The only way to keep the regular season important is to make the results of the entire regular season the most important factor in choosing who can play for a championship. I think the distinction between best season and best team is important.
Yes, the regular season should matter, which is why Ohio State shouldn't just get a mulligan every time they lose because in some fantasy re-do we think they might win.
I think your point is valid. The only way Ohio State should get in is because what they accomplished during the season warrants it. In the case of 2016, they played a good schedule (I've criticized them in the past for their soft schedules) and they are one of only a few one loss teams. I don't want them in, but I think they deserve it.

People who want it to be like the NFL need to just go and watch the NFL and stop trying to ruin the fun of CFB.
Yes, college football is tremendously successful. They have larger crowds attending some of their games than even the NFL has. People who want to turn college football into something else either are misguided or do not have the best interest of the sport in mind.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Very good point and I did notice that after posting it again. It still appears he got it and if not then no evidence to overturn. Either the officials got it right or they didn't. MI could have avoided the problem altogether by not letting OSU back in it at all. It's close enough that the call on the field shouldn't be questioned, IMHO. Full disclosure: I hate MI even more than OSU 90% of the time, but it still looks like a good call and certainly nothing to overturn the call on the field - nothing close to that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
These type discussions and passionate difference of opinions are exactly why the CFPC will expand to an 8 team playoff in the not too distant future. What is happening with the current playoff situation is more likely to happen every year than having 4 undefeated, clearly superior teams without any dissension.
And this is one of several reasons I argued a playoff was never really needed. We have a playoff to settle controversy right? You see controversy being settled? Neither do I. Yet, in almost every single case the BCS got it right. We don't need this crap.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Seeing how the AP and coaches polls typically mirror the CFP rankings, I think both of them having Michigan ranked at #5, above both Wisconsin and Penn St is telling. If the CFP rankings come out with OSU 2 they are a lock. If they come out with OSU at 3 but, Michigan ahead of Penn St and Wisconsin, that could be a sign that OSU is in regardless and a loss by Washington or Clemson means Michigan gets in if Penn St wins the B10 and Wisconsin if they win. I hate UM and Harbaugh but, something tells me they aren't dead yet.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Which is why the call on the field stands. I'd argue the ref had a better angle than anyone else and that if MI had put OSU away we'd not be talking about it at all.
Of course the call stood. And you would be wrong to assume the ref had a better angle, he actually had a sorry look due to the ball being blocked form his view. Try looking at the play a time or two and stop posting photo shopped pictures and making condescending comments. Thanks and RTR

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
We know from other angles where the football is.

The point was made above that the still shot seems to be this same angle rotated to where the yellow line appears straight and cropped to a close up view which all makes it appear to be an overhead shot when it is not. First down or not, MI had a chance to put them away and failed to do it so who really cares? Frankly, I wouldn't mind playing OSU in either game. Bama beats anybody else by a country mile if they simply play a clean game and anywhere near potential.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I guess I put an equivalence on best team and best season where there are some cases where that may not be true.

For example, the four most talented teams in the nations are: Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson. One of those teams is not like the others. I use pure roster talent as a factor on my qualitative analysis in favor of Ohio State but it isn't the only reason.

My reason for saying that they're clearly superior to any other Big Ten team is real simple: look at their body of work. They have played 4 teams that will likely finish in the CFP top 10; 3 of those matchups were on the road; went 2-1 on the road in said matchups and 3-1 overall. They have the best resume of any team in the nation and their OOC scheduling was much improved from their 2015 stinker of an OOC schedule. Tulsa was a quality G5 schedule, Oklahoma was a admirable P5 schedule. They also caught EVERY SINGLE 9+ win team in their own conference by having both Wisconsin and Nebraska from the other side in addition to Penn State and Michigan on their own side.

While I think OSU fans have a reason to be miffed by 2015, they didn't help their case last season by having a very sub-par OOC schedule. They basically couldn't afford a slip up and they slipped up despite having the most NFL-ladened roster in the nation. They gave themselves a margin for error this year and while that margin was not enough for the conference's criteria I do think it is enough for the national criteria.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The point was made above that the still shot seems to be this same angle rotated to where the yellow line appears straight and cropped to a close up view which all makes it appear to be an overhead shot when it is not. First down or not, MI had a chance to put them away and failed to do it so who really cares? Frankly, I wouldn't mind playing OSU in either game. Bama beats anybody else by a country mile if they simply play a clean game and anywhere near potential.
But the lines do not move, no matter how the frame is "rotated". To accomplish what has been put forward, you would need to combine multiple camera angles into a single image. All that was done is the image was turned to make the lines directly vertical to make the forward progress more clear. The entire image is turned. The integrity of the image has not been altered.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.