The playoff committee is about to get tested

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I was a big fan of the BCS and if the BCS still existed the matchup would be Alabama vs. Ohio State for all the marbles.
The Last two years it seemed that several people kept running the old BCS formula to see who the top four teams would be based on that formula. I haven't seen anyone do that this year. Has anyone seen who the four would be based on the old BCS formula?

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
The Last two years it seemed that several people kept running the old BCS formula to see who the top four teams would be based on that formula. I haven't seen anyone do that this year. Has anyone seen who the four would be based on the old BCS formula?
Here's a simulation through last week. Hasn't been updated through this weekend yet.

http://www.colleyrankings.com/curBcsLike.html

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think them putting Ohio State in favors us. Most years we will not lose more than 1 game. I can certainly see a situation where the SEC is the Alpha conference again and we lose to a undefeated LSU or Auburn. In that scenario we would be just like Ohio State. I actually hope we get Ohio State again to avenge that loss. This year they don't have EL or a big physical QB that can run over people for a couple yards. Even if they did I think this defense is better than that one.

On a neutral field my opinion:
Ohio State > Washington, Penn State, Michigan
Ohio State = Clemson with Watson and Williams if I were a betting man I would pick Clemson, Dabo would have them up for this game.
Clemson > Washington, Penn State, Michigan
Washington = Michigan
Washington > Penn State I think CP is a heck of a coach giving his track record given a month to prepare they probably beat Penn state by 14.
Alabama < Cleveland Browns
Alabama > Rest of college football

In conclusion I think if you are truly putting the best 4 teams in regardless of anything else just who I would bet on, if I were a betting man.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Washington

In that scenario I think it would be Clemson vs Alabama in the championship game.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I don't know why some still think the playoffs were created to keep non conference champs out, that has never been a stated goal. It's about picking the 4 best teams.

I agree with a few others, I think this will be the committee's final four:

1 - Alabama
2 - Clemson
3 - Ohio State
4 - Washington

These are the 4 best teams IMO.

Last edited:

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
I don't know why some still think the playoffs were created to keep non conference champs out, that has never been a stated goal. It's about picking the beat 4 teams.
Agreed--if Bama had lost yesterday, I think most on here (including me) thought they still deserved to be in the final four.

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Washington

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Yes, I've been posting the comparison the past few weeks. The BCS top 4 is identical to the committee top 4. In fact, the top 6 were identical last week.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The Pitt loss isn't the problem for PSU. It's the fact they got blown off the field in the other loss.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
If given a choice I'd rather play Washington first then the winner of the other game. If we have to play either Clemson or OSU first we have two hard games to get through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
If given a choice I'd rather play Washington first then the winner of the other game. If we have to play either Clemson or OSU first we have two hard games to get through.

You get your wish

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
If they had won the Pitt game, they'd be in the final 4 instead of OSU. But likewise, if they'd beaten Michigan, they'd be in the final 4 instead of OSU.
I think they could have gotten with 2 losses if the loss to OSU was only by 3 or so.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Strength of schedule? 7 cupcakes and struggled with 2 of them. I don't buy it.

Sat, Sep 3

vs
Bowling Green
W 10 - 77
Final
Sat, Sep 10
vs
Tulsa
W 3 - 48
Final
Sat, Oct 1

vs
Rutgers

W 0 - 58
Final

Sat, Oct 8
vs
Indiana
W 17 - 38
Final
Sat Oct 29

vs
Northwestern

W 20 - 24
Final
Sat, Nov 12
@
Maryland
W 62 - 3Final
Sat, Nov 19
@
Michigan State
W 17 - 16Final

It was cold

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think they could have gotten with 2 losses if the loss to OSU was only by 3 or so.
What loss to OSU?

I guess the committee is making the point that conference championships only matter when it benefits the team they want in the playoffs...
They're reiterating the point that it is a consideration, but not an overriding concern. If Penn State didn't have a second loss, then they would be ranked higher and in the playoffs.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They're reiterating the point that it is a consideration, but not an overriding concern. If Penn State didn't have a second loss, then they would be ranked higher and in the playoffs.
My point is they should just drop the explanations and tell us who the best four teams are, period. That's what they're going to choose, anyway.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is fun to joke that they pick their four teams and find their supporting evidence afterwards...but sometimes it has that look even though I'm not 100% sure that is how it goes down.

People can say that Ohio State and Urban Meyer are the better brand, and they'd be right, but they also just so happen to be the better resume and Penn State's record didn't put them in position to make head-to-head a factor. Furthermore, it was clearly between UDub and PSU in the final rankings. There was simply no way they were bumping a 1-loss Pac-12 champion. The SOS difference wasn't significant enough and the Pac-12 is a respectable league this year. If Penn State had beaten Pitt early in the year then it isn't even a question. They'd be in the top 4 before championship week and the question would be between Ohio State and Washington. That would have been the real test of the committee because Ohio State would grade out MUCH better against Washington and they very well could've left Washington out of the bracket.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.