The playoff committee is about to get tested

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
no its to find 4 teams that tap into 4 different geographic television markets and to make tons of money. If we were really trying to find the top 4 teams then it would be Bama,2 Big 10 schools, and Clemson.
I'm going to disagree with you there.

I'll take Washington over PSU, Wisconsin, and the Michigan we've watched in November. If Colorado hadn't lost their QB, UM likely would have 3 losses and not even be in the discussion. They were the most overrated team all year long.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Cecil Hurt made a great comment on Twitter earlier this morning. If not for that miracle lateral by Arkansas vs. Ole Miss last year, then 2015 Alabama is sitting in the exact same spot as 2016 Ohio State is this year.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Cecil Hurt made a great comment on Twitter earlier this morning. If not for that miracle lateral by Arkansas vs. Ole Miss last year, then 2015 Alabama is sitting in the exact same spot as 2016 Ohio State is this year.
Yup, and there's no question Alabama deserved to be in. People argued long and hard that Alabama would have been out under those circumstance. I argued as adamantly that if the committee did the job correctly Alabama was in. This whole, let a tie breaker decide who can be in a playoff nonsense... it just asinine. It makes no sense to excuse another loss and make one of utmost importance.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Yup, and there's no question Alabama deserved to be in. People argued long and hard that Alabama would have been out under those circumstance. I argued as adamantly that if the committee did the job correctly Alabama was in. This whole, let a tie breaker decide who can be in a playoff nonsense... it just asinine. It makes no sense to excuse another loss and make one of utmost importance.
The trouble with that is youre rewarding the team who didnt win their division.

The have 1 less chance to suffer injury.

Maybe the answer would be to use ranking as the first tiebreaker in tied divisions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Maybe the answer would be to use ranking as the first tiebreaker in tied divisions.

Or just do away with conference championship games...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

All divisions are not equal, all conferences are not equal, all games are not equal. Watch every game Penn State played. Watch every game Ohio State played. There's just no logical way you come back saying Penn State is deserving of a top 4 spot and Ohio State isn't. The resume isn't there.

To put it in another context, it's like choosing from two candidates for a job. One graduated from the Ivy League. The other graduated from a far less prestigious school. However, the one from a less prestigious school has a far better resume.

Yes, I know the Ivy League is more difficult. Yes, I know it's harder to get into and graduate from. However, why the heck should that one single thing overrule the far better resume? The answer is simple, it shouldn't! You just can't let one thing like that keep you from seeing the rest of the picture.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
All divisions are not equal, all conferences are not equal, all games are not equal. Watch every game Penn State played. Watch every game Ohio State played. There's just no logical way you come back saying Penn State is deserving of a top 4 spot and Ohio State isn't. The resume isn't there.

To put it in another context, it's like choosing from two candidates for a job. One graduated from the Ivy League. The other graduated from a far less prestigious school. However, the one from a less prestigious school has a far better resume.

Yes, I know the Ivy League is more difficult. Yes, I know it's harder to get into and graduate from. However, why the heck should that one single thing overrule the far better resume? The answer is simple, it shouldn't! You just can't let one thing like that keep you from seeing the rest of the picture.
Krazy i have said from the beginning that Ohio State is one of the top 2.

I watched the Penn game live, they should have destroyed them. But they didnt. Bad luck, one of those days whatever, in the end they lost.

By bypassing the conference game though they are being given an advantage over the 3 teams that had to play in theirs.

That cannot be right.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Well, I've been eating crow since the rankings came out....some of you might think I should eat a bit more, and that's fine. I really, really thought that since PSU had the edge over OSU on 2 of the first 3 criteria (Conference Championship, Head-to-head) listed by the Committee in their published selection protocol, and OSU only had the edge on one of the first three, that they would actually pick PSU over OSU. I definitely think OSU is the better team, but I didn't think the Committee would invoke the "unequivocal' clause in the case of 2 criteria not met. I was obviously wrong.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Krazy i have said from the beginning that Ohio State is one of the top 2.

I watched the Penn game live, they should have destroyed them. But they didnt. Bad luck, one of those days whatever, in the end they lost.

By bypassing the conference game though they are being given an advantage over the 3 teams that had to play in theirs.

That cannot be right.

This sword cuts both ways. An additional game gives Penn State an extra opportunity to showcase their talent against a good team, earning a quality win, and to give them an edge against other teams that stayed home or whose conference doesn't have a championship game.

This doesn't help Ohio State if they have two losses like Penn State does. Similarly, simply being a conference champion doesn't make you the better team. Florida wouldn't get in by beating Alabama, so why should Penn State? If they didn't want to get left out, then they shouldn't have lost two games.

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
The committee got it right.

Michigan played Colorado and very well could have lost that game at home (and they trailed in the 3rd quarter). We beat Colorado by 30 on a neutral field, and our QB had a horrific game. Michigan also destroyed Penn State. UDUB would beat Penn State (btw, I'm a huge Michigan fan as well as I have degrees from UDUB and Michigan - I'm a former Michigan season ticket holder). Michigan has an impressive defense, but outside of Butt at TE, their offense isn't any good and they have to use gadget plays with Peppers. UW is more balanced than Michigan and Penn State, and we're more talented (they don't have as many NFL players starting as the Dawgs do).

The biggest gripe is Ohio State over Penn State IMHO, not Penn State over Washington.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I actually made that complaint here (about getting beat up in the conference championship game while another team rested) and got a response along the lines of there will be plenty of time to heal after SECCG. And yet, a guy is out for the whole year after the game. So, I not only empathize with that, but I've expressed a similar sentiment. For a long time the Pac-12 and Big 10 didn't even have a conference championship game. So, was that fair?

It isn't really fair, no. But, that's kind of the underlying point. There's no way to make it all fair, it's just impossible. That's why humans need to play a role and just look things over. I mean the gripe the past few years has been the number of SEC conference games. For some reason the other conferences think the SEC should play the same number they do. Why? The SEC is tougher than them! They say it's unfair the SEC has less conference games, and the SEC can say it's unfair that they get to play cupcakes (the Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland to their conference last expansion, they combined to go 3-15 in conference, easy for those other guys to win when they add cupcakes as permanent parts of their conference right?). You can't make it fair, you just have to take a step back and rationally evaluate things.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I said the same thing in this thread yesterday, and I still wonder if they would have picked Bama to be in the playoff or used the excuse that we didn't win our division and conference.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.