The playoff committee is about to get tested

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Kirk's only bad take today is Penn State in my opinion. The 3rd and 4th best teams in the Big Ten played in their championship game. dems da facts and I don't really care what happened in Indianapolis tonight w/r/t the playoff.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Except in basketball you get auto bids for winning your league.
No you can win your league and not get in. It's winning your conference tourney that gets you win which is even worse. "Regular season" championship is much more deserving. Remember a few years ago UGA got in with a losing record b/c they won the SEC tourney which means a much better team got left out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
I normally like Kirk, but he is being such a OSU homer in all of this.
Yeah he said OSU was definitely in. Help me understand why this is and why all the love for OSU? They didn't win their conference and haven't looked good against tough competition. Why are they "a given"? The only definites are Bama and Clemson from my perspective. What say you?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have to run a 22 miler tomorrow morning, so I am out for the night. Congratulations again for the HUGE win tonight.

Roll Tide! & Go Bucks!

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
One thing is for certain. This is a mess. I don't see how they can leave out Washington with one loss and a thumping in the championship game.

Does the eye test, number of loses or head to head, league championship carry the most weight in the B1G to the committee?

Will be interesting to see.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Yeah he said OSU was definitely in. Help me understand why this is and why all the love for OSU? They didn't win their conference and haven't looked good against tough competition. Why are they "a given"? The only definites are Bama and Clemson from my perspective. What say you?
I think most people see them as one of the four best teams. Plus it's really difficult for people to let go of the old way of doing things. With the old polls, most people can't fathom a team being ranked 2nd one week and then 5th the next, without having played (lost) a game in between. That's what it would take to keep OSU out of the playoffs. It's crazy actually.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I believe TCU was bumped three spots back in the last rankings in 2014. So, that should give OSU fans some concern. PSU won their conference championship, won 11 games, and beat OSU. I don't think PSU jumps Washington. Looks like Bama, OSU or PSU, Clemson, and Washington.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well if you listen to the media, UDub has the best loss of anyone because USC would beat ANYONE right now.

The controversy ESPN is trying to stir is nonexistent. The order of 2 & 3 may flip (I doubt it nor does it really matter) but this bracket is solid at this point.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
One thing is for certain. This is a mess. I don't see how they can leave out Washington with one loss and a thumping in the championship game.

Does the eye test, number of loses or head to head, league championship carry the most weight in the B1G to the committee?

Will be interesting to see.
Yes this is my point with OSU being a given especially knowing the committee's criteria of winning the conference and head to head match ups in which Penn St. Did both compared to OSU.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
No you can win your league and not get in. It's winning your conference tourney that gets you win which is even worse. "Regular season" championship is much more deserving. Remember a few years ago UGA got in with a losing record b/c they won the SEC tourney which means a much better team got left out.

That's what I meant by "winning your conference". That's the general use for that phrase.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I believe TCU was bumped three spots back in the last rankings in 2014. So, that should give OSU fans some concern. PSU won their conference championship, won 11 games, and beat OSU. I don't think PSU jumps Washington. Looks like Bama, OSU or PSU, Clemson, and Washington.
Yep, TCU was 3rd and got bumped. They won by 40+ in the previous week and watched in horror as OSU trounced Wisky with a 3rd string QB.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Because they beat Oklahoma on the road and Michigan. They are in- no question. Just like we did in 2011 after losing to LSU. Not much difference really.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
Because they beat Oklahoma on the road and Michigan. They are in- no question. Just like we did in 2011 after losing to LSU. Not much difference really.
And Penn St. Beat them head-to-head and won the conference, both of which are key committee criteria's. 2011 was BCS era. This is committee era. Totally different.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Strength of schedule? 7 cupcakes and struggled with 2 of them. I don't buy it.

Sat, Sep 3

vs
Bowling Green
W 10 - 77
Final
Sat, Sep 10
vs
Tulsa
W 3 - 48
Final
Sat, Oct 1

vs
Rutgers

W 0 - 58
Final

Sat, Oct 8
vs
Indiana
W 17 - 38
Final
Sat Oct 29

vs
Northwestern

W 20 - 24
Final
Sat, Nov 12
@
Maryland
W 62 - 3Final
Sat, Nov 19
@
Michigan State
W 17 - 16Final

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
There is no controversy. This bracket is set and it doesn't include PSU.
I agree. It was set last week with the only potential shake up being if Clemson lost. Which obviously didn't happen.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.