JessN: Auburn wrap-up: 2016 becomes “Kick Five” game as AU is locked out of the end zone

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Last edited by a moderator:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Great read. One thing that bothers me about the game is the short yardage plays. The goal should be to keep the drive alive. JH needs to realize it's OK to let the running back take the ball and get the first down. Too many times he pulled it and tried to do too much.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Thx for including the write up about that wonderful pregame moment with one patriotic mother. I think we forget how hard a LOT of these walkons work and what their ethic mean for a team's success. Great story and we have a great group of walk-ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Sergeant

Suspended
Jan 17, 2009
Auburn wrap-up: 2016 becomes “Kick Five” game as AU is locked out of the end zone
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 27th, 2016 02:19 AM

Give Gus Malzahn credit – Auburn played to its strength Saturday night. Unfortunately, it was strength at the placekicking position, and Alabama was scoring touchdowns instead. Alabama made a barely competitive game close for a half thanks to its own mistakes, which included two interceptions and a […]

Read More Here
Surely a misprint but pretty sure his mother was not deployed for 12 years...probable should say 12 months...otherwise, great write up!

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Question is will ole Gus change his ways with the HUNH to adapt to teams catching up with it like CNS changed and adapted his recruiting, etc. to be able to defend it and then to recruit a QB who could do it?

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Surely a misprint but pretty sure his mother was not deployed for 12 years...probable should say 12 months...otherwise, great write up!
No, it was 12 years according to what UA put out. She's served three tours in Afghanistan and Iraq and was currently assigned to a base in Kuwait. You may be referring to the length of each individual assignment but overall she's been overseas for 12 years and is retiring from active duty and coming home.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Question is will ole Gus change his ways with the HUNH to adapt to teams catching up with it like CNS changed and adapted his recruiting, etc. to be able to defend it and then to recruit a QB who could do it?

I don't think he's capable of doing that. I've said ever since his first struggles back in 2011 that he looked to me like a one-system coach and changing his stripes was going to be too difficult to pull off. His entire method of success was built around inspecting the rule book for areas he could exploit and once the rules committee closed the loopholes on substitutions (and, even though it shouldn't have been needed, player safety/exhaustion vis-a-vis how injuries are handled on the field), Gus no longer had an envelope to push.

No one is scared of the speed component now. Like every single other offensive system in history, an offensive coordinator innovated, defensive coordinators responded, and now the system itself is not an edge in and of itself. If/when Auburn recruits better players to its offense, it will be effective again, but neither Gus nor his system will ever be effective again in spite of a talent deficiency.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
We could have lost that game...
If Auburn had made 11 Field Goals...
Cecil Hurt's line, talking about how Malzahn said Auburn "could have hung 60" on Alabama a couple of years ago: (paraphrasing) Auburn couldn't have hung 60 on Alabama this time because football games don't last long enough to attempt 20 field goals.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
And I remember the huddle tricks he used at Arkansas. Gimmicky was to kind for it. A lot of coaches saw it as borderline cheating and the rules committee seems to have agreed.
Always reminds me of a high school team that knows it's way over matched so it tries to steal something by trickery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.