Stat of the night: Number of tackles for loss by Auburn DL?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No to call you out Jess, but Bozeman was named one of our players of the week this week. It may have been more the guard play than Bradley. I have not watched that particular match-up so I am saying this only based on the POW award.
Alabama's POW awards don't always make sense.

Editing to add:

I just went back and watched the game looking at only o-line and d-line play. Your o-line dominated every other player on their d-line except Adams. When Adams was on the field, he was doubled 22 times and still held his ground when doubled. You guys ran directly at Adams 5 times in the game. He made the tackle 4 of the 5 times that you ran at him. Only once did you gain more than a yard or two when he made the tackle. The other time he was doubled and pushed to the right, away from Bo, and unable to make the tackle.

That said, he only badly beat Alabama players twice, Kirven once and Williams once, but when he beat Williams the DL had a twist on and Williams didn't expect him to come from that angle. Neither of those times did Adams effect the play.

BTW - there was one TFL by their DL, made by Lawson. On a second and inches play, Lawson tackled Harris in the backfield for a loss. The third down play was 3rd and a full yard. So, it didn't go in the stats book as a loss because it went from 2nd and 1 to 3rd and 1, but Harris was tackled for a loss on the play.

Overall, I have to say that your o-line totally controlled the LOS. You had a plan and executed it perfectly.

As for your d-line - man, you re-established the LOS in their backfield on every play. Their o-line got mashed.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
BTW - there was one TFL by their DL, made by Lawson. On a second and inches play, Lawson tackled Harris in the backfield for a loss. The third down play was 3rd and a full yard. So, it didn't go in the stats book as a loss because it went from 2nd and 1 to 3rd and 1, but Harris was tackled for a loss on the play.

That's the one I was referring to. Thought it was Adams but you said it was Lawson. Either way, should have been recorded as a tackle for a loss.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Alabama's POW awards don't always make sense.

Editing to add:

I just went back and watched the game looking at only o-line and d-line play. Your o-line dominated every other player on their d-line except Adams. When Adams was on the field, he was doubled 22 times and still held his ground when doubled. You guys ran directly at Adams 5 times in the game. He made the tackle 4 of the 5 times that you ran at him. Only once did you gain more than a yard or two when he made the tackle. The other time he was doubled and pushed to the right, away from Bo, and unable to make the tackle.

That said, he only badly beat Alabama players twice, Kirven once and Williams once, but when he beat Williams the DL had a twist on and Williams didn't expect him to come from that angle. Neither of those times did Adams effect the play.

Overall, I have to say that your o-line totally controlled the LOS. You had a plan and executed it perfectly.

As for your d-line - man, you re-established the LOS in their backfield on every play. Their o-line got mashed.
The tackle Lawson made on Hurts' scramble in the third quarter, which was the closest Auburn came to recording a TFL by the D-line (it was made a half-yard short of the LOS but the statistician recorded it as a "no gain" officially) was set up by Adams running through Bozeman, which flushed Hurts forward and Lawson came off a block to finish the play.

I also don't always understand the POW stuff. Sometimes I think they hand some of those out to boost guys' confidence. There have been a couple of times this year where some guys got POW honors and I caught myself thinking, "they must have done a heckuva job in practice leading up to the game."

I went back through the tape tonight and didn't see anything to really change my earlier take regarding the inability to handle Adams one-on-one. I did come away with a greater appreciation for the work Kirven did, especially in the third quarter. I'm happy with him for two reasons: One, it solidifies the RG spot; two, Kirven is a great story -- he's the guy Alabama tried to grayshirt Darius Philon in order to free up a scholarship, which resulted in Philon signing with Arkansas instead and excelling (not to mention being highly critical of Saban on his way out the door), and to this point, Kirven had only been filler. He seems to be well-liked by teammates and coaches and it would be quite ironic if he's the guy who ends up being the final piece that makes the OL puzzle finally work.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I went back through the tape tonight and didn't see anything to really change my earlier take regarding the inability to handle Adams one-on-one. I did come away with a greater appreciation for the work Kirven did, especially in the third quarter. I'm happy with him for two reasons: One, it solidifies the RG spot; two, Kirven is a great story -- he's the guy Alabama tried to grayshirt Darius Philon in order to free up a scholarship, which resulted in Philon signing with Arkansas instead and excelling (not to mention being highly critical of Saban on his way out the door), and to this point, Kirven had only been filler. He seems to be well-liked by teammates and coaches and it would be quite ironic if he's the guy who ends up being the final piece that makes the OL puzzle finally work.
I'll say this - even when doubled, Adams held his place in the middle of the line. 22 times, when doubled, Adams held his spot. He ate up 2 o-linemen, freeing up linebackers to make plays. Adams did not get pushed off the ball once during the game. He is going to be a beast in the NFL. And when Alabama players were asked to block hims one on one, at best you would call those pushes. Again, Adams made the tackle 4 of the 5 times that Alabama ran at him. Two of those plays came in the first drive - the other three didn't come until the last drive. He was so effective early in the game that Alabama chose to run away from him until the game was over. You really can't ask more of a NG type DL than that.

Now, to Alabama's credit, he only got close to making a play in the backfield on a run once - the play where Lawson made the tackle behind the LOS. But most of that was because you were smart and ran away from him. The other Auburn DTs were all handled one on one by Alabama's o-line. Their second best DT, Lawrence, made a few plays but left the game with an injury. Swan did his best late in the game, but he was a total non-factor. That left Lawson, who was just asked to do too much. By the end of the game, he was exhausted.

Auburn's d-line simply didn't have the depth to hang with Alabama. Your o-line is a lot better than I thought it was.

With saying all of this, that we have in this thread, it goes to show how well the line played. We are nitpicking here and that makes me feel good going forward. We at least stalemated this line and that goes along with LSU's vaunted line as well. We won't face another line nearly as good as these and that spells trouble for any other team in the SECCG and the playoffs. If our line gets any push upfront then it is game over. When the offense is moving it like it did against Auburn and LSU, and it gets out of its own way, it is unstoppable, truly. Then, you have to worry about moving it on the defense. If both are on it's A game, cancel Christmas, and New Year's too.

And possibly MLK.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With saying all of this, that we have in this thread, it goes to show how well the line played. We are nitpicking here and that makes me feel good going forward. We at least stalemated this line and that goes along with LSU's vaunted line as well. We won't face another line nearly as good as these and that spells trouble for any other team in the SECCG and the playoffs. If our line gets any push upfront then it is game over. When the offense is moving it like it did against Auburn and LSU, and it gets out of its own way, it is unstoppable, truly. Then, you have to worry about moving it on the defense. If both are on it's A game, cancel Christmas, and New Year's too.

And possibly MLK.
If Michigan somehow makes the playoffs - their d-line is better than Auburn's.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We couldn't really block Adams well most of the day...got a bit better as the time-of-possession advantage piled on in the second half. Lawson got his butt kicked though. He had absolutely no impact on the game and no matter what OT he lined up against he was washed out of the play with ease. With that said, Hurts had a lot of time in the pocket and the traditional off-tackle runs popped off well...and that is the story of the day for our offense.

Adams may be the best interior linemen we see this year, so our disjointed at times interior OL at least managing a stalemate is a win of sorts.

Michigan's stats are a product of scheduling. I'm not at all saying they are bad in any way. I just don't believe they are as good as advertised. That's just me. Schedule is very poor and it inflates how good they are.
You would be wrong, but that's okay.
If I am wrong, then I am wrong. It's just at this time, I don't see it. It's like they are the 2012 ND team to me, only with an actual loss on the schedule.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.