Our offensive line

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
Anyone else surprised with how thoroughly our offensive line DOMINATED Auburn's front yesterday? We pretty much moved the ball up and down the field all day and only stopped ourselves with turnovers in the first half. I guess part of it was our run plays were well designed to go outside the tackles.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
They did really well. I heard so many times about how good Auburn's d was and even comparing them to us. Well we dominated their d line.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Not surprised at all. We had a couple of games where they did not play to their potential but this is a big, physical group and the Barn's vaunted D line never got close to Jalen on pass rush and we opened up holes after we got them tired. Dominated them.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not really. We have a good offensive line but AUs defensive line is pretty average. They have 2 good players (Lawson and Adams) but they're very inconsistent..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not really. We have a good offensive line but AUs defensive line is pretty average. They have 2 good players (Lawson and Adams) but they're very inconsistent..
i guess it turns out that there is quite a gap between the best defense in the sec and the "probably tied for the second best defense in the sec"

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
the offensive line has become a group of strength. they have pass blocked real well lately, because Jalen likes to take time passing deep. we have 4 real good backs.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Our OL has progressed but they're not 100% there yet. Would love to see a game where we can take inside zone and make it a weapon against defenses who worry too much about the wide stuff (throws, sweeps, outside zone runs).

Our own defense did that to their defense...we had them wore out by halftime due to massive TOP dominance from 1 first down all 1st half.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In pass protection I agree from start to finish they dominated. But it seems it takes us an entire half before our OL starts getting lathered up to start moving bodies.
I agree, but I think that this is a result of the emotion that other teams play with early in games. Hard to push out a fired up defense when they load the box. Eventually this costs them, and as they tire your o-line begins to assert its will. But this o-line is not as good as last year's o-line. Good enough, but not as good.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I agree, but I think that this is a result of the emotion that other teams play with early in games. Hard to push out a fired up defense when they load the box. Eventually this costs them, and as they tire your o-line begins to assert its will. But this o-line is not as good as last year's o-line. Good enough, but not as good.
I think that may be true ( Kelly gone, although Bozeman`s done well, I think ), but I`ve seen enough to be encouraged moving on into the SECCG and CFP. Isn`t Bozeman a RS Junior? Kirven`s a Senior, I think.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
One 3rd-and-1, Jacobs was given the ball to go up the middle and only saw a wall of offensive linemen so he tried to cut outside and was tackled for no gain. He did not realize that the wall of offensive linemen were already a yard downfield and he would have had the first down if he just ran up their backs. I didn't see any gaps on that play but it demonstrated how the line was overpowering AU's defensive line which is probably what that play was designed to do; just get a push for at least a first down.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One 3rd-and-1, Jacobs was given the ball to go up the middle and only saw a wall of offensive linemen so he tried to cut outside and was tackled for no gain. He did not realize that the wall of offensive linemen were already a yard downfield and he would have had the first down if he just ran up their backs. I didn't see any gaps on that play but it demonstrated how the line was overpowering AU's defensive line which is probably what that play was designed to do; just get a push for at least a first down.
I remember that play and remarked about it to my son.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree, from a run blocking/moving bodies category they aren't as good. Doesn't mean they aren't "good" just not as good as last year's OL.

Auburn used basically the same strategy as LSU did in containing our offense. Set the edges to contain Hurts and forced him to beat us passing or us beat them up the middle with the run. Hurts is showing signs of improvement in throwing within the pocket. Made some very impressive throws from the pocket yesterday. Hopefully he'll continue to improve because the better teams we play the less likely we will be able to just "flip a switch" and put the game away.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I remember that play and remarked about it to my son.
Same. If Jacobs went straight ahead on that play it's an easy first down. He has pretty good vision so not sure what happened on that play. He doesn't need to get in the habit of trying to bounce it outside. That won't work vs the teams we're playing going forward - UF and then the playoff games will have fast defenses..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I was surprised. I mean, this OL has been solid this year, but to completely shut down one of, if not the, most talented DL's we'll see this year was truly impressive. Imposed their will, love it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.