2016 SEC Championship Gameweek Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We all know that Florida's offense is "challenged", no matter the level of competition. I am haring that Florida's defense is going to face some serious challenges this week due to injuries everywhere. This game may turn out to be a real mess for the Gators.

Yeah, I just read this and was going to point it out. Florida's defense isn't going to be the same. They are going to have a lot of people out.
We all know that Florida's offense is "challenged", no matter the level of competition. I am haring that Florida's defense is going to face some serious challenges this week due to injuries everywhere. This game may turn out to be a real mess for the Gators.

Safe to say we did pretty well in the regular season:
OFFENSE
Scoring offense: 39.4 points per game (19 nationally, 1st SEC)
- After Chattanooga: 40.3 points per game (14th, 1st)
Rushing offense: 245.92 yards per game (15th, 2nd)
- After Chattanooga: 249.82 yards per game (13th, 2nd)
Passing offense: 233.7 yards per game (63rd, 6th)
- After Chattanooga: 227.8 yards per game (71st, 5th)
Total offense: 479.6 yards per game (23rd, 2nd)
- After Chattanooga: 477.6 yards per game (27th, 2nd)
Third down conversions: 47.34 percent (15th, 1st)
- After Chattanooga: 47.06 percent (18th, 1st)
Red zone conversions: 87.27 percent (36th, 3rd)
- After Chattanooga: 86.0 percent (T-47th, 6th)
DEFENSE
Scoring defense: 11.4 points per game (1st, 1st)
- After Chattanooga: 11.4 points per game (2nd, 1st)
Rushing defense: 68.67 yards per game (1st, 1st)
- After Chattanooga: 68.91 yards per game (1st, 1st)
Passing defense: 178.1 yards per game (11th, 2nd)
- After Chattanooga: 183.7 yards per game (13th, 2nd)
Total defense: 246.8 yards per game (1st, 1st)
- After Chattanooga: 252.6 yards per game (2nd, 1st)
Opponent third down conversions: 28.34 percent (6th, 1st)
- After Chattanooga: 29.14 percent (8th, 1st)
Opponent red zone conversions: 83.33 percent (T-58th, T-9th)
- After Chattanooga: 82.35 percent (55th, 7th)

For more info: http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/national/index.html

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban presser beginning in a few minutes...

Saban: "Really pleased with the way our team played in the second half of the (Auburn) game."
Saban: Florida has one of the best defensive teams in the country.
Saban on Florida: "Jim (McElwain) has done a really job in his time there. They're gotten better and better each year."
Saban on Florida's defense: "They have a great defensive team, one of the best defensive teams in the country."
Saban: This is a big game for us. It's an opportunity to win the SEC championship, which is a big accomplishment for us.
Saban: You all put everything about the playoffs. That's all you care about.
Saban: "It's never OK to lose a game."
Saban on Jonah Williams: "Jonah's played very well for us all year long, and I think both tackles played well in this last game."
Saban on new-look dime after Tony Brown's ejection: "Deionte Thompson did a good job with what he had to do in the game."
Saban on eliminating the big plays: You could say we eliminated the big-play runs but we gave up a couple of big passes.
Saban on why Alabama hasn't won a national defensive award: "I can't answer that. I haven't given it a lot of thought."
Saban: "We take a lot of pride here in playing team defense. ... I think all of (the players) have a lot of respect for each other."
Saban on LB Shaun Dion Hamilton's success this season: "It's not surprising to me that he's had the production that he's had (this year)."
Saban on team's ball-control offense: "That's what you want to be able to do to minimize the other team's chances to come back against you."
Saban: ArDarius is a very competitive guy. We certainly want to get him the ball because he will make plays
Saban on Marlon Humphrey: Take it easy on him today. Hopeful he'll be able to practice some later in the week to get ready for the game.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Ticket prices have gone way down. I wonder if some Florida fans are selling now. I should have waited to get my tickets till now. Wow.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
After Alabama beats Florida, the SEC will only have a single team capable of winning 10 games this year since only Alabama has more than 8 wins right now. When was the last time that this happened?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban got fired up about a question that the media didn't ask. The guy asked how Saban keeps the team focused when they are probably in the playoffs even if they lose. He was even very careful about how he asked the question. Saban then suggested that the media only cares about the playoffs and ranted about this game mattering. Well, yeah, but the guy never suggested that it didn't matter.

Coach is fired up, and he was likely sending a message to his players, but he owes that guy an apology off on the side.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Saban got fired up about a question that the media didn't ask. The guy asked how Saban keeps the team focused when they are probably in the playoffs even if they lose. He was even very careful about how he asked the question. Saban then suggested that the media only cares about the playoffs and ranted about this game mattering. Well, yeah, but the guy never suggested that it didn't matter.

Coach is fired up, and he was likely sending a message to his players, but he owes that guy an apology off on the side.

I actually feel he answered him completely and stayed on point. Saban's point was that it wasn't ok to lose any ​game. He brought up the media, because it is the media that mentioned that these games didn't matter. This was classic Saban here.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I wouldn't ever give the media an apology - especially for all the BS they continually try to stir up.

Good for Coach Saban for reinforcing his philosophy and point of view.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I wouldn't ever give the media an apology - especially for all the BS they continually try to stir up.

Good for Coach Saban for reinforcing his philosophy and point of view.

I also almost wonder if they give the media some of these questions?? Gave him a chance to send the message. :conf2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I actually feel he answered him completely and stayed on point. Saban's point was that it wasn't ok to lose any ​game. He brought up the media, because it is the media that mentioned that these games didn't matter. This was classic Saban here.
Nope - when the same reporter asked a follow-up, Saban jumped on him again. That is flat wrong. The reporter asked a legit question. and Saban acted like a total jerk. This is all on Saban. The media in Alabama are sheep for accepting that.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Nope - when the same reporter asked a follow-up, Saban jumped on him again. That is flat wrong. The reporter asked a legit question. and Saban acted like a total jerk. This is all on Saban. The media in Alabama are sheep for accepting that.
I'm not sure if it was the same reporter, but after the Iron Bowl someone asked Damien Harris a question about losing the Iron Bowl and still going to Atlanta. His response:

"Anybody that says you can afford to lose a game doesn't know what it's like to play sports," Damien Harris said. I think his rant today is carryover from that.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I can't recall the follow-up question but I thought Coach Saban's reply was "You should have asked that question first" albeit in a riled up way.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can't recall the follow-up question but I thought Coach Saban's reply was "You should have asked that question first" albeit in a riled up way.
The follow-up was about Hurts. You guys can say that you are okay with Saban treating people like this if you wish. I would never be okay with an OSU employee treating another person like this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.