CFP - Everyone's missing the point; it's not about the best four teams...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
But that's word parsing because if the LOSER got in undeserved then the argument collapses. Ohio State's 2014 triumph prove that this is more in the land of Pandora than we wish to admit.
An argument collapses, but not really mine. I was a supporter of the BCS, but the polls got it right sometimes to. I never felt you had to play that game to decide a champion. I don't feel like the BCS owed us anything beyond crowning a worthy champion. Your mention of Ohio State (which in the BCS era would have never happened and I don't think it should have) brings up a different aspect. It's hard to argue that Ohio State's regular season made them the most deserving team. They had an ugly loss, at home, to a mediocre team. They also didn't play a particularly tough schedule. What 2014 showed us is that if you devalue the regular season, yes of course a less deserving team can win. That's what I feared all along though! It wasn't earth shattered, it wasn't a much worse regular season, but it put a wider crack in the foundation of the regular season in my opinion (you could argue 2011 did that to, there's no debating LSU's superior regular season). If you had Alabama play Oklahoma, right now, Oklahoma might win! It's possible, but it doesn't erase the fact that Alabama had a better overall season. Playoffs open the door wider to less deserving teams. I never once thought those less deserving teams would always lose... if I did I'd have had nothing to fear.

Good points. But then again, of course the BCS champion had a better resume than Auburn...because they got to play in the BCS title game. If Auburn had played USC and beaten them, THEIR resume would have been more impressive than that of unbeaten OU, too.
That was indeed part of the magic of the BCS. With the way it was setup, it was virtually guaranteed to give us a clear champion. The game boosted the resume of the participants significantly. It tended to give closure. For all the debating and what not, in the end it was very hard to argue with the result. Playoffs take you further and further away from that, if you care to look. I've looked at the resumes of NCAA basketball champions. I've looked at the records of Super Bowl champs. The reason people don't argue over that is because they don't think about it like we think about college football's championship. They just blindly accept the results. Most championships just crown who ever is hot at the end of the year. College football isn't there yet, but we're inching towards it. Ohio State got hot at the right time in 2014...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.