Trump renews threat to prosecute Clinton for joining recount?!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
"Lazy" is the kind word for people who continually repeat things without even the most basic fact checking.
Lazy indeed.
Jesse T. Richmana, Gulshan A. Chatthab, David C. Earnest, "Do Non-citizens Vote in U.S. Elections?" Electoral Studies, December 2014, 149–157.
In spite of substantial public controversy, very little reliable data exists concerning the frequency with which non-citizen immigrants participate in United States elections. Although such participation is a violation of election laws in most parts of the United States, enforcement depends principally on disclosure of citizenship status at the time of voter registration. This study examines participation rates by non-citizens using a nationally representative sample that includes non-citizen immigrants. We find that some non-citizens participate in U.S. elections, and that this participation has been large enough to change meaningful election outcomes including Electoral College votes, and Congressional elections. Non-citizen votes likely gave Senate Democrats the pivotal 60th vote needed to overcome filibusters in order to pass health care reform and other Obama administration priorities in the 111th Congress.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
yes, that article is a fine example of laziness among other things.
He at least made the effort to link a widely discredited paper that does not support the attempted claim. In that sense, it's probably more dishonest than lazy.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Lazy indeed.
Jesse T. Richmana, Gulshan A. Chatthab, David C. Earnest, "Do Non-citizens Vote in U.S. Elections?" Electoral Studies, December 2014, 149–157.
and even those guys don't believe this nonsense, even using their incorrect methodology Trump's claims are garbage

Even if we assume the Richman and Earnest study is correct, Richman told us that it does not back Trump’s claim that noncitizen voting swung the popular vote in favor of Clinton.
Richman told us via email that he ran some extrapolations from his paper to determine the number of noncitizen voters for Clinton and Trump. He assumed that 6.5 percent of noncitizens voted and 80 percent of them voted for Clinton and 20 percent for Trump.
“If the assumptions stated above concerning non-citizen turnout are correct, could non-citizen turnout account for Clinton’s popular vote margin? There is no way it could have,” Richman said, adding that “6.5 percent turnout among the roughly 20.3 million non-citizen adults in the U.S. would add only 790,688.5 votes to Clinton’s popular vote margin. This is little more than a third of the total margin.
“Is it plausible that non-citizen votes added to Clinton’s margin. Yes,” Richman said. “Is it plausible that non-citizen votes account for the entire nation-wide popular vote margin held by Clinton? Not at all.”
It isn’t even possible if you assume more than 80 percent of the noncitizen vote went for Clinton, he said.
“If the percentage of non-citizens voting for Clinton is held constant, roughly 18.5 percent of non-citizens would have had to vote for their votes to have made up the entire Clinton popular vote margin. I don’t think that this rate is at all plausible,” Richman told us. “Even if we assume that 90 percent voted for Clinton and only 10 percent for Trump, a more than fourteen percent turnout would be necessary to account for Clinton’s popular vote margin. This is much higher than the estimates we offered. Again, it seems too high to be plausible.”
So again, Trump’s claim is based on a disputed survey. But even if one accepts the results, the author says it is implausible to conclude based on their research that illegal noncitizen voting could have turned the popular vote in Clinton’s favor.
https://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/trump-sticks-with-bogus-voter-fraud-claims/

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
and even those guys don't believe this nonsense, even using their incorrect methodology Trump's claims are garbage

https://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/trump-sticks-with-bogus-voter-fraud-claims/
I never said I agree with Trumps allegations that the scale of illegal immigrant voting. I am not sure how widespread the practice is.

Let me ask the left wing-nuts an honest question. When it comes to illegal immigrant voting in the US do you:
(a) believe it does not happen at all.
(b) believe it happens to a very small/negligible extent, but if it was widespread you would disapprove.
(c) believe it is widespread, but have no problem if illegal immigrants vote in US elections. Every resident of the United States, regardless of their immigration status should be allowed to vote.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I never said I agree with Trumps allegations that the scale of illegal immigrant voting. I am not sure how widespread the practice is.

Let me ask the left wing-nuts an honest question. When it comes to illegal immigrant voting in the US do you:
(a) believe it does not happen at all.
(b) believe it happens to a very small/negligible extent, but if it was widespread you would disapprove.
(c) believe it is widespread, but have no problem if illegal immigrants vote in US elections. Every resident of the United States, regardless of their immigration status should be allowed to vote.
Even though I'm not one of your " left wing-nuts", I'll answer your question:
b

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
since it was addressed to me I'd go with b as well and add that I am certain shenanigans exist within voting and I'm sure that both sides are actively involved and that it is likely that both sides end up countering one another for the most part.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
since it was addressed to me I'd go with b as well and add that I am certain shenanigans exist within voting and I'm sure that both sides are actively involved and that it is likely that both sides end up countering one another for the most part.
This.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I appreciate the candor.
I just read things like this (Should we let non-citizens vote? Here’s the case for it: Larry Wilson) and I just do not have much trouble imagining some registrars or poll-watchers saying to themselves, "You know what, it is racist to deny non-US citizens the vote, just because of where they were born or their immigration status. I'm not going to let the racists win. This is just like Rosa Parks," etc. etc. and allowing non-citizens to register and then vote. That just does not strike me a far-fetched.
I hope y'all are correct.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I appreciate the candor.
I just read things like this (Should we let non-citizens vote? Here’s the case for it: Larry Wilson) and I just do not have much trouble imagining some registrars or poll-watchers saying to themselves, "You know what, it is racist to deny non-US citizens the vote, just because of where they were born or their immigration status. I'm not going to let the racists win. This is just like Rosa Parks," etc. etc. and allowing non-citizens to register and then vote. That just does not strike me a far-fetched.
I hope y'all are correct.
At my precinct in South Texas we had some liitle old blue haired ladies that examined your drivers license like a Nazi check point guard,
I was glad to see it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
At my precinct in South Texas we had some liitle old blue haired ladies that examined your drivers license like a Nazi check point guard,
I was glad to see it.
The same where I vote.
I guess the key thing is that, even though the district leans heavily Republican, there is a viable Democrat party. Any shenanigans would get pointed out.
If there were no opposition party, I have to wonder if people would try to get away with something.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I once had a poll worker I went to church with. She greeted me by name when I walked in. She asked for my ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidegrandpa

All-American
The same where I vote.
I guess the key thing is that, even though the district leans heavily Republican, there is a viable Democrat party. Any shenanigans would get pointed out.
If there were no opposition party, I have to wonder if people would try to get away with something.
Same here, our county a little over 100,000 voted,Trump won by a little over 1,600.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
It is illegal for non-citizens to vote in Federal elections. Law was passed in 1996. States decide for themselves in state and local elections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States

The federal law does not prohibit non-citizens from voting in state or local elections, but no state has allowed non-citizens to vote in state elections since Arkansas became the last state to outlaw non-citizen voting in 1926.[SUP][6][/SUP] A few local governments, most of them in Maryland, allow non-citizens to vote in their local elections.

Interesting to note that for 100 years aliens could vote in some states , Aliens could vote in Alabama until 1901 if they declared their intention to become a citizen.

So it's not farfetched TW because it used to be a common practice,

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It is illegal for non-citizens to vote in Federal elections.
Yes, but it's illegal for illegal immigrants to be in the US as well, yet that seems to happen quite commonly.

And as for the opening post, I would hope that executive branch officers would execute the law without favor. If the evidence is there that someone broke the law, prosecute. Do not prosecute or lay off, depending on whether person X supports or condemns a vote recount. Enforce the dadgum law.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Rasmussen Poll on illegal immigrants voting.
In March 2016, 71% of US citizens disapproved of illegal immigrants voting (19% favored allowing illegal immigrants to vote and 10% were undecided.

Republicans (80%) and voters not affiliated with either of the major political parties (70%) are even more opposed to illegal immigrants voting than there were last year. But now most Democrats agree. Last May (2015), Democrats by a 53% to 42% margin were in favor of allowing tax-paying illegal immigrants to vote. Now, those numbers are reversed, with voters in President Obama’s party opposed by a 52% to 39% margin.
Yes, you read that right, in May 2015, a majority of Democrats favored allowing illegal immigrants to vote. This despite the fact that merely registering to vote is a felony.

The left wing-nuts will be along shortly to inform us that Rasmussen is a right-wing extremist organization.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.