Tell me about Auburn

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
No truer words can be said about Auburn. I don't know what deal Jacobs and Dye have made with the devil but if they are allowed to hang around in a game some of the craziest things happen in their favor.
This^^ plus their kicker is automatic up to 50 yards and is fairly accurate up to 55-57 yards. If it comes down to a FG-off you will lose.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Assuming White and Pettway are healthy...

IMO, it all depends upon how much OU's offense relies on rhythm and whether or not they can handle spending a lot of time on the bench.

While Malzhan believes he coined the "Hurry Up, No Huddle" phrase - and he may have, I don't know - they don't actually run hurry up nearly as much as many Big XII teams. I actually like Gary Danielson's NHSHU nomenclature: "No Huddle, Sometimes Hurry Up". They will run the ball and, if successful, will control the clock. They kind of lull you to sleep, giving you time to substitute on most plays - though you may not be able to substitute too often because of the meercat, no huddle play calling - and then surprise you with a string of hurry up plays following a first down or, especially, a big play.

While they certainly have the ability to score quickly and their overall time of possession stats aren't great this season for a variety of reasons, they do have the ability to control the clock. Against LSU, Mississippi State, Arkansas, and Ole Miss - the SEC games where White was healthy and in control of the offense - the Tigers had 10 scoring or half-killing drives of longer than four minutes, including one six-plus and one eight-plus minute drive. The Tigers' time of possession is directly proportional to the number of times their offense goes three-and-out.

Given that Oklahoma ranks 101st in the country in opponent third down conversion percentage and 69th in opponent yards per rush, it doesn't bode well for the Sooners to be able to force a lot of three-and-outs against the Barn's rushing attack. IMO, this would be one of the key stats in the game.

On offense, the Sooners have only played against two teams who were in the Top 40 in Total Defense and Scoring Defense. They lost both of those games, scoring 23 and 24 points. Auburn ranks 21st and 6th in those categories, respectively. The biggest reason for the Barn's high scoring defense ranking is due to the fact that they're fourth in the country in opponents' red zone TD percentage. They force a lot of field goal attempts in the red zone. This, IMO, would be another key stat of the game.

The last two key stats are, first, the most obvious - turnover margin - and, finally, big plays. Turnover margin is self-explanatory and is generally a key stat in every game. Traditionally, Malzhan's offenses and the Barn in general feed off of big plays. Oklahoma's defense currently ranks 78th and 89th in the country in allowing 20+ yard and 30+ yard plays, respectively.

So, for the Tigers to pull off the upset against the Sooners, I think they need the following to happen:
1. Win or at least get a push in the turnover margin.
2. Hold the Sooner's to 50% or less in red zone TD percentage.
3. Have less than 25% of their offensive drives be three-and-outs.
4. Get at least 5 big plays on offense.

Even if they're only able to get three out of four, that'll still keep them in the ballgame with a probable chance to win it in the fourth quarter.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
Expect every good play you have to be questioned by malzahn making a 15 min qtr last over an hour. He won't challenge he'll just talk to the refs and for some reason continously be able to stop the game for every discussion.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Great thread! We haven't played them since 1971 which was also in the Sugar Bowl. We lost that decades "Game of the Century" to the Huskers and they went on to play you in the Orange Bowl. Our wishbone attack led by Jack Mildred and Gregg Pruitt blew Auburn out. Pat Sullivan was their QB.
That brings back memories I'd rather forget! LOL. The Big 8 was on top of the football world back then. I watched the Nebraska-Oklahoma game that year and it ended up deciding the national championship. Alabama just couldn't compete. If I remember correctly, Oklahoma finished 2nd and Colorado 3rd.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Auburn is usually ready to play in bowl games - they're 1-2 in bowl games under CGM, but they lost both games by a combined total of six points.

They'll be ready to play.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I have to say, I don't usually pull for the Barn, but if they end up playing a B1G team (especially that school up north), I say, "WDE!"
Didn't someone say in the Sugar Bowl thread last week that it is SEC vs Big12 - which is why one of our resident Sooners started this thread? So OU, Lite or WVU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Didn't someone say in the Sugar Bowl thread last week that it is SEC vs Big12 - which is why one of our resident Sooners started this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it is Big 12 vs. SEC. Not sure where the B1G stuff is coming from.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Auburn = spotty offense, but good front 7 on defense. Pass protect Mayfield and Sooners win big.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
If Mayfield has time to throw, Westbrook will eat AU alive. If White and Pettway are healthy, Auburn will probably put some points up but I'm thinking OU by at least 14, much more if AU is still banged up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.