Tell me about Auburn

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
First, let me say as I have said in the past...how fortunate you all are to be living in this unprecedented time of Alabama fout ball. I have been fortunate to have been an OU fan for the entire post WW2 period but as stellar as our record as been nothing compares to the Tide under Saban. Yes we had the 47 game winning streak but it was easier then with no Scholls limits. Anyway, congratulations. Now, it looks like we'll play Auburn in the Sugar Bowl assuming we win Sat. This is the best O we have had since '08 when we had Bradford, Murray, and Gresham but it's the worst D in the Stoops era. What can we expect from the Tigers?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I haven't watched enough OU football this year to have any idea about the match-ups. Auburn has really struggled offensively, but mostly due to injuries. White is a solid QB who can look great against weak secondaries, but their offense lives and dies based on their ability to run the ball. They run out of only a few formations, and they run in every conceivable direction out of those formations. This means that your defense has to stay disciplined and avoid guessing where the ball might go. If you can stop the run, you can hold them under 20 points. If you cannot stop the run then Mayfield is going to have to have a great game for you to win.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't watched enough OU football this year to have any idea about the match-ups. Auburn has really struggled offensively, but mostly due to injuries. White is a solid QB who can look great against weak secondaries, but their offense lives and dies based on their ability to run the ball. They run out of only a few formations, and they run in every conceivable direction out of those formations. This means that your defense has to stay disciplined and avoid guessing where the ball might go. If you can stop the run, you can hold them under 20 points. If you cannot stop the run then Mayfield is going to have to have a great game for you to win.
Pretty good analysis but I think you're being too kind about their offense.

Personally, I think OU will KILL the Barn. As irrational as some of their fans are, some of them are saying they don't even deserve to be there.

You keep AU out of field goals range and you may shut them out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Pretty good analysis but I think you're being too kind about their offense.

Personally, I think OU will KILL the Barn. As irrational as some of their fans are, some of them are saying they don't even deserve to be there.

You keep AU out of field goals range and you may shut them out.
OU's defense couldn't shut out my local high school team. :wink:

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Their O is suspect after several injuries and they have a good D but look at what Kiffin did with all of the outside runs/roll out passes and they were worn out.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If White and Pittway are back, the barn offense is a different animal entirely. I've no idea what their injury prognosis is, but with !4 weeks off, I'm betting they'll be back.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
OU's defense couldn't shut out my local high school team.
The Barn rolled up big numbers on offense against bad teams. Their best win was LSU, but that came when LSU was playing bad enough to fire their coach.

Even when they were healthy, they were just OK on offense.

I think Bama also showed their defense doesn't hold up that well either.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If White and Pittway are back, the barn offense is a different animal entirely. I've no idea what their injury prognosis is, but with !4 weeks off, I'm betting they'll be back.
The question will be, assuming they get both White and Pettway healthy (which is unsure at the moment) is can they can outscore OU's offense???

They are obviously better with those guys than what we saw Saturday, but even when they were healthy they were beating very average teams.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
OU fans want Bob to can his brother but it won't happen. We have had a lot of injuries to critical D positions including 3 of our starting from 7....all to concussions...2 will never play again. We have a true freshman at one corner. The only thingo that have saved the season aRe an incredibly dynamic O and the fact that the Big 12 is the WAC in disguise.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's already been said but if Pettway and White are healthy (not less than 90%) then they can be hard to deal with. Defensively they were supposed to be one of the best defenses we see all year but to be honest. I wasn't impressed. Our first half struggles were due to lack of focus which obviously Coach Saban took care of that at halftime. Because they came out in the second half and walked through Auburn like "poo-poo" through a tin horn. :biggrin:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The Barn rolled up big numbers on offense against bad teams. Their best win was LSU, but that came when LSU was playing bad enough to fire their coach.
This. I read a stat that the Barn has played 4 teams in the top 35 in total defense and they averaged 12 pts/game. In games against teams outside the top 35 in total defense they averaged 44 pts/game.

From what I have read in this thread OU is not a top 35 defense so I would assume AU can score a lot of points on them if healthy.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Provided that Auburn comes to play (and they may not -- too banged up physically and emotionally), Mayfield will be exposed. He just doesn't play well against very good defenses. Just my take. No insult meant. I like Oklahoma, always have, just Stoops is annoying. If Auburn's RBs are healthy and their defense is not too banged up, I would not be surprised to see Auburn beat down Oklahoma to the order of 24-14 or something like that. But, these are all big if's. If I had to offer anything though, I think Oklahoma wins somewhat big like 31-21 (Auburn's 7 FGs). Dude can kick.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Oklahoma's passing game is a very bad match up for Auburn's back 7. If you can block their DL, which is one of the better units in the country, then you are going to run up some points on that defense.

It's already been said, but Auburn's offense is banged up and if they can get healthy, I think they can put some pressure on OU with their running game. And Auburn has a great kicker as well. But if both teams are full strength, I think OU would have to give the game away to lose. I would guess something like a 34-24 type score with OU winning.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
First, let me say as I have said in the past...how fortunate you all are to be living in this unprecedented time of Alabama fout ball. I have been fortunate to have been an OU fan for the entire post WW2 period but as stellar as our record as been nothing compares to the Tide under Saban. Yes we had the 47 game winning streak but it was easier then with no Scholls limits. Anyway, congratulations. Now, it looks like we'll play Auburn in the Sugar Bowl assuming we win Sat. This is the best O we have had since '08 when we had Bradford, Murray, and Gresham but it's the worst D in the Stoops era. What can we expect from the Tigers?
If you let them hang around, strange things happen in football games. If you don't pulverize them, you may lose. You probably will anyway because of that Swiss cheese defense.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
We put up over 400 yds total O on Ohio St. w/o a healthy Dede Westbrook or Samaje Perine. Mayfield is playing as well as any Stoops QB not named Bradford. In fact, his stats are better than Bradford. I am not worried about our O. But our D is pathetic.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If you let them hang around, strange things happen in football games. If you don't pulverize them, you may lose. You probably will anyway because of that Swiss cheese defense.
No truer words can be said about Auburn. I don't know what deal Jacobs and Dye have made with the devil but if they are allowed to hang around in a game some of the craziest things happen in their favor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.