After 12 games, Bama finishes ranked 128 (of 128) in 'opponents penalties against'...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Alabama finished 128th in the country in the statistical category “opponents penalties against”. Out of a total of 128 teams. That’s right, Alabama’s opponents have been penalized less than those of any other team in America. If the Red Elephant Club is paying off the SEC officials as fans of other schools occasionally allege, they need to sweeten the pot -- a lot. That, or every other team just manages to play far more within the rules when they take on a cupcake team like Alabama.
Read this in an email a friend sent me, I knew it was bad, but good grief...

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Thanks for the gouge CrimsonAudio. These stats refute everything you typically see on LSU, Auburn, A&M and Tennessee forums; a large population really does believe the SEC tries to influence Alabama's dominance through officiating (which is a bit scary to think so many people would rather blame someone else than realize it is their own team's sub-par performance that caused the poor results). Good grief...Nick Saban has a whole lot more to do with wining percentage than officials who try their best to referee a fast paced game.

But I was surprised to see several folks on our boards also believe that many and/or most SEC officials are crooked. And I don't believe this is true. I have faith and confidence that official's calls are reviewed by the conference and if they are prejudice..or just plain bad officials...they don't last long. I know folks will reply with numerous examples of replay showing and proving officials made the wrong call....but the truth is people make mistakes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It shouldn't show up in officiating, but I wonder if the refs know we are superior at every position and they err or the side of the opponent sometimes.

I think its kinda like how many feel Gary and Verne are "against" Alabama when they are really just hoping the opposing team can make it a decent ballgame.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the better teams often deal with this problem. But I would rather be good and deal with this than deal with the alternative.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
In other news, "the sky is blue an water is wet." We all knew this just didn't think it was this bad... WoW 😳

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
This was brought up after the ol miss game when I started the officiating across college football thread.

At one point this season Washington and Ohio state took the "lead" but yay is, we finished strong.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Very interesting. I do think there's a subconscious degree of pity by a ref. You have four DLs crashing past their blockers with ease. They get held almost every play, yet still they hit the QB. What are you going to do, throw a flag every play?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.