Alabama is oh so close to be the best team in history.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think a team needs to win the NC to be considered among the best in history. If we run the table then yes, we might be among the best ever if not the very best. I don't see how the 1988 Miami team got on that list nor the 2014 Oregon team. The 1988 Miami team lost to ND who went 12-0 and won the championship while the 2014 Oregon team had 2 losses that season, losing to Ohio State in the final. Those two teams weren't even the best during those seasons, much less among the best of all time.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
This conversation sounds extremely similar to what was being discussed about LSU the year we beat them in the BCSCG.

Let's wait until the dust settles....season is not over yet.

RTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Wow! I'm almost numb to it all. I'm trying SO hard not to be. I lived thru Curry, Dubose, Shula, Fran, Price, all of it. I have been at the very bottom, so I'm definitely not spoiled. It's just hard to fathom all this success. I'll be the first to admit I was almost more relieved last year at the end of the title game than joyful, and that shouldn't be. I'm going to enjoy this run this year.

Crazy thing is this team has issues to improve upon. Can you imagine if Jalen got the passing game in sync on a consistent basis?
This defense might be the best ever in crimson. This team is just amazing, and like someone else mentioned the coaching might be even BETTER. So I haven't really added anything substantial but ROLL TIDE! :wink:

Wow! I'm almost numb to it all. I'm trying SO hard not to be. I lived thru Curry, Dubose, Shula, Fran, Price, all of it. I have been at the very bottom, so I'm definitely not spoiled. It's just hard to fathom all this success. I'll be the first to admit I was almost more relieved last year at the end of the title game than joyful, and that shouldn't be. I'm going to enjoy this run this year.

Crazy thing is this team has issues to improve upon. Can you imagine if Jalen got the passing game in sync on a consistent basis?
This defense might be the best ever in crimson. This team is just amazing, and like someone else mentioned the coaching might be even BETTER. So I haven't really added anything substantial but ROLL TIDE! :wink:
See, you haven't forgotten. That's a good thing. I remember those things too. Been through all that. My good friend had to pull me back from the ledge because I was ready to give up then BAM!!![emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I saw this posted by ESPN today on Facebook. Followed by hundreds of people commenting that the 2001 Miami team is by far the greatest team ever. Such a tired argument to me. That Miami team had the luxury of playing in the Big Least. All they had to do was get by FSU every year and they had a shot at a title. In 2001 they played Nebraska, who shouldn't have even been in the BCSCG game that year. Nebraska got shellacked the previous game by Colorado, 62-36. 2009 Alabama played 2 more games than that Miami team and ended the season beating back to back undefeated teams. #1 followed by #2.
That isn't the same big east that you think it was. Keep in mind Tom o'brien is still coaching BC, and pasaqualoni is at Syracuse, and VT is still there.It is a pretty good conference. I would argue that it was stronger than the acc that year. Guess who won the ACC in 2001... Maryland.

Also keep in mind that Miami team's ooc schedule included road games to FSU and PSU, and a game with a top 25 Washington team. Not exactly a cupcake schedule.

The Miami in 2001 was a beast, and is certainly one of the top 5 greatest teams of all time. Yes it was a travesty that they were fed an undeserving Nebraska, but name one team that could stay on the field against them? LSU maybe, but totally underdeserving with 3 losses. Really the only teams outside the big XII 4 teams that had a good claim is Oregon and Maryland. Neither really say "I'm going to win" or "keep it close" against that Miami team

Also why the heck did you put the last sentence in your argument? It doesn't help your argument at all in either sense. Because you are basically saying the 2009 is better than any team pre 2005 because they didn't play more than 12 games, and they are better than the 2016 team automatically because the 2016 doesn't play back to back undefeated teams in the post season. It's quite a useless point when comparing the two.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The best football team ever, for it's era, was Bama in 1966.
The youngsters will argue, "Yeah but it was a different era".
I'd agree, but we also had a future Super Bowl winning quarterback(Snake), a couple of N.F.L. receivers in Perkins and Holman, and the first round draft pick, (Les Kelley) of the New Orleans Saints.
We gave up less than one foot per punt return!
And we gave up 37 points for the season while shutting out our last five opponents.
In the Sugar Bowl we beat Nebraska 34-7.
Green Bay coach Vince Lombardi, after winning the Super Bowl, was asked, "Is this the the best football team ever"? His reply was, "I don't know. We haven't played Alabama yet."
You really would have had to have seen it to believe it.
Nobody could move the ball on us. Nobody could stop us from moving the ball.
Nobody could return kicks. Nobody could do anything against us.
It was absolute and complete total domination, from start to finish, every single game.
Best team I've ever seen, bar none.
But I do think, if this team wins out, that its Bama's best team under Saban, without question.
Best defense, without question, in the current era.
sip

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The best football team ever, for it's era, was Bama in 1966.
The youngsters will argue, "Yeah but it was a different era".
I'd agree, but we also had a future Super Bowl winning quarterback(Snake), a couple of N.F.L. receivers in Perkins and Holman, and the first round draft pick, (Les Kelley) of the New Orleans Saints.
We gave up less than one foot per punt return!
And we gave up 37 points for the season while shutting out our last five opponents.
In the Sugar Bowl we beat Nebraska 34-7.
Green Bay coach Vince Lombardi, after winning the Super Bowl, was asked, "Is this the the best football team ever"? His reply was, "I don't know. We haven't played Alabama yet."
You really would have had to have seen it to believe it.
Nobody could move the ball on us. Nobody could stop us from moving the ball.
Nobody could return kicks. Nobody could do anything against us.
It was absolute and complete total domination, from start to finish, every single game.
Best team I've ever seen, bar none.
But I do think, if this team wins out, that its Bama's best team under Saban, without question.
Best defense, without question, in the current era.
sip
Yeah I think it's mostly a preference and generational thing when it comes to best of all time discussions. I hear a lot about the 66 Bama team and the 71 Nebraska team from older generations. But for me personally I would say the 95 Nebraska, 2001 Miami, 2004 USC*, and the 2011 Bama/LSU teams all are probably the best in my lifetime. This current team may surpass all of them, but without a crown at this point in the journey it's a failure.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The best teams I've ever seen, in chronological order are:

Bama 66
Ohio State 69
Nebraska 71
Oklahoma 71
Miami 90-91
Bama 92
The 94 or 95 Nebraska team that beat Florida 135,000 to 2...:biggrin:
(Fast forward ten years to 2008...some very good but no "Great" teams IMO)

2008 Florida
2009 Bama
2012 Bama
2016 Bama??

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The best teams I've ever seen, in chronological order are:

Bama 66
Ohio State 69
Nebraska 71
Oklahoma 71
Miami 90-91
Bama 92
The 94 or 95 Nebraska team that beat Florida 135,000 to 2...:biggrin:
(Fast forward ten years to 2008...some very good but no "Great" teams IMO)

2008 Florida
2009 Bama
2012 Bama
2016 Bama??
2001 Miami was one of the best of all time. 2001 Miami was a part of the 34 straight wins and was robbed of 42 straight wins by the refs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.