Link: Butch Jones and Tennessee Have a 'Bust' Problem

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

"Recruiting" is a term that gets thrown around a lot in college football. It's come to be a catch-all that refers to talent acquisition and roster building but usually it is distilled down to one metric: recruiting rankings.

That doesn't tell the whole story though and Butch Jones at Tennessee is a perfect example. From the moment he was hired as the head coach in Knoxville, Jones has been hailed as a great "recruiter."

On the surface, the praise is well-earned. Jones elevated Tennessee's recruiting rankings to a level we'd expect from an SEC title contender. So he is a good recruiter in the literal sense that Jones has been able to construct classes with prospects that a lot of other schools wanted.

But successful recruiting in practice only matters if you've got two other qualities. It's also about being strong evaluators and maybe most importantly, being strong developers of talent once it arrives.

It's in either one or both of these other areas that Jones and his staff have been severely lacking. The best illustration of this is Tennessee'***** rate with elite recruits.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The author has it right - great recruiting doesn't help unless you develop the talent. But is he really suggesting that TN has recruited at a level that would have them competing with Alabama?

I have no idea what the problem is at TN. Never really cared enough about them to dig, and my wife's entire family hates TN, so they don't get much of my time. But on the surface I would say that they have the same problem that the other schools in the SEC have - Nick Saban.

These other schools in the SEC need to do themselves a favor and stop changing head coaches every 3-4 years. Their best bet for building the program to take over after Saban retires is continuity and stability within their programs.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
There's no real way of telling if they're evaluating poorly or failing to develop the talent once it arrives but clearly one of the two is going on.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The author has it right - great recruiting doesn't help unless you develop the talent. But is he really suggesting that TN has recruited at a level that would have them competing with Alabama?
I didn't get that sense at all. He's using Alabama to compare the success rate of the top rated players. He's inferring that if Butch had a higher success rate on those players Tennessee would have a better record. Instead, he's not getting much out of the top rated recruits he signs.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland

These other schools in the SEC need to do themselves a favor and stop changing head coaches every 3-4 years. Their best bet for building the program to take over after Saban retires is continuity and stability within their programs.
Think the problem of fan bases driving a suicidal circle of manager replacement as the incumbent cannot compete with Bama will see the SEC enter a down cycle over the next few years.

Ironically this down cycle may be the one thing (the drop in the level of regular season competition) that ultimately has an impact on CNS's process at Alabama (roll tide).

I see the same comments from the fans of all the other SEC teams who's forums I've visited.

Auburn, Tennesee, LSU, ATM, Florida the team names change but the only desire remains the same....

Beat Bama.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Isn't this the same problem they had the last few years of Phat Phil (aka King Krispy Kreme) IIRC he had several years of highly rated recruiting classes and nothing to show for it on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
I'll just leave this gem here:

:biggrin2:
This ^^ I have to say, this picture hasn't gotten as much attention as I thought it would the past few weeks considering how hard UcheeT crashed and burned. These jabronis bought tickets and organized a watch party at our game just so they could put that sign up and what, get in our heads? This is the problem with a lot of SEC teams. They put everything they have into beating us. They make their ultimate goal to beat us. Instead of preparing every week for the teams in front of them, they continue to look ahead to our game and focus too much on what we are doing against our opponents. After the hail mary win over UGA, their AD was on the field telling Botch "Bama's Next" even though we were not the next team up for them. So what happens when they lose to Bama? They fall apart because that is really their goal. What happens when teams beat us? They get too high, lose the edge that helped them beat us, stop working on improving week-to-week, and inevitably, run out of steam before the season's over (Ole Miss 2014-15)

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Isn't this the same problem they had the last few years of Phat Phil (aka King Krispy Kreme) IIRC he had several years of highly rated recruiting classes and nothing to show for it on the field.

There's one more element to recruiting: ability to find players willing to play as a team. Supposed you could have only 5-star recruits as a class, and I bet you'd have so many EGOs that the players would destroy the team chemistry before they won a single game. The best coach cannot make a player practice, lift weights, or even study the playbook when that player does not want to do the work. The missing element in many teams is getting 22+ guys that are willing to work together to achieve something great. It's part coaching and part player personality. See Randy Moss for all world talent boxed in a crappy attitude. Willingness to work as a team player and mesh with other teammates is the missing element in ranking a recruiting class. How many times has a team with an average recruiting ranking won a national championship? How many times do you watch an NFL game and wonder where half of the players came from, because you've never heard their names in college?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
There's one more element to recruiting: ability to find players willing to play as a team. Supposed you could have only 5-star recruits as a class, and I bet you'd have so many EGOs that the players would destroy the team chemistry before they won a single game. The best coach cannot make a player practice, lift weights, or even study the playbook when that player does not want to do the work. The missing element in many teams is getting 22+ guys that are willing to work together to achieve something great. It's part coaching and part player personality. See Randy Moss for all world talent boxed in a crappy attitude. Willingness to work as a team player and mesh with other teammates is the missing element in ranking a recruiting class. How many times has a team with an average recruiting ranking won a national championship? How many times do you watch an NFL game and wonder where half of the players came from, because you've never heard their names in college?
Which makes what Saban has done at Bama even more amazing when you think about the considerable egos that come with the talent level he recruits every year.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
As Paul Finebaum has said a lot of times before "The good thing is he's a great recruiter. The bad thing is he shows up with them to coach on Saturdays."

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Mark Richt had a similar problem. He was usually good at evaluating talent (save that 2013 class) and then getting it in the door. But he didn't always develop talent while they were in Athens.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Which makes what Saban has done at Bama even more amazing when you think about the considerable egos that come with the talent level he recruits every year.

Steve Spurrier actually took a jab at CNS's ability to develop players at Bama by insinuating we've under achieved based on the talent we brought in. I think it happened somewhere after the 2013 or 2014 season I believe, maybe during SEC media days. He said something like (paraphrase) it didn't matter how many No.1 recruiting classes, it's what you do with what you have that matters. I could be wrong though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Steve Spurrier actually took a jab at CNS's ability to develop players at Bama by insinuating we've under achieved based on the talent we brought in. I think it happened somewhere after the 2013 or 2014 season I believe, maybe during SEC media days. He said something like (paraphrase) it didn't matter how many No.1 recruiting classes, it's what you do with what you have that matters. I could be wrong though.
He said it. He was wrong. Again. But he threw stuff like that out there about everyone.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
He said it. He was wrong. Again. But he threw stuff like that out there about everyone.
After his tenure at UF his mouth wrote checks that he couldn't cash...CNS has so far outshone him that the comparison isn't even close. I once respected him, but after he QUIT on his team last year, I lost all of that.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.