News Article: Cheat or Go Home: Inside the Dysfunction of Becoming a CFB Coach

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Very good read, and nothing in it surprises me. I wonder who the mystery coach was.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Started in his early 30's and still there; that would not be a long list of suspects

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not really a big fan of the article. What is demonstrates is that it's difficult but not impossible to successfully run a clean program. But, to defend cheating because it helps a lesser program keep up (which is basically what it gets at)? C'mon... the rules are there for a reason. Stong wasn't fired because he didn't cheat enough, he was fired because his team couldn't beat Kansas. Or are we to believe Kansas pays their football players more?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not really a big fan of the article. What is demonstrates is that it's difficult but not impossible to successfully run a clean program. But, to defend cheating because it helps a lesser program keep up (which is basically what it gets at)? C'mon... the rules are there for a reason. Stong wasn't fired because he didn't cheat enough, he fired because his team couldn't beat Kansas. Or are we to believe Kansas pays their football players more?
I think that it was talking to the moral dilemmas faced by coaches, not all of which involve cheating or paying players.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I think that it was talking to the moral dilemmas faced by coaches, not all of which involve cheating or paying players.
This is how I took it as well. He's not justifying cheating. He's looking at it through the lens of a coach who faces this decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
A lot of these schools are trying to become Bama, USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc. and will never be able to do it without cheating in some way. We have them in our own conference. CNS is a GOAT coach. There's no shame if you're Ole Miss or UT or UGA or LSU or Auburn, etc. and win 8-10 games with an occasional great season and occasional losing season. It's not worth cheating and wrecking lives over it. But you can't tell them that.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
A lot of these schools are trying to become Bama, USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc. and will never be able to do it without cheating in some way. We have them in our own conference. CNS is a GOAT coach. There's no shame if you're Ole Miss or UT or UGA or LSU or Auburn, etc. and win 8-10 games with an occasional great season and occasional losing season. It's not worth cheating and wrecking lives over it. But you can't tell them that.
Are you listening, awbern? :cool2:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's my guess.

Gundy's first season was 2005. Ok State signed a bunch of 3* guys, no 4* guys an one 5* guy. You'll be shocked to know it was a defensive lineman.
This part of the story suggests it wouldn't be Gundy since Miles 8-5, 9-4 and 7-5 his last three seasons there. Plus, Gundy was a Miles assistant.

The coach, in his first days on the job at one of college football's most prominent programs, walked into the office of the former staff's recruiting coordinator and stared at the big board. He asked who the most important player available was, and he was pointed toward a 5-star defensive lineman who was down to three schools.

The program was struggling, falling further behind its conference rivals and bleeding relevance with each passing day. Sonofagun, he needed that kid.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Once again - when dollar bills make passes, catches, blocks, and tackles, this becomes a problem. The other amusing thing to me is the no pay for play is REALLY there to even out things somewhat - since a rich school (like Texas, who has all the money in the world but can't afford to buy a decent coach) would have a substantially greater advantage than now over a school like K-State.

Also - I think if you get TECHNICAL then nobody has been totally pure. But let's at least admit there's a difference between giving a recruit a ride home when there's a thunderstorm coming and a $100 handshake (in terms of intent).

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Also - I think if you get TECHNICAL then nobody has been totally pure. But let's at least admit there's a difference between giving a recruit a ride home when there's a thunderstorm coming and a $100 handshake (in terms of intent).
This is the part that really irritates me. From time to time we hear "everyone cheats". Everyone breaks the rules, sure. Some of the rules are silly, stupid, and practically unavoidable. Having a BBQ? Giving a guy a golf cart ride? There are also some victimless crimes. To give one example, a player who is on a team having contact with an agent, even getting money from said agent. Is that breaking the rules, yes! Is it really changing anything? No, it's not! If anything the agent would encourage him to leave school, not stay there. What advantage does the school gain in that situation? None (they'd clearly want the agent far away)! Yet, some people would term that as "cheating". I agree it's a violation of the rules, but not that it is cheating.

What is cheating? What is the real problem to me? It's when Ole Miss goes out and blatantly buys recruiting classes. And if everyone does it, if this is going on everywhere, how in the heck is it so noticeable when Ole Miss does it? I was here before the big recruiting class was signed saying what was going on. Cam Newton at Auburn, being shopped by his dad, his dad choosing his location. That's another example of cheating. It's public record he went there because of his dad. It's public record his dad shopped him. And, yeah we see Auburn here used as proof that everyone is cheating. No, it's proof Auburn is cheating.

I'm not claiming all the programs are clean. They're not. What I'm saying though is that it's stupid to mix up free textbooks with buying a Heisman trophy winner. Everyone breaks the rules, absolutely. Not everyone does what Auburn or Ole Miss did though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.