Question: Which Modern Alabama NC Defense is the Best??

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Thank for this. Very good comparative data. This does show how great 2016 has been.

I do agree with JD that the comparison by % difference would be even more exact, at least in certain categories.

This data still leaves me with my question, though, as to why 2011 was statistically so far ahead of everyone else in their year (even that really good LSU defense), while 2016 is relatively not that far ahead of several teams this year. It could be that 2016 is actually way ahead of everyone this year when adjusted to strength of the offenses we've played. Another possibility is that there are more extremely good defenses this year, but I don't really see that from what I've watched.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
The 92 defense might give up a few more points if they faced today's spread offenses...but Curry, Copeland 7 company are in their late 40s.

92 D was the most offensive D we've had - in terms of forcing the offense to react to them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Thank for this. Very good comparative data. This does show how great 2016 has been.

I do agree with JD that the comparison by % difference would be even more exact, at least in certain categories.

This data still leaves me with my question, though, as to why 2011 was statistically so far ahead of everyone else in their year (even that really good LSU defense), while 2016 is relatively not that far ahead of several teams this year. It could be that 2016 is actually way ahead of everyone this year when adjusted to strength of the offenses we've played. Another possibility is that there are more extremely good defenses this year, but I don't really see that from what I've watched.
I'll post the numbers for the 2011 defense tomorrow. I was surprised at how weak their opposition scoring offense was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Assuming this team finishes the way they've played through 12 games, 2016 is the best we've ever had. Want proof? Try this though exercise - drop the 2016 defense in to any season the other defenses excelled in and ask yourself if you think they'd be better or worse...

Ditto for the other defenses - would 2011 be as good against modern offenses? Nope, not in my opinion.

What makes the 2016 D special is that it's equally adept at stopping the old offensive styles the were prevalent until the last few years and still great at stopping the modern offenses that stress the defense far more than the older offenses did.
This is the 2011 defense with a Pass Rush. SCARY!!!! And the BEST!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wasn't able to finish the stats today because I had to do work things. 2011 is going to be a problem, though. Can't properly judge LSU's stats unless I take away both games from theirs to show how they did in their 12 other games.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Wasn't able to finish the stats today because I had to do work things. 2011 is going to be a problem, though. Can't properly judge LSU's stats unless I take away both games from theirs to show how they did in their 12 other games.
The main thing I remember is how the consensus thought was IF the 2011 LSU squad had won the NC they would have been considered the 'Greatest Ever'. Not including our games with them they beat 7 Top 25 teams including Oregon who finished #4 and West Virginia who finished #17. Their average margin of victory in those 7 wins against ranked competition was 25 ppg. They pretty much demolished everyone.

Plus in the 12 games not including us they scored 41 ppg on Offense which was good for about 9th. But they did play us.... and averaged 4.5 ppg dropping their average to 35.7ppg and 17th overall. The 2011 D absolutely shut them down like putting a car boot on a Ferrari!!....I mean who does that??? Oh yeah...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Finished all of the stats today. Had to update the 2016 ones with Florida, Western Kentucky and Chattanooga playing Saturday.

Alabama Defense.jpg

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
What about points scored BY the defense?

When you factor in that this defense has contributed, what, 10 TDs?

Considering they've given up 15 TDs, that's a net of only 5.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
On Mike & Mike this morning, they said that Alabama's defense and special teams had scored 14 TDs while allowing 14 TDs on the season. Not sure if the second part is true or not. But think about that - any points by your offense in a game essentially means that you win. :biggrin:

Obviously not true because you do give up FGs, but still.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
On Mike & Mike this morning, they said that Alabama's defense and special teams had scored 14 TDs while allowing 14 TDs on the season. Not sure if the second part is true or not. But think about that - any points by your offense in a game essentially means that you win. :biggrin:

Obviously not true because you do give up FGs, but still.
It is accurate... we've given up 14 offensive TDs and 1 defensive one (though more than a couple were due to short fields).

The defense has scored 10 TDs.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
By today's standards, the offenses that you faced that year were horrid.
yes, but that's why it's important to the look at how all those teams did against the relative competition in each year. even when looking at the percentages this years team is better. They've held teams to around 35% of the points they normally score. The 92 team held opponents to 45% of their normal output. both are incredibly impressive, but have to say that this year's might just be the best if they continue the trend. Never thought I would see it, as I was in school with those guys in 92 and that was one heck of a team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
yes, but that's why it's important to the look at how all those teams did against the relative competition in each year. even when looking at the percentages this years team is better. They've held teams to around 35% of the points they normally score. The 92 team held opponents to 45% of their normal output. both are incredibly impressive, but have to say that this year's might just be the best if they continue the trend. Never thought I would see it, as I was in school with those guys in 92 and that was one heck of a team.
Yeah, I wasn't ripping the '92 defense. I loved that team. I was just startled at how poor offenses were back then relative to today's offenses.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I really liked the way Alabama played team defense in 92. I especially liked our defensive backfield.

I also believe our current defense man for man is bigger faster stronger than the 92 defense. It was great in its era.(92) This one still has much to prove. I worry too much and all the individual accolades are well deserved, but I like it better when a team or players feel slighted and want to prove the pundits wrong.

No one better than keeping the clutter to a minimum than Saban, and all the honors help in recruiting so it's pick your poison. If our current defense wants to rip the heads off the opposing team they can. I hope they practice like they do and play that way also. If so we could just kill the clock with some good strong play without too much trickery in setting up the other team.

Cant help but wonder how Kiffin will do, although he may have a chip on his shoulder by then to show he can score with the best of them.

All that said the 92 defense will hold a special place in my heart regardless of which is considered best. 2011, this year or any other. The 1992 and 2011 defenses came to prove something. If this years defense does the same look out.

I will also add I do not remember the 1992 defense having any injuries. I could be way off, just do not remember.....maybe a LB....?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With all the talk about tempo the last few years, I'm surprised that the plays per game average are almost the same.
Probably because you guys have a lot more big plays under Kiffin. That's how his offense works. He doesn't grind until he is trying to kill the clock.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.