Question: Which Modern Alabama NC Defense is the Best??

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The game is so different from then but don't let anyone fool you about the talent on that defense. That was a nasty quick bunch of dudes. They match up better against last year's squad in makeup in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I really liked the way Alabama played team defense in 92. I especially liked our defensive backfield.

I also believe our current defense man for man is bigger faster stronger than the 92 defense. It was great in its era.(92) This one still has much to prove. I worry too much and all the individual accolades are well deserved, but I like it better when a team or players feel slighted and want to prove the pundits wrong.

No one better than keeping the clutter to a minimum than Saban, and all the honors help in recruiting so it's pick your poison. If our current defense wants to rip the heads off the opposing team they can. I hope they practice like they do and play that way also. If so we could just kill the clock with some good strong play without too much trickery in setting up the other team.

Cant help but wonder how Kiffin will do, although he may have a chip on his shoulder by then to show he can score with the best of them.

All that said the 92 defense will hold a special place in my heart regardless of which is considered best. 2011, this year or any other. The 1992 and 2011 defenses came to prove something. If this years defense does the same look out.

I will also add I do not remember the 1992 defense having any injuries. I could be way off, just do not remember.....maybe a LB....?
Michael Rogers. Was starting ILB and was in a car crash that cost him the post season. Chris Donnelly got dinged and missed a few games and there were some other nicks but I don't think many missed serious time.Nothing like this year where we've lost several starters (jackson, taylor) for extended periods of time.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
About to enter dangerous territory here, but the stats indicate the 2016 defense is better than 1992.

Hmmm.....looks like I may have to reevaluate my previous rankings. Well if they keep it up for 2 more games and win the NC that is. Though I still think the 2011 secondary was a stronger Unit even before this years injuries. I really wish we could play Fantasy football and put this 2016 front 7 with the 2011 back 4 and just watch the brutal deconstruction of opposing offenses :cool2:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
That 1992 defense had some of my favorite Tide players of all time on it. I love me some George Teague. He was also a very good Dallas Cowboy.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
1992 was the best, then 2009 was the best, then 2011 was the best, then 2015 was the best. If you can't figure out the common denominator...

2016 still has work to do but if they win the NC they will be the best defense ever, not just at Bama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
1992 was the best, then 2009 was the best, then 2011 was the best, then 2015 was the best. If you can't figure out the common denominator...

2016 still has work to do but if they win the NC they will be the best defense ever, not just at Bama.
We all live in the moment, so it's easy to say each year is the best.

That's why the stats mean so much here. Crazy statistical difference with this team compared to the others.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
We all live in the moment, so it's easy to say each year is the best.

That's why the stats mean so much here. Crazy statistical difference with this team compared to the others.

Well that's kind of my point. Each time we have a smothering defense and win the national championship, that team is held in higher regard than the others. 2016 has to win, it would be a serious crime if we don't win this year.

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham
This is the key point in the debate:

Yeah, I wasn't ripping the '92 defense. I loved that team. I was just startled at how poor offenses were back then relative to today's offenses.
I have never seen a college defense like this one dominate in almost every possible category. The front 7 are lean and mean. This does not bode well for any opponent.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Here are some amazing stats concerning our run defense and its consistency:
In 13 games only given up 31 runs for over 10 yards.
Of those, only 11 were by QB's; remember when we were so challenged by running QB'S? (I did not believe it either). But, JF III had 2 of those; does he count as a QB?
Only 6 running plays( Reuben says only 6??) over 20 yds
8 of those were against A&M
Against TN,LSU, AU and FL; a total of 3 running plays over 10 yds.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Here are some amazing stats concerning our run defense and its consistency:
In 13 games only given up 31 runs for over 10 yards.
Of those, only 11 were by QB's; remember when we were so challenged by running QB'S? (I did not believe it either)
Only 6 running plays( Reuben says only 6??) over 20 yds
8 of those were against A&M
Against TN,LSU, AU and FL; a total of 3 running plays over 10 yds.
:eek2:

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Well I beg to differ I was born in 1957 and I feel I am still part of the modern era. They wore helments and we had tv and phones back then and even cars.
But, no jet sweeps and bubble screens. Ah, the good old days.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I also believe our current defense man for man is bigger faster stronger than the 92 defense. It was great in its era.(92) This one still has much to prove. I worry too much and all the individual accolades are well deserved, but I like it better when a team or players feel slighted and want to prove the pundits wrong.

No one better than keeping the clutter to a minimum than Saban, and all the honors help in recruiting so it's pick your poison.
There's also something to be said for proving the pundits right! Everyone knows this defense is scary and mean; and they get off on living up to that, it seems

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
There's also something to be said for proving the pundits right! Everyone knows this defense is scary and mean; and they get off on living up to that, it seems

I have a feeling this group has totally bought into Saban's demand to ignore pundits and to play up to their own standard.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.