Question: Which SEC West team will be our biggest threat going forward?

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
My $.02 worth:
LSU strictly on a talent level. They can match up with us physically. If CEO can hire a decent OC and keep Aranda @ DC and let his assistants coach then they could be a dangerous team year in and year out.

aTm could be a sleeping giant if they would ever make a commitment to actually field a defense and learn how to play a complete season.

If these two teams were to ever change the mindset about their game with Bama (meaning it being the next game on the schedule for them instead of being the end all be all and falling apart should they lose it because of being entirely invested in the game emotionally that they have nothing left in the tank if they lose) they could pose a challenge year in and year out.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
LSU. If Coach O gets a legit offensive coordinator and QB in there there's no reason they can't be national title contenders. He's a great recruiter and they're always loaded with talent.

Auburn has a shot but it feels like unless Gus lands the right QB his offense just doesn't work that well. They aren't that far away from being very good though.

Ole Miss feels like they're about to trend down. Miss State feels like without Dak they're not close. Arkansas and A&M have ability but I don't see it with the talent level or the scheme to match up well with Alabama.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
But until the present and a few Cutcliff years, who has succeeded at ole miss since the 60s? For that matter until recently with a few Jackie Sherrill years who has succeeded at MSU and Ole Miss since that time period?

I'm not overally concerned about Oeaux unless he hire CLK who knows our offensive and defensive weaknesses, but I think Oeaux could be a reasonable threat. I don't think holding his Ole Miss record against him is a true telling sign of what we should expect from him. If that was so look at CGS's record prior to coming to Alabama. It's far worse
and gene chizik won a national champion ship, so anything can happen ;)

coach o <> to coach stallings

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
But until the present and a few Cutcliff years, who has succeeded at ole miss since the 60s? For that matter until recently with a few Jackie Sherrill years who has succeeded at MSU and Ole Miss since that time period?
the same thing can be said about lsu. aside from the saban/miles time period, they pretty much sucked

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
the same thing can be said about lsu. aside from the saban/miles time period, they pretty much sucked
LSU's time in the wilderness was more self inflicted by bad firings, unfortunate events (Ryan), and bad hirings. Mississippi hasn't really ever been a talent heavy state like Louisana and Florida, so it's a little more understandable.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
I agree with what you are saying about most of the teams, except Miss State. QB play hasn't been the problem with them over the last 10 games I think the current QB has broken all of Dak's single season records, they have major problems with the O-line and D-line. Mullen I think could have some 9 win season in him yet, they totally destroyed O-miss to end the season on a positive note.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I would say that the corndogs will be our biggest concern, unless awbern gets a real coach...:cool2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree with what you are saying about most of the teams, except Miss State. QB play hasn't been the problem with them over the last 10 games I think the current QB has broken all of Dak's single season records, they have major problems with the O-line and D-line. Mullen I think could have some 9 win season in him yet, they totally destroyed O-miss to end the season on a positive note.
If Mullen was at a place like Florida or Georgia he would be a true power in the SEC. I think his problem is the lack of in sate recruiting, but it just shows what a good coach he is by the product he has put on the field since 09. Yeah 60-42 isn't great by Bama standards, but by miss state standards that's phenomenal. Heck Jackie was 75-75 at msu and that was considered good. But again recruiting is the detriment for Mississippi schools and it surprises me why Mullen doesn't get the serious attention when it comes to these coaching searches. It could be he is very happy in cowbell land.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I would say that the corndogs will be our biggest concern, unless awbern gets a real coach...:cool2:
Who would want that job now ? Even for a bunch of money. They had to go mid-major last time. The environment is much worse now. I don't mean that literally no one would take it, but who of any significance. LSU, which is a much better job, hired O, though much of that was on the AD. Unless they hit a home run with an asst, there is just not much for AU to pick from.

As far as competition to Bama:

1) LSU - even though their talent isn't quite at Bama's level now, especially on both LOSs, it is definitely second best and can most easily improve. But Coach O is at best a C hire. Aranda is A+, but while he and a good OC make a difference they cannot completely overcome an ordinary, at best, HC. Doesn't mean they can never beat Bama, but it will be tough for them.

2) A&M - they have the money, commitment, recruiting base and enough tradition to be a real problem. But as with every program, even Bama, HC is the biggest factor, and Sumlin does not look like the answer.

3) AU - they have the desire and money, but they don't have the HC and the prospects of getting someone who can compete with Bama aren't good. The money would be good, but being in the same conf, division and state with Alabama is a great disincentive. Legacies and lifelong AU fans, even in their own state, typically sign with Alabama if they truly want them. Also, the constraints imposed by a dysfunctional athletic admin seriously limit their options. This year in a weakened SEC, AU had its third winning SEC record since Bama got it going 9 years ago.

IMO, only LSU, poses any kind of consistent threat. But with an average HC, even their chances aren't good. They have been the only consistent threat in the last 9 years. No one else is worth mentioning, though someone can always pop up.

The reality is that the West is facing arguably the greatest program in college football history, far and away the greatest program in the SEC, with more NCs than all other programs combined, with arguably the greatest coach of all time, at the height of his powers, recruiting the best players (with only OSU a competitor) every year, on the greatest run in college football history. Things can change today, Bama may lose to UF, but it's reasonable to say that the West, as well as almost everyone else (only OSU with Meyer and maybe UT with Herman), is at their mercy for the moment. Even if they don't win this year, they should and probably will be, favored again next year, though OSU and maybe USC and FSU, will get some play.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think it will be LSU like it usually is. We always have the bye week before we play them which indicates that they are considered the biggest threat.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It has to be LSU, especially if they get Kiffin. They might implode eventually, but they'd do some damage in the process. They're one of the few teams in college football that can match up to Alabama's talent.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
RobK;2937019 Sadly for [B said:
Mississippi State[/B], Dak Prescott now wears Cowboy blue and silver instead of Bully maroon. It should be clear to any rational observer that Dan Mullen has maxed out the potential in Starkville, and should either move on to greener pastures or be satisfied that his best years at Bulldogs’ helm are probably behind him.
I will respectfully disagree concerning MSU. Dak was no doubt the lynch pin that drove State. However, watching Fitzgerald has given me pause that MSU, at the QB position, isn't nearly as bad as everyone thinks. He may not be Dak, but that young man is a player.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.