Question: Which SEC West team will be our biggest threat going forward?

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
It is a hard question to answer.

And perhaps a better way to phrase the question is to ask if you see any other SEC West program that you would classify as "on the rise"?

LSU has more talent than any SEC West team not named the Crimson Tide, but does anybody fear them under Ed Orgeron more than they did under Les Miles?

Coach O may recruit at an elite clip, may modernize their offense with a hot-shot coordinator, and may get them to play at a sky-high and adrenaline-fueled level for a big game or two, but who among us thinks he is equipped to lead a team through the pressure-filled gauntlet of a full season at a championship level?

Auburn seems to be regressing offensively under Gus, as teams have adjusted to stop his trick-bag offense and his shortcut-laden recruiting has left him lacking the right playmakers to run it.

Ole Miss has returned to Planet Earth and the NCAA is still lurking (the cloud of uncertainty may hurt worse than the actual penalties—who knows?—but it hurts nonetheless). Unless Freeze finds a miracle worker to resurrect his defense, 5 to 7 wins per year seem logical going forward.

Arkansas seems stuck in neutral, as middling recruiting classes have yielded middling results. Bret Bielema’s dream of turning the Hogs into a better-than-Big 10-style smashmouth team that nobody wants to play seems as elusive as ever.

Texas A&M? The strongest distinguishing characteristic of Kevin Sumlin’s last four Aggie teams has been their ability to wilt down the stretch.

Sadly for Mississippi State, Dak Prescott now wears Cowboy blue and silver instead of Bully maroon. It should be clear to any rational observer that Dan Mullen has maxed out the potential in Starkville, and should either move on to greener pastures or be satisfied that his best years at Bulldogs’ helm are probably behind him.

I would lean toward LSU being our biggest threat going forward, but not a huge threat. As I alluded above, Coach O may be able to get them sky-high to beat us at some point if they catch a few breaks, but they can’t play that way on emotions for a whole season.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
LSU, especially if they can find an OC and QB.

I do think you're right about CEO's ability to actually lead the program to greater heights. I just don't see it.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
There will always be somebody I never expected:

2008 - LSU (played up)
2009 - To be honest, us :-D
2010 - Auburn (Cam)
2011 - LSU (well somewhat but didn't expect them to be as good as they were)
2012 - aTm (JF)
2013 - Auburn (Gus)
2014 - Mississippi State (Dak)
2015 - Ole Miss (CK)
2016 - Ole Miss again (CK)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
To be honest had LSU had a Matt Flynn type at QB, they probably beat Alabama. They match Bama athlete for athlete on defense but their offense (along with bad clock management) did very little to help them out against AU, UF, and Wisky. So I say LSU. I'm not saying they'll win 11-12 games every year but you better believe CEO will have those guys fired up for Alabama every year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
To be honest had LSU had a Matt Flynn type at QB, they probably beat Alabama. They match Bama athlete for athlete on defense but their offense (along with bad clock management) did very little to help them out against AU, UF, and Wisky. So I say LSU. I'm not saying they'll win 11-12 games every year but you better believe CEO will have those guys fired up for Alabama every year.
LSU's poor play calling was more an issue than their QB. They went back to an ultra conservative game plan and played right into Alabama's hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We bum-rushed LSU for 3 quick sacks by midway through the first quarter and they quickly recoiled into a playcalling style that even Les Miles would've called conservative. I think they came into the week thinking they could hit us over the top and play from ahead with their run game and defense. Since the protection was so poor, they pretty much had to go into the "run game and defense" plan without even a lead.

LSU has consistently been the most talented team we've played in our division since Saban got here. I don't really see that changing any time soon. The question is what are they going to do on their offense to get more effective play from their quarterback. LSU with a good offense is definitely a threat to us. They've more consistently played us tougher than any team in this conference over the balance of Saban's tenure. Coach O has talked a good game w/r/t their offense, said exactly what their fans and boosters want to hear, but lets see if he gets it done.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
LSU has more talent than any SEC West team not named the Crimson Tide, but does anybody fear them under Ed Orgeron more than they did under Les Miles?

Coach O may recruit at an elite clip, may modernize their offense with a hot-shot coordinator, and may get them to play at a sky-high and adrenaline-fueled level for a big game or two, but who among us thinks he is equipped to lead a team through the pressure-filled gauntlet of a full season at a championship level?
LSU just doesn't scare me. Ed Orgeron was 3-21 in the SEC as the Ole Miss head coach. He lost twice to Mike Shula when Bama was on probation. Sure, he has better talent at LSU, but he's still Ed Orgeron.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Seems to me that Coach O is putting a ton of pressure on his yet-to-be-named/found offensive coordinator to transform the program from its current plateau into a title contender. It'll be interesting to see if they go whole-hog on a new system and try to shove a square peg in a round hole ala Tony Franklin under Tuberville or if they phase in a new system with the weapons they have. This is a situation where perhaps an offensive-minded head coach would have given a longer honeymoon/more rope to put a system in place than a "miracle worker" coordinator will.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The concern is if Kiffin gets a head job instead of fulfilling the wink-and-a-nod he gave to his fanbase that Kiffin was his man that he was talking about at the press conference. What if he makes a wiser, more longterm focused hire and gets a guy who is on his ascent up the OC ranks? I still think he's gonna end up hiring Tee Martin away from SC. That is a lot of expectations for a young coordinator...who may just happen to be the best fit for their program.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Sure, Coach Oeaux will have the corndogs fired up to play us. Which means, for us, it will be like any other week, in the SEC.

The problem will be they can not sustain that, for an entire season. No team can. Then comes the big let-down. More so if they lose to us.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
For a couple years, complacency or a Florida-style rash of injuries will be our only competition.

Next year, we'll have to rebuild the defensive line. But every other team in the once mighty SEC West is either in decline or facing more significant question marks.

The state of a program can change that quickly -- ask Oregon -- which is even more validation for the work Nick Saban has done.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that Gus, Freeze and Mullin will soon move on, whether by choice or not. That may also be the case at aTm and Arkansas. And LSU has a new coach who has been miserable as a head coach.

Realistically, none of them for the next few years. I think that the SECw is about to become pretty weak as new head coaches are hired and they gain experience in this league.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LSU just doesn't scare me. Ed Orgeron was 3-21 in the SEC as the Ole Miss head coach. He lost twice to Mike Shula when Bama was on probation. Sure, he has better talent at LSU, but he's still Ed Orgeron.
But until the present and a few Cutcliff years, who has succeeded at ole miss since the 60s? For that matter until recently with a few Jackie Sherrill years who has succeeded at MSU and Ole Miss since that time period?

I'm not overally concerned about Oeaux unless he hire CLK who knows our offensive and defensive weaknesses, but I think Oeaux could be a reasonable threat. I don't think holding his Ole Miss record against him is a true telling sign of what we should expect from him. If that was so look at CGS's record prior to coming to Alabama. It's far worse

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.