News Article: The All Lane Kiffin Related Posts Thread

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Why Lane Kiffin isn't a slam dunk to get a head coaching job

I think this is the thing most people are missing. From the talk, why does anyone believe that it is in CLK's control whether he stays or goes? Or rather, his opportunity to affect whether he stays or goes has come and gone and he didn't do what was needed.
His deal was always for a one year extension, which would run through early next year. It was with substantial conditions. Unless he were extended, his contract would terminate then anyway. I never felt it would be extended and he'd indicated that he didn't want it. Could it be extended? Of course. However, I feel he's probably run out of promises he can make. Or that Saban would believe...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I think there is a reason one obnoxious post went poof...and disappeared from the board. I'm not sure following up with more of the same is the best approach.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I don't know - considering we're talking about the NCAA, I'm sure there's a rule, and it's unlikely to make sense...
My understanding is that it's like a battlefield promotion. You can demote one coach from onfield to "analyst," and you can reverse the process with another, so long as you're under the limit, and that promoted coach could instantly do hands-on coaching and call plays...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

My understanding is that it's like a battlefield promotion. You can demote one coach from onfield to "analyst," and you can reverse the process with another, so long as you're under the limit, and that promoted coach could instantly do hands-on coaching and call plays...
That makes the most sense, but I don't recall how it's been handled by other schools.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

That makes the most sense, but I don't recall how it's been handled by other schools.
I believe LSU added at least one new assistant after Miles was fired and I believe Houston has had to juggle some with several coaches already gone to UT. I think Ohio State even had two full staffs when Meyer was hired.

Of course, if its a matter of NCAA rules, experience shows that Coach Saban has someone on top of those things.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Well good grief. This is a fine thread to come back to after being away from the Internet all day today.

Hopefully it doesn't screw up tomorrow. I don't really care what he does after that... as I said in some other thread about LSU, I'd hate to lose him but we'll be fine in time. I won't hate to lose all of this nonsense, though.
I don't hate losing him, just hope he hasn't stayed too long. The guy can coach but is a liability.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

There's a lot of deletion carnage in the thread already and I didn't read back beyond page 10 before writing this, but I notice the direction the thread is going...

Not here to confirm Saturday Down South's info, but there's a growing amount of information coming out of Tuscaloosa that points to Kiffin leaving after the Florida game. I no longer expect him to coach beyond this week. Same caveat as always -- things could change -- but that's what I'm expecting.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think it's even been done on a temporary basis, when one coach had to have surgery, for example. I don't know of any limitation other than the school's designation of "onfield."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Louisville and wsu hired worse and are in pretty good situations
You know, Petrino and Kiffin share some problems, for sure. However, and this is hard to say, I think Petrino has fewer...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

You know, Petrino and Kiffin share some problems, for sure. However, and this is hard to say, I think Petrino has fewer...
Wow... Tiger Woods = Lane Kiffin

I can only shudder to think what it must have been like for Kiffin and Lance Thompson to be on the same staff at UT together...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Safe to assume that Coach Saban knew this and planned for the future with Sark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Re: Why Lane Kiffin isn't a slam dunk to get a HC job (all Kiffin posts here, please)

I heard Joey freshwater and Brandon chicken were hanging out in ATL this weekend? I'm on the lookout (blue font)

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

Lol, don't check TF for awhile, come back, and opinion has shifted such that our own OC is public enemy #1 (Take heed! He's entirely villified, never to be spoken of positively again, except for maybe in the most perfunctory of "well he did get results" concessives - in fact, you were always leery of the guy and his antics, got a bad feeling about him from the start, remembered his misdeeds at UT and were quite frankly disappointed he was hired, and what's more, you were always secretly ashamed of and definitely did not at all enjoy his early TD hand signalling). Meanwhile, Saban's saying things like:

“And I think those are signs of tremendous maturity as a coach who is not just committed to a system but committed to doing the things he has to do to help players be successful.”
Honestly, I've never been the biggest fan of his playcalling here (although I was pretty impressed with a lot of what he did at UT), but I'm not about to dredge up all my grievances now that it's looking like he's going elsewhere (ok, maybe that's because I've been airing my grievances enough that they don't need dredging), and I'm definitely not going to jump in on the smear campaign. What would be entertaining to see is the always oh-so-subtle reverse sea change that would occur if he ended up staying on as OC - you'd be glad that you took that oddly strong, semi-informed, and entirely misplaced stance on his character then for sure!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.