News Article: The All Lane Kiffin Related Posts Thread

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: Why Lane Kiffin isn't a slam dunk to get a head coaching job

As a teenager, I bounced around a bit and lived with a few families. That taught me the fact that "behind the scenes" there's usually a lot going on that isn't apparent to an outside observer. People do not tend to go around sharing who has an STD, who has martial problems, who is being beaten by their husband,etc... but unfortunately these things still go on. There is an ignorance is bliss aspect that we get by on. Later on while dealing with some people who had public personas, I saw the insider perspective and how that tended to turn people off. There's what they want people to know, and then there's what really goes on.

With Alabama football, all my opinions are from an outsider perspective, and I prefer it that way. I've never really tried to cultivate sources. Even the times some insider info has come my way, I didn't inquire further. The reality is, there's always going to be some stuff going on behind the scenes that would be upsetting. Sometimes it is worse than others, but some people are jerks behind the scenes, some people have bad habits, etc...

My father got a job at a sausage factory as a young man. I asked him once about it and he said "I wouldn't eat their sausages". Yet, he still ate sausage. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, especially if you just want to be able to enjoy something.

Oh, did I tell you about the time we found a dead roach in with the hamburgers and still served that to customers?

Last edited:

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn

Should anyone be surprised at the probability of Coach Kiffin leaving after 3 years? The college football world pretty much predicted one day to one year when he took the job. This seems like it is pretty much on schedule with what he and Coach Saban probably anticipated. I also feel that CNS desires to help Coaches succeed as well as players, and that, along with helping the offense, is why he hired CLK in the first place. I'm sure he will move on this year or next via promotion or NFL. I probably won't get any support for this belief, but I think that CLK feels a genuine respect for and appreciation to CNS for giving him the opportunity to come to Alabama when no one else would, and that will play heavily into any decision to take an inter divisional lateral move. The old "bite the hand" thing, as well as a sign of disloyalty. Just my benefit of the doubt opinion.

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Re: Why Lane Kiffin isn't a slam dunk to get a HC job (all Kiffin posts here, please)

My take from what I heard last night is that CLK will be here through the remaining two games. I wish him well, he's a heck of an OC.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is what I've been trying to tell y'all.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TBF, I was happy to hear it. I've always thought that things could change, if Saban and Kiffin would sit down and work things out without communicating through third parties...

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

As a teenager, I bounced around a bit and lived with a few families. That taught me the fact that "behind the scenes" there's usually a lot going on that isn't apparent to an outside observer. People do not tend to go around sharing who has an STD, who has martial problems, who is being beaten by their husband,etc... but unfortunately these things still go on. There is an ignorance is bliss aspect that we get by on. Later on while dealing with some people who had public personas, I saw the insider perspective and how that tended to turn people off. There's what they want people to know, and then there's what really goes on.

With Alabama football, all my opinions are from an outsider perspective, and I prefer it that way. I've never really tried to cultivate sources. Even the times some insider info has come my way, I didn't inquire further. The reality is, there's always going to be some stuff going on behind the scenes that would be upsetting. Sometimes it is worse than others, but some people are jerks behind the scenes, some people have bad habits, etc...

My father got a job at a sausage factory as a young man. I asked him once about it and he said "I wouldn't eat their sausages". Yet, he still ate sausage. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, especially if you just want to be able to enjoy something.

Oh, did I tell you about the time we found a dead roach in with the hamburgers and still served that to customers?
I know what you mean about this. There are certain clinics I have been to that I would not go get treated for a cold, simply because I know some of their daily operating procedures.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

In computing, we have this notion of a "root certificate". You have to trust something, and all computing trust is rooted in certificate authorities with a root cert.

Bama Nation's root cert is Saban. Trust emanates out of that hardpoint like a bible set in concrete set in a mountain. And, at the moment, Kiffin's prestige is enhanced enormously by this transitive glow of approval.

Approval, like certs, can be revoked. This is why I think we get a reasonable outcome from Kiffin. I don't know what that "reasonable outcome" might be, but I do not think Kiffin will jettison Alabama if he has an option that retains Saban's goodwill, and I don't think Saban will jettison Kiffin if by keeping him for another 6 weeks helps the team.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Should anyone be surprised at the probably of Coach Kiffin leaving after 3 years?
No. And it's my personal opinion that Saban likes it that way (i.e. constant turnover in his staff) because it brings in fresh ideas (and keeps him young to some extent).

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

No. And it's my personal opinion that Saban likes it that way (i.e. constant turnover in his staff) because it brings in fresh ideas (and keeps him young to some extent).
Kirby was his DC for a heck of a long time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Kirby was his DC for a heck of a long time.
True, and Pruitt got very tired of sitting right behind Smart. He and Smart don't really get along that well. Saban actually said a couple of years ago that, if Smart should move on, Pruitt would be his first call. Of course, Smart moving to UGA made it a no-brainer...

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Re: Why Lane Kiffin isn't a slam dunk to get a HC job (all Kiffin posts here, please)

Kirby did a great job, but look what Pruitt did!

RWTT11

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2016
Indian Trail, NC
Kiffin makes splash with his first recruit

When Lane Kiffin was announced as Florida Atlantic's new head coach, the first thing everyone wanted to know was whether he really was a changed man. Did he really learn under Nick Saban? Or is he the same guy who committed NCAA violations at Tennessee and always seemed to find himself in the news for all the wrong reasons at USC?

Well, we began to get that answer on Wednesday, and it isn't necessarily a good look.

With today being National Signing Day for junior college players, Kiffin has signed his first recruit at FAU -- a JUCO quarterback named De'Andre Johnson from East Mississippi Community College.

Does that name sound familiar? It should. Johnson was kicked out of Florida State in the summer of 2015 after he was caught on video striking a woman in a Tallahassee bar. He eventually pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery charges in a story that made national headlines. Johnson even appeared on 'Good Morning America' to apologize to the victim.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...tract-details-opening-press-conference-121416

Last edited by a moderator:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Kiffin makes splash with his first recruit

Welcome to the newly appointed "All Lane Kiffin Related Posts Thread"

The mission of this thread is plain to see...

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I'm not sure what to make of this, if anything.
He will fit in with another florida coach. Tbh I do not care who he recruits to FAU as long as he can recruit and still prepare for the semifinal game. Hope he is good at time management.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm not sure what to make of this, if anything.

Seems to me this is what should happen. A guy gets kicked off a P5 team and ends up at a lower level (group of 5) school to continue his chance at a degree and possibly the NFL.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
The interesting thing to me about Coach Kiffin-to-FAU is that I’m not that certain he couldn’t have gotten that job straight out of USC had the timing fit (in other words, did he really need a 3-year rehab stint with Coach Saban to get that kind of gig?). Despite being rumored to be in the mix everywhere from Oregon to South Carolina to LSU in recent years, it doesn’t appear that there were any Power 5 universities prepared to hand him the keys to the head coach’s office. In the end, it may be how he performs in that role that is more reflective of the value of his time spent here than the fact that he got the job.

And I wish Coach Kiffin well and for nothing but the utmost success at FAU (after helping us capture another national title). If you look up and down the ranks of Conference USA, there’s no reason they can’t build a conference contender there.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

TBF, I was happy to hear it. I've always thought that things could change, if Saban and Kiffin would sit down and work things out without communicating through third parties...
An article in today's Decatur Daily suggests that things might have improved between Saban and Kiffin if it is accurate:

http://www.decaturdaily.com/sports/...cle_f1dadba4-7e7a-5f41-8034-547eb7cce2ab.html

Kiffin said he had expected to return to Tuscaloosa next season despite speculation to the contrary, due in part to perceived conflicts in coaching styles between himself and Saban.

“We’re in a great run,” Kiffin said. “Coach Saban and I have had a great relationship, regardless of what people may think."
On the other hand, with Kiffin headed to another job, it doesn't cost either one anything to now give the impression everything was dandy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The interesting thing to me about Coach Kiffin-to-FAU is that I’m not that certain he couldn’t have gotten that job straight out of USC had the timing fit (in other words, did he really need a 3-year rehab stint with Coach Saban to get that kind of gig?). Despite being rumored to be in the mix everywhere from Oregon to South Carolina to LSU in recent years, it doesn’t appear that there were any Power 5 universities prepared to hand him the keys to the head coach’s office. In the end, it may be how he performs in that role that is more reflective of the value of his time spent here than the fact that he got the job.

And I wish Coach Kiffin well and for nothing but the utmost success at FAU (after helping us capture another national title). If you look up and down the ranks of Conference USA, there’s no reason they can’t build a conference contender there.
New sports reporter at WSFA is from Florida and talked to a source at FAU. Said Kiffin was interested in the job opening 3 years ago. Guess he really needed the rehab with Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.