Your choice for the greatest play?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I started making a list, but it got too long. So yeah, all of the above.

(TJ vs. LSU is probably my favorite of the Saban era)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
Both of mine are from the Saban era.

For sheer emotion, nothing can beat 'Rocky Block'.

From the standpoint of a well-executed football play, it's 'AJ to TJ'.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
IMO one of the greatest plays is one that never gets talked about because it gets over-shadowed 2 plays later. Watch the video (already posted) of the Goal Line Stand against Penn State. Two plays prior to that famous play, Don McNeal makes an incredible stop that sets up the Goal Line Stand. The Penn State player would have scored a touchdown against most any other team, and most any other player. A play that deserves more attention than it historically gets.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
0:45 That hop down the sideline helped show Florida that this was a hungrier team than the 2008 SEC Championship team.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
IMO one of the greatest plays is one that never gets talked about because it gets over-shadowed 2 plays later. Watch the video (already posted) of the Goal Line Stand against Penn State. Two plays prior to that famous play, Don McNeal makes an incredible stop that sets up the Goal Line Stand. The Penn State player would have scored a touchdown against most any other team, and most any other player. A play that deserves more attention than it historically gets.
True. In similar vein, Shula to Greg Richardson to set up "The Kick" was as great or greater play than the kick itself. If he doesn't get out of bounds that kick never happens.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
This has got to be one of my favorite Bama moments. Roy is one of my all time favorites, and this was as important a single play in the 2009 championship as any. "Cody 5" :)

I've heard McElroy talk about hearing the play call and knowing it was all on him to make the perfect pass. He put on right on the money, and Upchurch walked in to take the lead. Awesome!

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Rocky Stop was the loudest I've personally ever heard BDS - the the north EZ was essentially closed as they were adding the NUD at the time...
I was there too, and I agree. It was my son's first live Bama game, and he was 6 years old. After the "stop" and we got that first 1st down on the long bomb to DJ Hall, he looked at me and said "I gotta pee". I thought my head was gonna explode. I did the good dad thing and took him, and fortunately we made it back to our seats in time to see Darby's run and the kick to win it. When that kick went through, the crowd was like an ocean - everyone jumping around, high fiving everyone in sight, everyone bumping into each other. I thought the little man was gonna get trampled.

What a memory...

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
This gets my vote. The only time I ever remember celebrating a Tie as if it were a Win.
The Deuce for 2:

EDIT: Bah you have to view it ON Youtube.....go to the 2:34:00 timestamp for the play.
Deuce highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwcxKluHNGc

He had a great run against Auburn where he weaved through most of the defense on a run and got to the goal line (starts at 1:19).

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American
Some will remembers this, 1964 we're #2 in the country, Thanksgiving Day, Auburn playing us tough, we are behind 7-6 at beginning of 2nd half.
Naturally Coach Bryant deferred the kickoff, Ray Ogden catches the kick 7 yards deep in end zone and runs it right down the middle for a 107 yard TD.
First time game is televised live on National TV. We win 21-14. The following Saturday USC beats ND 20-17, we win National Championship.
Just another memorable gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjv6mGpirs

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Some will remembers this, 1964 we're #2 in the country, Thanksgiving Day, Auburn playing us tough, we are behind 7-6 at beginning of 2nd half.
Naturally Coach Bryant deferred the kickoff, Ray Ogden catches the kick 7 yards deep in end zone and runs it right down the middle for a 107 yard TD.
First time game is televised live on National TV. We win 21-14. The following Saturday USC beats ND 20-17, we win National Championship.
Just another memorable gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjv6mGpirs
Brilliant, thanks for posting.

That era is a complete black hole for me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.