Your choice for the greatest play?

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
I have been using a couple of days annual leave to become more familiar with significant games from Bama's recent and slightly less recent past on YouTube.

As soon as I type 1993 Sugar Bowl I think many of you will already be saying George Teague's name and remembering his unbelievable run down and stripping of Miami's Lamar Thomas.

I rewound and watched the play 4 times and still said wow each time. Bama being offside robbed George of the turnover, but had he not run out that play and stripped the ball then Miami would have turned the field at the very least at a time when the game was still in the balance.

In the short time I've been watching college ball it is without doubt the greatest single play on either side of the ball I have seen.

What's yours?

(Yes of course I'm going to go searching for them [emoji2] )

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The interception in the Miami game, the PSU goal line stand and the 2 special teams plays in the second half against Clemson get my votes because they occurred in NC games.

The Cody FG block against TN in 2009 had me running around my office screaming (was working).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have been using a couple of days annual leave to become more familiar with significant games from Bama's recent and slightly less recent past on YouTube.

As soon as I type 1993 Sugar Bowl I think many of you will already be saying George Teague's name and remembering his unbelievable run down and stripping of Miami's Lamar Thomas.

I rewound and watched the play 4 times and still said wow each time. Bama being offside robbed George of the turnover, but had he not run out that play and stripped the ball then Miami would have turned the field at the very least at a time when the game was still in the balance.

In the short time I've been watching college ball it is without doubt the greatest single play on either side of the ball I have seen.

What's yours?

(Yes of course I'm going to go searching for them [emoji2] )

Watch this. If you don't know the story......it's the 2009 Alabama-Tennessee game. Lane Kiffin is the Vols head coach and Alabama is undefeated. In the final three minutes, eight weeks worth of games shows a tiring team leading only 12-10. Earlier in the quarter, Terrance Cody had blocked a field goal. A kick ends the Alabama dream and - in all probability - we don't get the benefit of the doubt in later years.

The sheer emotion of the reaction when Cody blocks the kick is unlike anything I've ever seen anywhere. I lost it at work, and I'm usually controlled in front of other people. I screamed loudly and scared all my co-workers. You can let it play and it will load the final play on the broadcast.

It was unreal. But it wasn't the most memorable play.

Utter madness in the stadium from a sideline view.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
One of my favorite endings/drives is from the 2012 Alabama/LSU game. It includes the famous "make a man miss" screen pass to Yeldon for the win.

This video has the LSU drive before ours, if you want to see where we get the ball to win..skip to about the 12 minute mark.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
Don't know if we're going back this far, but the Tiffin FG in the 1985 Iron Bowl is hard to beat. Gives me chills every time I see it.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013

Watch this. If you don't know the story......it's the 2009 Alabama-Tennessee game. Lane Kiffin is the Vols head coach and Alabama is undefeated. In the final three minutes, eight weeks worth of games shows a tiring team leading only 12-10. Earlier in the quarter, Terrance Cody had blocked a field goal. A kick ends the Alabama dream and - in all probability - we don't get the benefit of the doubt in later years.

The sheer emotion of the reaction when Cody blocks the kick is unlike anything I've ever seen anywhere. I lost it at work, and I'm usually controlled in front of other people. I screamed loudly and scared all my co-workers. You can let it play and it will load the final play on the broadcast.

It was unreal. But it wasn't the most memorable play.

Utter madness in the stadium from a sideline view.
What a video that is Selma, wow.

I will watch that full game tomorrow but the mobile footage from on the field is fantastic.

What a noise.

Last edited:

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
George Teague all day! I will NEVER forget watching that play live. Kick returns, FGs, heck even goal line stands are more common plays. How many times have you seen a man run down another man at full speed, take the ball out of his hands, and to have the presence of mind to turn around and run the other way?! Teague all the way! RTR!

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Shocked that Antonio Langham jumping the route on Shane Matthews for the Pick 6 and SEC Championship in 1992 hasn't been listed already!!?

Can't find a video of just the play itself in real time but here is the postgame interview with Langham followed by replay's of the play from different angles. His quote describing the play is GOLD too. " We wuz in a zone coverage, I read...I read his release, He made his throw, I made the break....Touchdown"...!!!! Hahahahaha. Love #43

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Shocked that Antonio Langham jumping the route on Shane Matthews for the Pick 6 and SEC Championship in 1992 hasn't been listed already!!?

Can't find a video of just the play itself in real time but here is the postgame interview with Langham followed by replay's of the play from different angles. His quote describing the play is GOLD too. " We wuz in a zone coverage, I read...I read his release, He made his throw, I made the break....Touchdown"...!!!! Hahahahaha. Love #43
That game is my 1st planned watch tomorrow (it's 02.30 here [emoji23] )

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My favorite is the Barry Kraus goal line stand because I was at the game.

The catch by Tyrone Prothro deserves a spot in this thread.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
My favorite is the Barry Kraus goal line stand because I was at the game.

The catch by Tyrone Prothro deserves a spot in this thread.

We met Barry Kraus at the Galleria in Hoover...years ago. There was no one in line, so while we were getting a picture of that goal line stand autographed...we had a great conversation with him about that play. He talked about it like it just happened the day before. It was great!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Prothro's "Catch" against Southern Miss gets my vote cause it's still the best catch I've seen in person..It's still fun watching Prothro's "Catch"..

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I gotta say RWBTide is one of my most appreciated posters on this board. There's something really cool about being "present" while someone from another place where college football isn't "king" discovers not only college football, but ALABAMA football! RWBTide, you're the best!

Reliving these highlights gives me chill bumps, so thanks RWBTide. I think I've got a man crush. :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.