SOUTHERN CAL JOE McKNIGHT KILLED

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Saw him absolutely eviscerate a very good Hoover team years ago when he was at John Curtis. Best HS player I ever had the chance to see. Such a senseless death.
We were there too and I agree, best I ever seen in person. He straight up torched a good Hoover team that year. We had some JC folks sitting near us that had on so many rings he couldn't make his fingers touch each other.

This is why I never care to go to NOLA.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
McKnight was shot three times. The sheriff is getting all indignant that people are questioning why no charges were filed. If the shooter was in fear of his life, it looks like the first two, non-fatal shots would have ended the threat.
Self-defense? Sure it was.

NoRelation

Sep 30, 2015
Calgary AB
Sad news. Joe had a short but promising sting with Saskatchewan Roughriders in the CFL, in my hometown of Regina.

He is unfortunately the second CFL player murdered by gunfire this season. Former Michigan State player and Calgary Stampeder Mylan Hicks was killed outside a Calgary nightclub earlier this season.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Hated seeing this. He's one of the best HS athletes I've ever seen. His Senior year he averaged like 25 yards per touch, or something ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
This news is so awful to hear. I grew up a few miles from the intersection where it happened and passed it all the time driving to/from high school. This could have happened anywhere in the country. New Orleans has more than its share of crime issues, but this "road rage" incident has nothing to do with the city, unlike the shooting on Bourbon Street last weekend.

Never saw Joe play in person, but I remember being upset when he picked USC over LSU on National signing day. Despite that, I always root for locals to have success, especially at the pro level.

dpainter68

Aug 18, 2011
McKnight was shot three times. The sheriff is getting all indignant that people are questioning why no charges were filed. If the shooter was in fear of his life, it looks like the first two, non-fatal shots would have ended the threat.
Self-defense? Sure it was.
First of all, I'm not defending the shooter because I don't know what happened. But just like with the police shootings, we need to wait until all the facts come out before passing judgement. The first article I read about this said a witness said he was standing over him when he shot him. The article this morning on ESPN said all the casings were inside his car. In other words, someone lied and we can't believe everything we read. Also, there's no way of knowing which shot was the fatal shot. You don't shoot once and see if the threat stops, then shoot again and wait and see, etc. Standard training protocol is 2-3 shots center mass. I will wait until all the facts come out before I pass any judgement.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
First of all, I'm not defending the shooter because I don't know what happened. But just like with the police shootings, we need to wait until all the facts come out before passing judgement. The first article I read about this said a witness said he was standing over him when he shot him. The article this morning on ESPN said all the casings were inside his car. In other words, someone lied and we can't believe everything we read. Also, there's no way of knowing which shot was the fatal shot. You don't shoot once and see if the threat stops, then shoot again and wait and see, etc. Standard training protocol is 2-3 shots center mass. I will wait until all the facts come out before I pass any judgement.
You say you're not defending the shooter then you go on to defend the shooter. If you think it is appropriate to sit in your car and gun a man standing next to it down we simply disagree. And when you start up with "standard protocol" is two or three shots center mass...good grief. The shooter should have been held in custody until cleared. Not the other way around, in my humble opinion.

dpainter68

Aug 18, 2011
You say you're not defending the shooter then you go on to defend the shooter. If you think it is appropriate to sit in your car and gun a man standing next to it down we simply disagree. And when you start up with "standard protocol" is two or three shots center mass...good grief. The shooter should have been held in custody until cleared. Not the other way around, in my humble opinion.
I'm not defending the shooter. I'm defending the right to self defense and the process that follows. My point was not to base an opinion on the initial articles and wait for the investigation to be done and all the witnesses statements to know what really happened. If the shooter was in the wrong, it will most likely come out and he will be charged. Since this is the FB board, I'll leave it at that.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Well obviously the witness lied. All the casings were in the car. So he wasn't standing over him shooting. He was sitting in the car and McKnight was obviously the one approached the car. We don't know what happened. The fact that no charges have been filed tells there is more to the story.

Not saying this is what happened, but if someone chases my car around road raging and tried to pull me out of my car I'm going to shoot them.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
When I read the initial article, I knew there had to be more to the story. For one thing, when I read the "shooter" remained at the scene until the Police arrived, and peacefully turned over his weapon, I'm figuring this person has been through a handgun safety course. As far as the "Standard Protocol" is concerned, my courses (Basic, Level 2, and advanced) were taken at RangeMaster in Memphis. My instructor, of the MPD, instilled in us the two center mass, then the "Failure to Stop" method of "One to the head". And that will be the method I will use (Please God, never let me have to do that) to protect myself, or my family. So far, everything that has been done, by the shooter, and the authorities, is panning out exactly how it was laid out to the students in those classes. I'll wait and let the investigation run it's course. But at this point, my instinct tells me the initial report is bogus.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

If that's what happened, I don't think there's a person here who disagrees with you.

But IS that what happened?

There is apparently evidence to suggest that's not accurate.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
Yeah, we need to wait for the facts, but my initial question based on the official statement and the photo of him waiting at the scene is why didn't he just drive off. If McKnight was standing outside of his car he could have just left him standing there. One would think that if McKnight was assaulting the guy, that would have been included in the statement. Hopefully they will shed more light on this in the very near future. Either way, it's a tragic situation.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
Well obviously the witness lied. All the casings were in the car. So he wasn't standing over him shooting. He was sitting in the car and McKnight was obviously the one approached the car. We don't know what happened. The fact that no charges have been filed tells there is more to the story.

Not saying this is what happened, but if someone chases my car around road raging and tried to pull me out of my car I'm going to shoot them.
This is assuming that McKnight was chasing him. It could have been the other way around. Gun in my possession or not, if someone chases me during a road rage incident, I'm not going to sit in my car with the window down to engage in a conversation/argument. If I am afraid for my life I probably would drive straight to a police station or keep driving until I could flag down a cop. I just don't want the mentality to become - I will argue with anyone at any time and if at any point I think they might beat me up (whether they touch me or not), I'll just shoot them and say I was afraid for my life.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
i don't care who was chasing who. If you get out of your car during a road rage incident and approach someones car window, there is a short list of outcomes. Most of them are bad.

Like I said nobody knows what exactly happened. People shouldn't be up in arms because no charges have been filed. Obviously there are other facts out there not being reported.

dpainter68

Aug 18, 2011
Yeah, we need to wait for the facts, but my initial question based on the official statement and the photo of him waiting at the scene is why didn't he just drive off. If McKnight was standing outside of his car he could have just left him standing there. One would think that if McKnight was assaulting the guy, that would have been included in the statement. Hopefully they will shed more light on this in the very near future. Either way, it's a tragic situation.
Yes, it is certainly a tragic situation. If it could have been avoided by driving off then that's what the guy should have done, although I don't know if they have a 'stand your ground' law there or not. I haven't looked at any pictures on the article to know what the intersection was like or if there was a car in front of him that would have been in the way, etc. It doesn't bode well for him that he was apparently involved in another road rage incident in the past. The investigation may lead to charges being filed before it's all said and done.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm not taking sides or defending anyone until I know more.

But for the sake of discussion - if someone was *threatening your wife and she shot that person 3 times in self defense.....would you feel the same way about her right now that you do with this shooter?

*I'm not saying this is what happened...(but it could have)...we simply don't know.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.