SOUTHERN CAL JOE McKNIGHT KILLED

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
You say you're not defending the shooter then you go on to defend the shooter. If you think it is appropriate to sit in your car and gun a man standing next to it down we simply disagree. And when you start up with "standard protocol" is two or three shots center mass...good grief. The shooter should have been held in custody until cleared. Not the other way around, in my humble opinion.
Chukker - let's see what comes of the investigation. I've been horrible at jumping to conclusions only having to eat my words later. (Yeah, DBF, the voice of reason...the world really is coming to an end. ;) )

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
http://www.wwltv.com/news/jpso-gasser-was-previously-cited-for-road-rage-incident/362247395

Looks like he was charged but the charges were dropped of him committing road rage in the past.

TERRYTOWN, La. -- Ronald Gasser was issued a summons 10 years ago after beating a man at a gas station near the same spot where he shot Joe McKnight on Thursday.
According to information released Friday evening by the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office, Gasser was involved in an incident on Feb. 20, 2006, around 3:30 p.m. that began on Holiday Drive in New Orleans and ended in the service station at the intersection of Holmes Boulevard and Berhman Highway in Terrytown.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If that's what happened, I don't think there's a person here who disagrees with you.

But IS that what happened?
Yes, I seem to have described what they are now reporting did happen. It's odd I could dig through the reporting at the time to get the facts while others had trouble doing the same thing.

When I made my post, I had read that McKnight was standing next to the killer's car. And that three casing from the fired weapon were found inside the killer's car. That strongly suggested the killer gunned McKnight down when he was standing next to the killer's car.

Now there are stories out about how the killer seemed to be trolling for fights regarding his driving habits. I think it is awful the sheriff let the killer go home after the shooting. I hope the killer has to serve time.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Yes, I seem to have described what they are now reporting did happen. It's odd I could dig through the reporting at the time to get the facts while others had trouble doing the same thing.

When I made my post, I had read that McKnight was standing next to the killer's car. And that three casing from the fired weapon were found inside the killer's car. That strongly suggested the killer gunned McKnight down when he was standing next to the killer's car.

Now there are stories out about how the killer seemed to be trolling for fights regarding his driving habits. I think it is awful the sheriff let the killer go home after the shooting. I hope the killer has to serve time.

Are you saying McKnight got out of his vehicle....and approached the shooter's vehicle?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Are you saying McKnight got out of his vehicle....and approached the shooter's vehicle?
Yeah, I think that's what is now being thought as what happened. McKnight approached the shooter's vehicle and the guy shot McKnight from inside his car. Considering the shooter's record/history I would say he was probably unjustified in shooting McKnight. Because I've read where McKnight was actually trying to deescalate the situation.

BUT, by law there is a subjective area in that if a person feels like their life is in danger and being inside the car is considered an extension of one's home. Shooting someone from inside one's car is justifiable. But considering this cat's record. I would lean the other way on it and say he was unjustified in shooting McKnight.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Yup...charged with manslaughter....and the DA says that charge could go up or down depending on further investigation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hts-alleged-killer-charged-with-manslaughter/

Normand described what happened Thursday afternoon: Gasser and McKnight had engaged in a lengthy back and forth for several blocks, one that may have begun when McKnight, driving his stepfather’s truck, cut off Gasser. The two engaged in a “verbal altercation” as they drove and eventually came to a red light. With Gasser’s car boxed in by traffic, McKnight exited the truck and approached Gasser’s vehicle. Normand did not say whether McKnight tried to open the door, but indicated that McKnight leaned down to talk to Gasser “eye to eye.” At some point, Gasser pulled a gun from the console and shot McKnight three times. McKnight was unarmed, although there was a gun in the truck.

“Let us not try to make this out to be something that it is not,” Normand said. “What we had were two adult males engaged in unacceptable behavior.”

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
He's charged with manslaughter. I think one element of that charge is that there wasn't an intent to kill.
But then I read back thru this thread, and poster after poster seemed to think 2 or 3 shots to the center of the body mass is the best way to stop an attacker. Or, in other words, the best way to kill. With three shots fired, I'm at a loss as to how someone would think he did not intend to kill the person he shot.

Last edited:

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
He's charged with manslaughter. I think one element of that charge is that there wasn't an intent to kill.
But then I read back thru this thread, and poster after poster seemed to think 2 or 3 shots to the center of the body mass is the best way to stop an attacker. Or, in other words, the best way to kill. With three shots fired, I'm at a loss as to how someone would think he did not intend to kill the person he shot.

Maybe it was two poorly aimed warning shots first and then he accidentally shot him the third time?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Exiting the vehicle is threatening behavior, not de-escalation.
I believe I would probably acquit, if I believed Normand's account to be factual.

dpainter68

Aug 18, 2011
Exiting the vehicle is threatening behavior, not de-escalation.
I believe I would probably acquit, if I believed Normand's account to be factual.
I would agree that exiting of the vehicle would be perceived as threatening behavior. I don't know if Gasser escalated the situation at some point or not. If it can be proven he didn't, he probably will be acquitted. I believe any "reasonable person" would feel threatened IF that's the case.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Gotta factor in Gasser's vehicle was boxed in and he couldn't get away.....then the other driver gets out and approaches his vehicle.

You'd have to have video (and ideally audio or a transcript) to see and hear what went down to really give an educated opinion of how to assign blame percentage-wise.

I do agree with the Sheriff that BOTH drivers were guilty of terrible judgement.

dpainter68

Aug 18, 2011
In most states they go by the reasonable man doctrine. If a reasonable person would feel that their life is at risk then they have the right to use deadly force to protect themselves. The attacker would have to have the opportunity, intent, and the means. In this situation, he had the opportunity (standing next to him). IF McKnight threatened Gasser, then he had the intent. The means is where it could get tricky if he wasn't armed (I read that he did have a gun in his vehicle - if he said I have a gun then Gasser could assume he meant on him - I'm just speculating here). One other possibility is if he felt that just the age/size/strength difference was enough to threaten his life or cause grave bodily harm. This would be called disparity of force.

As far as how many shots are fired I would recommmend looking into some police shooting videos and see how many rounds the human body can absorb and still function. YouTube is full of them. You would be amazed at how many shots the body can absorb and continue to fight. Regarding you other comment "the best way to kill"... you never shoot to kill. You shoot to stop the threat. There's a HUGE difference there. Once again, watch some videos.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Thanks but I will pass on watching police shooting videos.

I'm guessing he shot him thru the open passenger window. If the window had of been up, the glass would have been messed up, and it would also have made obvious the shots came from inside the car. But they made that determination after finding the three casings.

I bet even the shooter would now agree that even if his car was boxed in, rather than engage McKnight through the open window, he should have rolled up the window, locked the door, and then used his gun only after McKnight did something besides getting out of his car and walking towards him. McKnight would have had to have been able to open the passenger door or have extremely long arms to get at the shooter from where he was standing.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
In most states they go by the reasonable man doctrine. If a reasonable person would feel that their life is at risk then they have the right to use deadly force to protect themselves. The attacker would have to have the opportunity, intent, and the means. In this situation, he had the opportunity (standing next to him). IF McKnight threatened Gasser, then he had the intent. The means is where it could get tricky if he wasn't armed (I read that he did have a gun in his vehicle - if he said I have a gun then Gasser could assume he meant on him - I'm just speculating here). One other possibility is if he felt that just the age/size/strength difference was enough to threaten his life or cause grave bodily harm. This would be called disparity of force.

As far as how many shots are fired I would recommmend looking into some police shooting videos and see how many rounds the human body can absorb and still function. YouTube is full of them. You would be amazed at how many shots the body can absorb and continue to fight. Regarding you other comment "the best way to kill"... you never shoot to kill. You shoot to stop the threat. There's a HUGE difference there. Once again, watch some videos.
I agree with most of your post, but disagree with the last. When danger approaches, whether it be man or animal, and if you must shoot, you always shoot to kill. That is the only way you can be certain the threat îs stopped.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.