2010 and 'Bama Privilege'

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Thanks to recommendations from other threads I've been working my way through full game reruns of old games.

Today I've watched 2 from this year, the Florida game and the bowl game against the Spartans.

In both games the team looked as good, if not better, than the teams from the preceeding and following 2 yrs.

It was noted during the Florida game that all of Bama's remaining SEC games would be against teams who had a rest week directly before playing us.

Looking at the 3 losses suffered, with the possible exception of South Carolina (?), it certainly looks like the additional preparation and/or rest time for our opponents could have had a hugely significant impact on our chances of winning what would have turned out to be the 2nd of a historic 4 in row.

Was this an unprecedented scheduling anomaly or was it a regular occurrence prior to 2010?

Did it have a crippling impact on our chances of the national championship that year or where there other reasons for the teams failure to win the BCS that year?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
Someone else can fill in more details. The 2010 schedule was set in place almost ten years before. From what I remember a TN homer at the SEC office setup our team to have more opponents with bye weeks before our games than any other team. 2010 was especially bad. That person was gone in the mid-2000s but the schedules were already in place. This isn't as much of a problem any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I remember a graphic someone on here posted here during the early Saban years, in which someone had calculated how many opponents had a bye before playing various SEC teams over the previous few years.
Alabama was something like 20.
The next highest number was LSU with 7.
The imbalance is stark.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Was this an unprecedented scheduling anomaly or was it a regular occurrence prior to 2010?
It was an unprecedented scheduling anomaly, and it will never be permitted to happen again. After that debacle, a new rule was passed saying that no team would have to face more than THREE opponents who had a bye week. There was a lot of hand-wringing at the time and Mal Moore sought some schedule relief......but nobody in the SEC wanted to help Alabama.

One issue of great interest to study is the Tennessee-Alabama game. It was traditionally (forever) played on "The Third Saturday in October." During the 1970s, Coach Bryant thumped Tennessee every single year from 1971 to 1981. It cost their head coach, Bill Battle (a former Tide player who is currently our AD), his job. We kept beating them and kept beating them. From 1971-1994, a period of 24 games, we had a 19-4-1 record against the Vols. The teams played consecutive weeks. The Vols got an off week in 1987, 1988, and 1989 and went 0-3.

Interesting stat: from October 15, 1988 to October 11, 1991, Tennessee had a record of 35-4-2, with two SEC championships. THREE of their four losses were.....to Alabama (the other was to #1 Notre Dame in 1990).

As I said, Alabama owned them for nearly 25 years non-stop. In 1995, Peyton Manning led the Vols to their first win over us in ten years and their first blowout win over us since 1970.

But then things REALLY began to change......see if you notice anything.....

1996 UT 20 Bama 13 (UT has bye week before the game)
1997 UT 38 Bama 21 (Bama has a bye week)
1998 UT 35 Bama 18 (UT has bye week)
1999 UT 21 Bama 7 (UT bye week while Bama slugs it out with good Ole Miss team)
2000 UT 20 Bama 10 (UT bye week, Bama vs Ole Miss)
2001 UT 35 Bama 24 (UT bye week, Bama vs Ole Miss)
2002 Bama 34 UT 14 (UT bye week, Bama vs Ole Miss)
2003 UT 51 Bama 43 (UT bye week, Bama vs Ole Miss)
2004 UT 17 Bama 13 (UT vs Ole Miss, Bama vs USM)
2005 Bama 6 UT 3 (UT bye week, Bama vs Ole Miss)
2006 UT 16 Bama 13 (UT bye week, Bama vs Ole Miss)

Vols go 9-2 in an 11-year span where they have ten bye weeks. While there were other reasons, we drew a game against a decent Ole Miss team most of those years. Ironically, the year Ole Miss was no good.....2004.....UT drew them.

Then Saban showed up.

2007 Bama 41 UT 17 (UT vs MSU, Bama vs Ole Miss)

Note that just as soon as: a) Saban shows up but with Shula's players; and b) UT ALSO has to play a game.....the Vols can't beat us.

2008 Alabama 29 UT 9 (UT vs MSU, Bama vs Ole Miss)
2009 Alabama 12 UT 10 (UT bye week, Bama vs South Carolina in a slugfest fight that came down to the end)
2010 Bama 41 Vols 10 (UT bye week, Bama vs Ole Miss)
2011 Bama 37 Vols 6 (UT vs LSU, Bama vs Ole Miss)
2012 Bama 44 Vols 13 (UT vs MSU, Bama vs Mizzou)
2013 Bama 45 Vols 10 (UT vs S Carolina, Bama vs Arky)
2014 Bama 34 Vols 20 (UT vs Ole Miss, Bama vs ATM)
2015 Bama 19 Vols 14 (UT bye week, Bama vs ATM)
2016 Bama 49 Vols 10 (UT vs ATM, Bama vs Arky)

ANYBODY NOTICE SOMETHING??????

When the Vols DON'T have an off week.....they either can't beat us or barely beat us OR they play it close. Give them AND us a game......well, look at the scores. Of course, there's more to it than that. They had us beat in coaching when it was Fulmer vs DuBose, and they're beat no matter who faces Saban. But the thing is that Saban blew out the Vols with Shula's players when it was even Steven.

Note that LSU began insisting on an off week in 2007.....right as their former coach arrived here.

Did it have a crippling impact on our chances of the national championship that year or where there other reasons for the teams failure to win the BCS that year?
That would have been a tall order anyway. It was an immensely talented team but they never fully jelled that year. If you go watch the Auburn game.....oh my goodness, heartburn. We could have had them down 42-0 at the half, but it was only 24-0 in the second quarter. Bad breaks happened, stupid mistakes, and the schedule didn't help. Right after we mauled Forida, ESPN began saying they'd never seen any team like this. S Carolina caught lightning in a bottle.

But go back and look at the Arkansas game, for example. We beat them on talent alone. But LSU and Auburn had equal talent to us or at least close enough that the failure to fully gel together, the off weeks, and the opposing team's talent added up to three losses.

I honestly don't think we would have won the national title even without the scheduling debacle. However, we might have been able to prevent Auburn from winning it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That's an incredibly detailed reply, thank you.

I guess I have enough reasons to hate orange too now.

If you've not been explained why, this will give you all you need to know:

The Crimson Hide

Long story short: Tennessee knew once we were off probation (1995-97) that their days of beating us were over, so their coach conspired with the SEC President (an old chum) to torpedo our program and cost us the years of 2001-2007. It wasn't until 2012 we were playing without the spectre of the NCAA looking over us.

Hmm.....that's about the time a dynasty took off, too........

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
There were other factors going on besides just the schedule difficulty. There were some complacency and ego issues on that team. It started imo with the ESPN crew following them around during that summer camp. Plus Ingram had knee surgery literally days before the season started and just wasn't the same as his 2008-09 self. If I remember right Trent was also nursing some ankle issues and Lacy was still dealing with Turf Toe.

So all our main RB's had issues keeping them from being 100%....or even 80-90%. As a result we only averaged 182.9 rushing ypg that season which was down from 215.1 ypg the year before. Our passing went from 188 ypg to 261ypg. The identity of the offense flipped a bit. We couldn't 'out physical' our opponents on the ground that year and had to resort to throwing to Julio. The schedule didn't help but yeah there were other factors.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
2010 was arguably the most talented team Saban has had here...at least with the contributors. We may have a deeper full 85 today, but that top 40 was something else.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Yes, that's the badger. Bama 17, next closest competitor (LSU) 5.
Where the heck was the AD when that travesty was happening?
I suspect...

Dignified silence, Bama doesn't bleat, Bama overcomes.

Do you appreciate just much the winning with class aspect comes across from the program and more importantly the fans?

Probably the reason my allegiance changed part way through watching my first iron bowl, to be on the side that lost.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I suspect...

Dignified silence, Bama doesn't bleat, Bama overcomes.

Do you appreciate just much the winning with class aspect comes across from the program and more importantly the fans?

Probably the reason my allegiance changed part way through watching my first iron bowl, to be on the side that lost.
I don't mind Bama playing more opponents coming off a bye (that comes with the territory), but 3½ times as many is excessive.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Taken with this it would be interesting to see who had the lowest opponent penalty %. I believe we are 128 out of 128 this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Agree completely it was the first thing that jumped out at me. It actually defied belief. I assumed it was a mistake or I'd misheard at first.

In addition to the scheduling travesty, which might have been overcome by talent alone, that team was a team of individual, and not all of whom who might have been expected to be the leaders, actually had bought into Saban's mantra of "process" and team first. One probably ruined his NFL prospects and another said "We were just too much into ourselves." It was a rude wake up after 2009, when we thought those problems had already been worked through...

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
In addition to the scheduling travesty, which might have been overcome by talent alone, that team was a team of individual, and not all of whom who might have been expected to be the leaders, actually had bought into Saban's mantra of "process" and team first. One probably ruined his NFL prospects and another said "We were just too much into ourselves." It was a rude wake up after 2009, when we thought those problems had already been worked through...
Can you elaborate on the players Erroll?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Can you elaborate on the players Erroll?

I won't go into details but D.J. Hall later said that he wished he had waked up earlier and bought into the Saban process. I don't know if it damaged his NFL prospects, because he did catch on with the Giants for a while, but that's what he said. And there were others playing for "#1". BTW, it's really "Earle." :) According to "howmanyofme.com," I'm the only "Earle Self" left in the US...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.