Game Thread: Pac 12 Championship

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
What would a "far" deviation be?

I mean, they're not putting 4-8 Notre Dame in the playoff, no. A team could be six in one poll and four in the other - and it's all the difference in the world which one they're in.
IMO maybe 1 position of wiggle room? I think moving UM from 5 to 4 over Washington and they would be okay, but I don't see how they can move PSU up that far unless the AP and coaches move them ahead of UM with a blow out win first. What do you think?

A team could be six in one poll and four in the other - and it's all the difference in the world which one they're in.
They aren't right now though. Only difference is Wisky an UM are flipped in the 2.

My gut tells me that Washington just beat a top 10 team by 31 and there is no way they can move Washington out of the top 4 now.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
IMO maybe 1 position of wiggle room? I think moving UM from 5 to 4 over Washington and they would be okay, but I don't see how they can move PSU up that far unless the AP and coaches move them ahead of UM with a blow out win first. What do you think?

They aren't right now though. Only difference is Wisky an UM are flipped in the 2.

My gut tells me that Washington just beat a top 10 team by 31 and there is no way they can move Washington out of the top 4 now.
I think they'll go with Washington at this point. Unlike Michigan, they actually had a game this weekend.

I personally - and I think most fans feel this way - don't care that Ohio State didn't win the Big Ten. The beef everyone has is, "You spent this time telling us conference championships mattered right up until they didn't." I don't personally think they SHOULD matter because: a) not all conference are created equal; b) divisional set-ups encourage a situation where the two best teams don't meet in the championship game anyway; c) conference championships set up a situation where a four-loss team that loses all its OOC games can win the conference just by winning those games (insert 1983 UCLA Bruins examples here).

They dropped TCU from 3 to 6 - that was my bigger beef. You drop a team that won its last game, 55-3. (They never should have been ranked ahead of Baylor in the first place if you were going to drop them later).

I suspect Washington is in, and the committee now roots for Va Tech.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Remember - it was the Jim Delanys and Larry Scotts of the world who insisted on a conference champion. That's why I find it pathetic Delaney's conference is going to benefit from a rule that shouldn't exist anyway.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Remember - it was the Jim Delanys and Larry Scotts of the world who insisted on a conference champion. That's why I find it pathetic Delaney's conference is going to benefit from a rule that shouldn't exist anyway.
Agreed. Delany is a hypocrite. It doesn't take on google to find old Delany quotes talking about Championships.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So how did I do....

I'm not totally convinced that Clemson over Va Tech is the slam dunk a lot of folks are assuming....

Last night's Washington-CU game turned out exactly like I thought it would.
1-0 (I did tell my Husky buddy it would be a UW blowout btw)

So that I'm not accused of making it up after the fact:

1) I expect Alabama to score 27-34 points and Florida to score 3-11 points (so pick a score in that range)
Close enough. I put an unquestioned Alabama win with a range of 16-23 points, and we won by 38 (meaning I'd have won ANY bet if I'd made one)
2) I expect Wisky will beat Penn State narrowly.
Well, it was going that way and then......

3) Clemson-VT will be closer than expected by the betting line
The spread was ten and Clemson won but only by seven, so I'd win again.

3-1, not bad. (Of course, like everyone I've had awesome weeks and terrible weeks).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.