Thank God for modern spinal surgery...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Got my wife back home today after spinal fusion with a couple of stabilizing rods. She's in discomfort but the Percocet is keeping her nauseated, so we'll probably downshift to hydrocodone tomorrow. Anyway, she's in one piece, more or less, and the sciatic pain radiating down her left rear into her foot is gone, after years. A huge shoutout to Dr. Curt Freudenberger...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Amen. My mother has had several fusions. She recently had an ablation done for her si joint. It seems to be helping so far, even though it takes two weeks or so to get moderate relief.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your wife.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Glad to hear it! As someone who has back issues I hope things work out in her favor. I'm sure she'll be down for a while. Take care of her!

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk
Doing that already. The nurses and other caregivers are gone and it's down to me. They upped her painkillers, I guess because they anticipated more pain coming home, and she's been sick as a dog ever since, worse than in the hospital. Of course, this interferes with her walking and other activity she needs. Tomorrow, we'll try to step down the analgesics and see if that helps...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Doing that already. The nurses and other caregivers are gone and it's down to me. They upped her painkillers, I guess because they anticipated more pain coming home, and she's been sick as a dog ever since, worse than in the hospital. Of course, this interferes with her walking and other activity she needs. Tomorrow, we'll try to step down the analgesics and see if that helps...
Oxy made me sick as a dog and compazine made it worse. Norco or dilaudid with zofran did fine until I could rely mainly on tylenol. You know as well as anyone how important activity is. Keep up the good work.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oxy made me sick as a dog and compazine made it worse. Norco or dilaudid with zofran did fine until I could rely mainly on tylenol. You know as well as anyone how important activity is. Keep up the good work.
They gave her the the dilaudid only for about 1.5 days. Last dose tonight, I gave her the hydrocodone, no Zofran or other anti-nausea agent. The Oxy was the problem. I'd dozed off but I just went out and dug out a CampRest pad for the floor. I'll probably sweat with a too-heavy bag, but I'm too tired to dig for another. Maybe tomorrow...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Hope she has a good day today so you can enjoy the game and that her health continues to improve going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
She's doing much better on the hydrocodone, although she's taking .4 mg Zofran with each dose. She's always gotten nauseated easily. She sat up all morning and has gone back to bed for a nap now. Just took 1.5 Norco tabs (5-325), pretty light for the surgery she's been through. The incision is a good 6" long. I was surprised. He indicated that the S1 root was "pretty tight," but that he was pleased with the result (as she has been). Unlike a lot of surgeons, he loves going into great detail and I'll be better prepared when we visit on Wed. He came to medicine late. He was a self-described California surfer bum as a young man. Also has quite a sense of humor, which is something else you don't always find in a surgeon...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hope she has a good day today so you can enjoy the game and that her health continues to improve going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I'll be able to watch a lot, but, as always, she comes first. Brad has primary responsibility for the game thread today. I don't feel too badly for having slept on the floor. Of course, I have the equipment to make it halfway comfortable. One thing I was happy about was my pressing to buy a Roomba. She's not been able to lift enough to vacuum and I'm, at best, indifferent at it, but the Roomba did quite a job on the oriental rug or I'm sure I'd have been totally stopped up this AM...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
That is great news! Praying for her continued recovery and that the two of you get to be more mobile in the future.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
So glad to hear she is doing well.

I happen to be having L4-L5 fusion, myself, tomorrow morning.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.