Question: What Options Do You Use To Watch College Football (Cutting The Cord Question)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
(Preface: I am NOT asking for anything illegal here so don't even propose it).

I'm about to reach that time of year again. I (almost literally) do not watch any television at all between the football seasons. And I'm getting a little tired of ESPN subscription, but I want to see the games (again - LEGALLY). A friend of mine says he's using Roku but it requires a net connection.

So my question is: what options do you use to watch college football that may cost me less? Presently, I have a bundle package from Frontier (it was Verizon but that's a long story) that has my home Internet and TV channels at about $140 a month.

Anyone with any LEGAL (I again emphasize) means of watching CFB that will cost me much less? (I'm sure there are is why I'm asking).

Thanks in advance and RTR

I have an antenna for local channels and games and Slingtv with the sports package for $25 a month. I only keep that during the season. It has ESPN, ESPN 2, SECN and a few other good channels. I either use my Roku to use it or the app on my computer that's connected to my TV.

Other than that we only have Netflix and Hulu. Plenty to watch on those.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Selma,
I'm not sure how close you are to the local TV antenna's for DFW. From what I know, they're all South of downtown Dallas. In McKinney, I'm too far North to get reception using an antenna. So you may not be able to get local channels at your location.

I have Apple TV and I've used SlingTV and now i'm trying out AT&T DirecTV Now. Both SlingTV & DirecTV Now will get you ESPN, ESPN2, SECN. Because of the reception issue with local channels, I had to purchase a monthly subscription to the CBS App ($5.99/mo) to get the SEC on CBS.

Internet is a must and any of the above mentioned packages can be cancelled at any time. I hope this helps.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
But here's the catch folks that I need to know - how much is your monthly internet?

Btw - thanks for the responses thus far, too.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
If you use Sling, make sure you have a good connection speed. We had for about a year and it worked spottily-sometimes it would glitch, lag, and freeze. Frustrating when watching a close game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I'm paying $57.00/mo for Internet with AT&T. If you are able to get TimeWarner (now Spectrum) in your area, you can get internet for $39.99/mo.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Selma,
I'm not sure how close you are to the local TV antenna's for DFW. From what I know, they're all South of downtown Dallas. In McKinney, I'm too far North to get reception using an antenna. So you may not be able to get local channels at your location.

I have Apple TV and I've used SlingTV and now i'm trying out AT&T DirecTV Now. Both SlingTV & DirecTV Now will get you ESPN, ESPN2, SECN. Because of the reception issue with local channels, I had to purchase a monthly subscription to the CBS App ($5.99/mo) to get the SEC on CBS.

Internet is a must and any of the above mentioned packages can be cancelled at any time. I hope this helps.
I doubt I can do that. I'm in Lewisville on the northwest side.

Bamaparrotheads

3rd Team
Jan 27, 2011
Madison, AL
I use Roku also. My monthly costs are:
--$60 Comcast internet
--$20 Sling TV
--$6 CBSAllAccess (will be cancelled tonight after this game)

Because I have a relative who lets me watch ESPN App using their password, I use the SlingTV package with FS1/FS2 but the cost wouldn't be any different between the two packages I believe.

Also, I didn't have to have CBS subscription last season, but it seems they fixed that this year. I can't pick up a CBS station with an aerial or I would never give them $6 per month.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Selma,
Yes, they are down in Cedar Hill.

Here is a link to see what stations you can receive, and the type of antenna needed:

http://antennaweb.org/

Lewisville is in "purple" range, and the potential stations are not great. But not zero.

You need to enter the exact address, as it seems to take into account all the geographical anomalies, that muck up reception. A few houses, to the east of me, and things are clear. Two houses, to the west, really bad predictions. It is at a lower level, and probably right in line with the major obstacle that messes with my reception. (Windy days, or rain................might as well not turn the boob tube on. Being a EE, with a strong background in radio, antennas, and all that crap.............well, if I can not get it to work 100%, there has to be a reason.)

I know folks, up here in Allen, that claim they get all the stations, with the most rudimentary antenna. Not sure I fully believe them...............but parts of Allen look to be able to do well.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
PlayStation Vue is a much better experience than SlingTV IMO. I hate Sony with a passion but they knocked it out of the park with Vue.
I like vue as well. No taxes or equiptment. Roku and AppleTV have an app. 34.99 will get you all of the espn channels. Depending on where you are you may get all networks too.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have an antenna for local channels and games and Slingtv with the sports package for $25 a month. I only keep that during the season. It has ESPN, ESPN 2, SECN and a few other good channels. I either use my Roku to use it or the app on my computer that's connected to my TV.

Other than that we only have Netflix and Hulu. Plenty to watch on those.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
TV antenna for CBS, NBC, Fox and ABC. Internet for the rest. I use the CBS (mostly) scored board with the "game tracker" which shows the play by play on a little football field. It is slow updating sometimes but completely free. Well, except for the internet cost, of course. That sling package sounds great. We have a Roku box that cost 49.95 and with it we get thousands of free movies and TV shows.

BTW, this suits me fine being free but limited cause I remember the radio games and the ONE college game per week on TV.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.