Game Thread: Official PostGame Thread Bama vs. Gators...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Hurts doesn't improve as a downfield passer, I could easily see him losing his job. Let's be honest, while he has been calm and steady, he has regressed lately. Teams now have a plan to defend him. Fortunately he plays QB for Alabama and it has not mattered.
Yep. There is no way to know if Hurts will improve as a passer. I certainly don't assume that he will.
It's true that Hurts seemed to regress a little in the passing department. His accuracy has been his achilles heel all year. But, it should be noted that all of our first year qbs seem to hit the same wall about the same time during their first year to start.

I suspect, JH will easily retain the starting job next year because he'll have experience and he'll improve a lot from year 1 to year 2.

However, Tag and Jones, need to come in and compete just like Jalen did last spring and fall. It'll make them all better and whoever is #2 is one play from being the starter at all times!!!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
About Hurts, if you watch his high school film that someone linked on the board some time back, you will see him making all of the throws at every level. He would launch a 60 yard bomb that would hit the WR in stride. I just don't think he's developed that part of his game with the Alabama receivers yet, and after the season started, how much time do you have to actually focus on that part of the game? You're working on game plans for your upcoming opponents.

I believe you are going to see a better passing game from Hurts in the playoff, because there will be a little time to focus on fundamentals before they start implementing the Washington game plan. Then, I think you will see tremendous development by next season, as he will have all Spring and Summer to work on it, as the presumptive starter (yes, I get that he will have to earn the job back like everyone else, but it makes a huge difference being a returning starter vs an incoming freshman).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
About Hurts, if you watch his high school film that someone linked on the board some time back, you will see him making all of the throws at every level. He would launch a 60 yard bomb that would hit the WR in stride. I just don't think he's developed that part of his game with the Alabama receivers yet, and after the season started, how much time do you have to actually focus on that part of the game? You're working on game plans for your upcoming opponents.

I believe you are going to see a better passing game from Hurts in the playoff, because there will be a little time to focus on fundamentals before they start implementing the Washington game plan. Then, I think you will see tremendous development by next season, as he will have all Spring and Summer to work on it, as the presumptive starter (yes, I get that he will have to earn the job back like everyone else, but it makes a huge difference being a returning starter vs an incoming freshman).
We saw that with Blake Sims and Jake Coker over the past two seasons. No reason to expect the opposite this year with Jalen.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
McCarron did well in his 2011 bowl game start. Coker did well in his 2015 bowl game start. Sims maybe did a little worse than he was playing at the backend of the regualar season...but the whole team wasn't really having a great game.

Overall, I think we've seen improvement in the down period from the first-year starters at QB...and Hurts probably has the most room to progress as a passer.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We saw that with Blake Sims and Jake Coker over the past two seasons. No reason to expect the opposite this year with Jalen.
Exactly. Jalen is an amazing athlete with amazing arm talent. For someone to assume he won't make any progress is a pessimist and a contrarian. I am obviously biased and understand Jalen has had struggles at times but I believe I recall AJ getting a heck of a lot better between his soph year and junior year and junior year to his senior year (same with JPW and McElroy).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Exactly. Jalen is an amazing athlete with amazing arm talent. For someone to assume he won't make any progress is a pessimist and a contrarian. I am obviously biased and understand Jalen has had struggles at times but I believe I recall AJ getting a heck of a lot better between his soph year and junior year and junior year to his senior year (same with JPW and McElroy).
Going back a little further: Remember a guy named Jay Barker??? There were times during our NC run in 1992 that we could barely complete a forward pass (Sidenote: just shows how good that defense was that year).

But by 1994 Jay had become a gunslinger (by Alabama standards during those years).

JH is probably 10X more talented than Jay Barker so I think we'll see immense improvement from year 1 to year 2, which has got to be scary for the rest of the SEC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am an eternal optimist, but I don't assume anything. The context here is important, though. The question is not, "Will Jalen continue to improve?". The Question is, "Can we assume that he will improve enough that these incoming QBs have no chance of winning the starting QB job?". IMO, only a fool would assume the later.

Hurts is an amazing talent, even if he doesn't improve at all. But we have no idea how good or bad these other kids will be. Tua could be the next Joe Namath for all we know. So why assume? Let's just hope that Jalen continues to improve and that Tua is the next Joe Namath and that they have epic battles for the starting job for the next few years.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
I have been so impressed with what Jalen has shown above the shoulders, that I'm not worried in the least about what he will do with his shoulder when all is said and done.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I am an eternal optimist, but I don't assume anything. The context here is important, though. The question is not, "Will Jalen continue to improve?". The Question is, "Can we assume that he will improve enough that these incoming QBs have no chance of winning the starting QB job?". IMO, only a fool would assume the later.
It is not assuming, it is forecasting and I think it would be safe to forecast improvement due to the arm talent, mindset and experience. The Question is "Can we forecast that he will improve enough that these incoming QB's have no chance at winning the starting QB job". I think it is an obvious yes and Jalen is just scratching the surface of his potential (did you see DeShaun Watson's RS freshman year).

I know Tua is highly talented and may be the second coming of Joe Namath but TF like Jalen don't come around often if at all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.