Game Thread: Official PostGame Thread Bama vs. Gators...

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
They are getting open. He just isn't seeing them soon enough or not all. From my end zone vantage point yesterday there were receivers running open everywhere yesterday. They don't pan to it quick enough on TV. But you could just see the angst from Kiffin and Saban yesterday. Oftentimes Hurts would be looking directly at an open receiver simply not throw the ball.

This offseason will be critical for Hurts to improve in this area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Or throwing it slightly behind the receiver. Improving decision-making and timing with the receivers will be critical during December practices and during the offseason.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
He's right. We have Mac Jones and Tua coming in ... we will have 3 qbs... Hurts job isn't safe... Unlikely he'll lose his starting job, but with CNS, every year every one has to fight for their job. Look at Taylor who lost his job. Look at Foster.
Its unlikely that Jalen will lose his job - but he wont be able to ignore Tua. If you havent watched Hawaiian HS football lately, they throw it and throw it alot. It would not shock me in the least if we find Tua to be a more polished passer than Jalen after the spring. Obviously, Jalen will have significant experience and poise to his advantage. But he will need to improve his intermediate passing game for sure. I have serious questions about our D next year where I think we will have to rely more on the offense to control the outcome of games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Hurts doesn't improve as a downfield passer, I could easily see him losing his job. Let's be honest, while he has been calm and steady, he has regressed lately. Teams now have a plan to defend him. Fortunately he plays QB for Alabama and it has not mattered.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If Hurts doesn't improve as a downfield passer, I could easily see him losing his job. Let's be honest, while he has been calm and steady, he has regressed lately. Teams now have a plan to defend him. Fortunately he plays QB for Alabama and it has not mattered.
You're forgetting that he is a true freshman.. He will fix that in off sesason. Did you see his performance yesterday? it's lot better than it was the last few weeks. His throws has been lot better as well. Tua will compete, but the thing is Tua has lot to work on as well. His throwing isn't pretty and he has often struggled with deep passes time to time. So again I seriously doubt that he will lose his job, because Saban will go with players who has experience and he's not gonna start a different qb for fourth straight year... It gets old fast.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
You're forgetting that he is a true freshman.. He will fix that in off sesason. Did you see his performance yesterday? it's lot better than it was the last few weeks. His throws has been lot better as well. Tua will compete, but the thing is Tua has lot to work on as well. His throwing isn't pretty and he has often struggled with deep passes time to time. So again I seriously doubt that he will lose his job, because Saban will go with players who has experience and he's not gonna start a different qb for fourth straight year... It gets old fast.
Forgetting or not forgetting he is a true freshman has nothing to do with it. I have not seen Tua play so didn't know that his throwing is not pretty and he struggles with deep passes. The point I see is that Alabama's offense is missing a downfield throwing game and if a QB came in with a magic arm he could give Hurts a battle. Who knows how Hurts will progress during the off-season?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Forgetting or not forgetting he is a true freshman has nothing to do with it. I have not seen Tua play so didn't know that his throwing is not pretty and he struggles with deep passes. The point I see is that Alabama's offense is missing a downfield throwing game and if a QB came in with a magic arm he could give Hurts a battle. Who knows how Hurts will progress during the off-season?
Yep. There is no way to know if Hurts will improve as a passer. I certainly don't assume that he will.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
This debate just won't go away, but I'll interrupt just long enough to say what a fun day it was on the ATL yesterday. I finally had a chance to visit the College Football HOF and it was a worth the time, and price of admission. A resounding throttling of the gators to draw even with them in the number of SECCG's won was nice. As was getting a somewhat up close look at the new stadium. Looking forward to the return trip for the Peach Bowl, where I'll venture to say I'd bet we'll see an even better Jalen.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Hurts has the arm to be a good passer. I'm not just talking about how far he can throw it either. He's really got zip on the short outside stuff. His development really hinges on being able to process the middle of the field and have similar accuracy and zip for throws in that area. The limitation of our passing game this year with Hurts has mostly been due to it being so "outside the hash marks" with the targets. The great QBs can attack the short and deep middle without having many errors.

I'd love to see that development between now and the Peach Bowl but we may just have to hope we can maximize the effectiveness of the run game and outside the hashes passing game.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Hurts has the arm to be a good passer. I'm not just talking about how far he can throw it either. He's really got zip on the short outside stuff. His development really hinges on being able to process the middle of the field and have similar accuracy and zip for throws in that area. The limitation of our passing game this year with Hurts has mostly been due to it being so "outside the hash marks" with the targets. The great QBs can attack the short and deep middle without having many errors.

I'd love to see that development between now and the Peach Bowl but we may just have to hope we can maximize the effectiveness of the run game and outside the hashes passing game.
Agreed...it goes back to his ability to read the field. He is still slow doing that...missed 2 TD's yesterday by not scanning back across the field. Admittedly not an easy trait to learn...easier to take off running. He will continue to progress...too much talent and dedication not to do so.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Considering he was 17 when he got here, had to learn an entirely new offense, while playing in a system COMPLETELY different than what he had always played in, all while playing in the best division in Div. 1 is pretty daggum impressive. The fact that he is a freshmen matters a great deal. There is so much to learn and it is learned via experience. His growth as passer will be very evident. There is a reason freshmen usually don't start at AL or frankly anywhere. The reason, they aren't ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I saw a tweet (from a Husky fan no less) that said Hurts was a mediocre QB. Well he can just keep being mediocre if he continues to lead us to SEC titles and in the hunt for the national championship every year.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I saw a tweet (from a Husky fan no less) that said Hurts was a mediocre QB. Well he can just keep being mediocre if he continues to lead us to SEC titles and in the hunt for the national championship every year.
I remember some saying the same about Jay Barker back in 92/93. Didn't help Gino did it?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Agreed...it goes back to his ability to read the field. He is still slow doing that...missed 2 TD's yesterday by not scanning back across the field. Admittedly not an easy trait to learn...easier to take off running. He will continue to progress...too much talent and dedication not to do so.
Agreed - he also missed a pretty obvious read on a zone read RPO. HE should have handed it off and the RB would have walked straight into the end-zone. It was one where Kiffin threw his arms up when he saw the DE open the split, until he realized Jalen made the wrong read. Jalen's still very young and has a lot to still ramp up on with the game slowing down for him to be able to make all the right reads. He's come light years compared to what just about any freshman could ever hope to do, and I'm sure he'll keep progressing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.