Any Hamilton Updates? (Saban: likely out for the year)

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
How's Mack Wilson looked at linebacker? I only remember his highlights as a FB and ST player.
hasn't gotten a lot of time at LB. I'd imagine he'd be the option behind Evans and Holcombe (i.e. pretty far down the list), if only because those two are going to know the system better and will minimize mistakes. It's going to be interesting to see if those two end up splitting some of the reps next to foster, with Evans being in on more run likely downs and Holcombe playing more on passing downs. We didn't see that last night but Holcombe has been an ILB a lot longer and might be a little ahead on pass coverage. Luckily we have several weeks for the coaches to sort it all out.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
hasn't gotten a lot of time at LB. I'd imagine he'd be the option behind Evans and Holcombe (i.e. pretty far down the list), if only because those two are going to know the system better and will minimize mistakes. It's going to be interesting to see if those two end up splitting some of the reps next to foster, with Evans being in on more run likely downs and Holcombe playing more on passing downs. We didn't see that last night but Holcombe has been an ILB a lot longer and might be a little ahead on pass coverage. Luckily we have several weeks for the coaches to sort it all out.
I think he would end up seeing playing time.. He doesn't necessary have to be behind those guys.. He has speed, so I could see hiim taking Anderson or William's spot next year.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I hate this for him.

I also have to use this as a chance to remind people that these are not Madden games, they're real, physical battles. I've been questioned from time to time when I bring up SoS as impacting injuries, and the number of games being relevant. Well, Alabama played a conference championship game and apparently lost a guy for the year in the process. There's no way around the fact that more games=more injuries and a tough schedule can take its toll on a team. Hopefully this doesn't impact Alabama. I'm proud of what he accomplished this year and what the team accomplished either way though.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
I think the 3rd and goal stop by Evans was a glimpse into the future. He's one of those speedy freaky athletes like CJ Mosley that brings the wood. I expect a huge senior season from him

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think he would end up seeing playing time.. He doesn't necessary have to be behind those guys.. He has speed, so I could see him taking Anderson or William's spot next year.
anything is possible for next season. I was talking about the playoff games filling in for SDH.

Next season hopefully SDH will be back and fully healthy. then I imagine it'll be an open competition to see who takes the spot next to him. Evans, Holcombe and Wilson being the three most likely guys, but others in play also (Davis and McMillon)

Now, could Wilson move over to JLB or SLB? Sure - this staff will move guys all over to wherever they an contribute, just look at who all has played where in the secondary this season, but in this case I don't know if it's likely. We have a TON of guys who can fill those roles pretty well (Miller, Jennings, Hall, Brown and even Mosely) with only one of them being on the field in what is basically our base set now (3-3 nickel). Wilson played really, really well in space as a cover player in high school, which is obviously super important against a lot of the teams we face. It might be more likely that in some packages if we needed speed rush depth that we'd sometimes slide Evans up as a rusher and perhaps have Wilson as an off the line LB, but almost all the times we switch to two speed rushers (OLBs) on the field, we play with only one ILB and move a S down into the box. If SDH is healthy I would image he'd be the guy staying on the field.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Hamilton didn't even see the field much against Ole Miss due to their offensive philosophy.
Remind me how many points we gave up to Ole Miss? Washington may be similar on offense. We saw what Clemson did to our defense last year. I wanted Shaun ready when needed during the playoff run. Even if we didn't start out with him on the field. He's experienced in coverage. That can negate a big play like what happened after he went down.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Remind me how many points we gave up to Ole Miss? Washington may be similar on offense. We saw what Clemson did to our defense last year. I wanted Shaun ready when needed during the playoff run. Even if we didn't start out with him on the field. He's experienced in coverage. That can negate a big play like what happened after he went down.
hamilton played a TON against Ole Miss, registering 7 tackles. We use two ILBs in the nickel package which is really our base defense now due to all the spread teams we play. We'll miss him a lot in coverage. The guy just knew where to be and took great drops and made great reads with when to switch and when to pick up players.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Evans isn't really an ILB in my eyes. He's a sub rusher that they sometimes throw in at ILB to be a threat as a pass rusher from the interior.

This isn't to say he couldn't be good enough against the run but we've definitely lost a good bit in terms of coverage.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Evans isn't really an ILB in my eyes. He's a sub rusher that they sometimes throw in at ILB to be a threat as a pass rusher from the interior.

This isn't to say he couldn't be good enough against the run but we've definitely lost a good bit in terms of coverage.
Without question there will be a drop-off in RB/TE coverage. Hamilton was the best LB at Alabama that I have ever seen in this regard. But you will be fine in every other regard.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

that's right for his first season and 3/4s or so, although he's been practicing with ILBs some since the tail end of last season and exclusively all through spring camp, and that's likely where his future is. Last season when he was in at ILB, he didn't blitz all that often - he played a shadow role against the really mobile QBs since he had the speed to close them down if they broke contain of the DL. This year his main he's played pretty evenly as an edge defender/rusher and as a true ILB filling in when foster or SDH have gotten dinged or needed a breather.

Watching the SECCG, it doesn't seem like we'd be missing a lot. He was everywhere after giving up that initial TD after SDH got hurt.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Watching the SECCG, it doesn't seem like we'd be missing a lot. He was everywhere after giving up that initial TD after SDH got hurt.

That looked like blown coverage caused by confusion. It looks to me like he thought he had a safety behind him. With enough time to learn all the coverages and calls RE will be fine. Losing Foster next season will be big but so was losing Reggie last year. With Evans and Hamilton coming back next year and the young bucks we have behind them I think we will be just fine at linebacker.

That looked like blown coverage caused by confusion. It looks to me like he thought he had a safety behind him. With enough time to learn all the coverages and calls RE will be fine. Losing Foster next season will be big but so was losing Reggie last year. With Evans and Hamilton coming back next year and the young bucks we have behind them I think we will be just fine at linebacker.
No doubt! It just seems after that, he was good. Defense shut them out and down in the second half. Good times!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think he's talented enough to be fine with a little extra attention. He may even be an asset if we can get to the championship against either one of those athletic runners at QB.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

I think Evans is faster and a better overall athlete then Hamilton. Hamilton is just a damn smart player with good instincts.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I think he's talented enough to be fine with a little extra attention. He may even be an asset if we can get to the championship against either one of those athletic runners at QB.
Didn't we use a heavy dose of him and Hand last year against Watson in the 2nd half?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.