JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
SECCG wrap-up: Bama keeps destroying one-dimensional teams
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
December 3rd, 2016 10:17 PM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Dec. 3, 2016 Alabama’s resounding victory over Florida on Saturday in the SEC Championship Game did several things: It extended Alabama’s win streak to 25 games, its SEC championship strength to 3 years and ended any speculation of what the College Football Playoff committee might do in the event the […]

Read More Here

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Great write and and completely agree about Evans - this is going to be my biggest worry till we see how he plays. Great athlete, but ILB is brand new to him having played as a DE/OLB in HS and his first two years at 'Bama. It's a whole different world playing as an ILB in our defense, which is why they practice as two separate groups...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Really appreciate the pre and post game analysis Jess. I'm in total agreement about SDH. I thought of the two players that were super crucial were him and EJ and now both are gone. My friends asked me why and I said the same thing you did. Depth. He's out there all the time. Even Reuben gets spells which likely means Keith and Mack aren't ready. Hopefully with reps with the ones will help but it's a big ask. Minkah is just insane at how versatile he is and if he isn't top 10 or even top 5 next year in the draft I'll be shocked. Hopefully someone will grab the bull by the horns like he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
In watching the game, my observations regarding Florida is they have 3 glaring issues keeping them from participating in the national championship hunt:

1. QB - they need a "franchise" QB, or at least one that doesn't turn the ball over like Appleby did
2. Less player injuries and more depth - recruiting will help this but not sure how to mitigate the astounding number of injuries they suffered this season
3. Better play calling on offense - especially when your O-line isn't sufficient - do not try to run through a concrete wall, for example

I know that seems like a big wish list but having the right QB in place would be a great start and maybe the other things would fall into place.

Congrats on your 3rd in a row SEC Championship and I hope we meet again at the end of next season but this time with the above 3 issues resolved so it will be a more competitive game!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
With all due respect to Bazza (our resident Florida fan). Florida is just a bad football team. I didn't realize they had lost that many players to injury and didn't realize their center and one other OL'man were freshman forced into action due to injury. Add to that their QB is awful and I say that without consideration of the defense he's facing. He's awful regardless. It is also a reflection of how awful the SEC East has become. Again, no disrespect to Bazza, but if Florida was the best the SEC East had to offer then good lord. And to make matters worse, does anyone see any signs it will get better any time soon? I don't. Matter of fact, it appears it is getting worse.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With all due respect to Bazza (our resident Florida fan). Florida is just a bad football team. I didn't realize they had lost that many players to injury and didn't realize their center and one other OL'man were freshman forced into action due to injury. Add to that their QB is awful and I say that without consideration of the defense he's facing. He's awful regardless. It is also a reflection of how awful the SEC East has become. Again, no disrespect to Bazza, but if Florida was the best the SEC East had to offer then good lord. And to make matters worse, does anyone see any signs it will get better any time soon? I don't. Matter of fact, it appears it is getting worse.
They win the East because, even with their flaws, they are the only team in the East that plays great defense. Great defense still wins championships (though here only the divisional championship).

That said, I think that Smart is going to figure this out at Georgia, so Florida needs to fix its offensive issues before that happens.

In watching the game, my observations regarding Florida is they have 3 glaring issues keeping them from participating in the national championship hunt:

1. QB - they need a "franchise" QB, or at least one that doesn't turn the ball over like Appleby did
2. Less player injuries and more depth - recruiting will help this but not sure how to mitigate the astounding number of injuries they suffered this season
3. Better play calling on offense - especially when your O-line isn't sufficient - do not try to run through a concrete wall, for example

I know that seems like a big wish list but having the right QB in place would be a great start and maybe the other things would fall into place.

Congrats on your 3rd in a row SEC Championship and I hope we meet again at the end of next season but this time with the above 3 issues resolved so it will be a more competitive game!
Bazza, you need depth badly. It's hard to get it in one year though.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Buzz....did you read my post? I ask because in my post, I attempted to identify the 3 main factors which are holding us back. In my opinion (as resident Florida fan)....if we were to correct these 3 items...we would be able to compete for another championship.

I don't understand your comment about Florida just being a "bad team". In my opinion, they are only "bad" in 3 areas. If you want to say that means they are "bad" then so be it.

We lost the game so along with that we have to accept the negative comments, until things change. I'm confident Florida is on the right path and feel very optimistic about the future.

I am watching the game replay right now and watched it a couple more times before as well and while I cringe at some of the mistakes we made - I like a LOT of what I am seeing on offense and defense....given the 3 issues we have right now.

I can't speak for the rest of the SEC East but for us...there's a lot to look forward to and I'm excited!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Bazza, you need depth badly. It's hard to get it in one year though.
J - You hit the nail right on the head...we need depth. And that will come over time as we recruit better and better. No one recruits better than Bama and it really shows in their performance week after week and season after season.

We are making strides....but it does take time....

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Buzz....did you read my post? I ask because in my post, I attempted to identify the 3 main factors which are holding us back. In my opinion (as resident Florida fan)....if we were to correct these 3 items...we would be able to compete for another championship.

I don't understand your comment about Florida just being a "bad team". In my opinion, they are only "bad" in 3 areas. If you want to say that means they are "bad" then so be it.

We lost the game so along with that we have to accept the negative comments, until things change. I'm confident Florida is on the right path and feel very optimistic about the future.

I am watching the game replay right now and watched it a couple more times before as well and while I cringe at some of the mistakes we made - I like a LOT of what I am seeing on offense and defense....given the 3 issues we have right now.

I can't speak for the rest of the SEC East but for us...there's a lot to look forward to and I'm excited!
The three areas of deficiency you pointed out are the main reasons they are bad. I didn't mean it as a sarcastic insult just stating that the product I saw on the field was bad. You need a quarterback, less injuries, more depth and better coaching (offensively). I completely agree. Not having those things are the reason y'all are bad. I don't follow Florida as close as you do. What signs do you see that indicate to you they are getting better and are addressing these deficiencies? My last comment was more addressed at the entire SEC East. It was simply bad football this year from them.

J - You hit the nail right on the head...we need depth. And that will come over time as we recruit better and better. No one recruits better than Bama and it really shows in their performance week after week and season after season.

We are making strides....but it does take time....
Yeah, everyone goes through those lumps, even Bama. Our annual game though, I still love. As I type this, I'm sitting in Gainesville at a Burger King.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The three areas of deficiency you pointed out are the main reasons they are bad. I didn't mean it as a sarcastic insult just stating that the product I saw on the field was bad. You need a quarterback, less injuries, more depth and better coaching (offensively). I completely agree. Not having those things are the reason y'all are bad. I don't follow Florida as close as you do. What signs do you see that indicate to you they are getting better and are addressing these deficiencies? My last comment was more addressed at the entire SEC East. It was simply bad football this year from them.
No offense taken, Buzz. I was just making an observation from my perspective directed at specific deficiencies. Florida is currently ranked 6th in total defense in the country. I think that alone keeps them from being a "bad" team.

I think Jess said it best...Florida is/was one dimensional.

I see things improving because IMHO, there's not a whole lot to correct. If we had had a great QB....it would probably result in an undefeated team this season - just by itself. The other 2 things are getting healthy and making better decisions on offense during the game. If we get the right QB, #3 may take care of itself. A lot of criticism towards Coach Nussmeier but I don't see him as the main problem. I think we need a QB. We have 2 red shirt freshmen in our system right now but I don't see how anyone can say either will be the answer but one of them could be. (?)

Will be interesting to see how we end up with our recruiting this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.