Question: Was this a down year for college football?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I want to find out what people think. I can't shake the overwhelming impression that, besides this Bama team, this was a remarkably lackluster year for college football.

Neither Clemson nor FSU look particularly good, and though Louisville flashed, the rest of the ACC is as usual just along for the ride.

The Big 12 is kind of a joke except of OU.

The PAC 12 let an unspectacular Washington team slip through with one loss and few real contests while the only team with high upside, USC, took too long to get it together.

The SECe was flat out embarrassing, made worse in that the likely two best teams were decimated by injuries, and the SECw (besides us) was a weird morass of hot and cold streaks that ended piled up in a heap. To illustrate weird, LSU and Awb finished 2 and 3 in the west after having an early season playoff to see which team's coach would be fired. Meanwhile the Aggies once again turned their early harvest into next year's fertilizer, while the only team that really challenged us all year ended up in last place.

Meanwhile, the B1G is the "best" conference all of a sudden, without really making much if any overall improvement. Michigan up, but MSU way down. PSU up, but Iowa back down. There is admittedly a slight uptick in this conference, but even OSU is not as good as they were two years ago. The only reason the B1G has 4 teams ranked so highly is that every other conference disappeared into the Bermuda triangle.

So, was this year of college football a dud or have my standards of what counts as good football been processed?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I don't necessarily see it as a "down year" in college football as a whole. Parity has brought a lot of teams closer together in terms of talent. As for the talent itself, this is the best it has ever been, IMHO, across the board top to bottom. For instance: That team that gave us our toughest test and finished last in the West? Probably the most talent of any team we faces not named LSU and was decimated by injuries down the stretch (to say nothing of NCAA distractions). The ACC is always 2 teams then everybody else. Same for the Big12. The B1G has had a definite upgrade in coaching and improvement in talent development.

Lost in everything else is how remarkable, given the parity now, Alabama's run has been. Also lost is that this Alabama team has had to overcome a number of deficiencies to run the table to this point and has been able to do so thanks largely to consistently high recruiting and pure tenacity and persistence - IOW, attitude and hard work. This team has been buoyed by intangibles. The process works.

Also lost are the shifts happening across the board in college football. Coaching talent has concentrated more in the B1G. Teams that have been down are on the rise (Washington, Michigan) while others are falling (Oregon). All these shifts along with the parity has left us with one dominant team to this point, a few very good teams, a lot of pretty good teams, then everyone else. The top three have consistency in coaching and recruiting (Bama, OSU, Clemson). The others in the conversation haven't been so consistent.

For one, all this shows how difficult it is to do what Bama has done over the last 9 years and how difficult that will be going forward. This year doesn't seem all that different than the past several so far as 2 loss teams past the top 5 or so. The B1G having two 2 loss team in its championship game is a bit of luck, previously mentioned shifts, and poor decisions in making that conference's divisions.

Have you been processed? Probably, but you're not alone.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I think you might be right, though the difference between a down year and a high-parity year are basically semantics.

I do wonder, though, if the perception of how down the SEC East is this year - at least compared to the rest of college football - has been somewhat overblown. After all, SEC East teams did beat Va Tech, UNC, and Louisville.

It'll depend a lot upon the bowl match-ups but it'll be very interesting to me to see how the SEC East performs in the postseason.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
I think you might be right, though the difference between a down year and a high-parity year are basically semantics.

I do wonder, though, if the perception of how down the SEC East is this year - at least compared to the rest of college football - has been somewhat overblown. After all, SEC East teams did beat Va Tech, UNC, and Louisville.

It'll depend a lot upon the bowl match-ups but it'll be very interesting to me to see how the SEC East performs in the postseason.
Gators v either the Badgers or the Lions I would take the Gators comfortably.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Perception wise, the SEC is down and very top heavy with Alabama dominant. Hats off to coach Mac though with back to back SEC championship appearances in his first two years. Give him another recruiting class and, more importantly, an elite QB talent and that program is an up an comer. The Big is far and away overtaken us this year with 3 of the top 6 teams at the end of the regular season. That trend will only continue with the top notch head coaching they have and the resulting recruiting prowess. Clemson and FLA ST make the ACC strong and that trend will also continue. The PAC will continue to ascend because of Peterson and USC will waffle until they get a better head coach...and where did Colorado come from? Anyway, that is my snapshot. I think Temple has a pretty good up and coming coach as does WMichigan. Until the SEC cycles some better head coaching talent into its ranks I think it will play second fiddle to strength perception with Alabama the only bright spot.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I think you can thank the 50 bowl games for that...
And frankly, I hope we don't get embarrassed by losing a majority of those matchups. Michigan made the SECe champs look like chopped liver last year and would do it again if given the chance. Whisky, Penn ST, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, FLA ST...there are a lot of good teams out there in conferences not the SEC.

Rolltidegirl205

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2014
The SEC is definitely taking a backseat to everyone else. We're the only dominate team in the SEC. Be interesting to see what conference gets former SEC coach Les Miles. It's the coaching landscape that's propelling other conferences ahead of the SEC. Combine that with the lack of super quarterbacks in the conference I'd say the only down is the SEC.

But as long as our team keeps winning I'm happy.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I don't think college football is down, in general. Other than Bama, I do think the SEC is in a transition period. LSU fired Miles, Kirby's first year at UGA, Ole Miss coming back down to Earth, Miss St no longer has Dak Prescott, etc.

Clemson and Ohio State are very good teams and pose a danger to us. There are a bunch of two-loss teams from the major conferences and one Cinderella team in Western Michigan. Overall, it seems like a pretty normal year, especially if Alabama wins the National Championship.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This has been, and will continue to be, one of the best college football seasons that I have ever watched. I am not sure what you guys are watching.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I don't think college football is down, in general. Other than Bama, I do think the SEC is in a transition period. LSU fired Miles, Kirby's first year at UGA, Ole Miss coming back down to Earth, Miss St no longer has Dak Prescott, etc.

Clemson and Ohio State are very good teams and pose a danger to us. There are a bunch of two-loss teams from the major conferences and one Cinderella team in Western Michigan. Overall, it seems like a pretty normal year, especially if Alabama wins the National Championship.
I agree with this. The SEC is down a little this year a bit because of coaching transitions and losses of some very experienced players.

I think next year parity in the SEC will increase if FL and UGA figure out their QB situation. LSU's situation will get better. I actually think Ole Miss will improve with their young QB.

I still think our bottom 6 is better than the big10's. The SEC usually eat's our own anyway. I think it will be evidenced in the bowls again this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
This has been, and will continue to be, one of the best college football seasons that I have ever watched. I am not sure what you guys are watching.
The question is too general and frankly specious. The SEC was down, be it youth, inexperience or injuries. College Football in general? No. Football is liken to Horses, some years the sales at Keenland yield greatness others not so much. I agree with BIGTIDE I saw a lot of good/great football games this year.
It brings to mind another point, Coach Stallings said, I'll paraphrase, Alabama has had top recruiting classes for the last 5 or 6 years, combined with good Coaches it means their as close to unbeatable as you can get. He said schemes don't beat you, better football players do. (ESPN Interview along with Coach Spurrier) As long as Coach Saban is here, we'll win. Nobody wins them all, but his process, and having his players playing each play to win, not looking back, or forward, not looking at the scorebard, makes winning them all as close as possible.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
4 loss Auburn ended up being the SEC's second best team. Let that sink in.
Well of course an Auburn fan is going to say that. ;-) But ... you guys were able to put it together as the season went on. Just losing the RB and White not being 100% against UGA really showed how bad it was. UGA in my opinion is terrible. Without injuries. I think if Auburn hadn't gotten the injuries towards the end, that Iron Bowl would have been a little different. I worry that the Sugar Bowl now won't be nearly as competitive as it should be. IMO, Oklahoma is not that good really. But with the defense being on the field most of the game, Mayfield may have a field day. Hope your guys get better before the big day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.