CFP Selection Show on Sunday 11 am

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This isn't even the biggest sports tragedy related to Penn State. I think Joe Paterno and the Penn State administration failing children who were sexually assaulted by a football staff member by not notifying law enforcement for 35 years takes that cake.
I get that but that, too, is only peripherally a 'sports tragedy,' although that's what we all were thinking when Nick Kalay said what he said.

To me, death DURING the event is the all-time topper, which even to a point makes the Marshall tragedy somewhat peripheral.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I keep trying to watch this selection show, but I have no interest in anything other than the top four. As many others and I have said, a playoff really diminished all the other bowls. I'm excited to watch the three playoff games, but I used to be excited to watch at least 10 bowl games.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I keep trying to watch this selection show, but I have no interest in anything other than the top four. As many others and I have said, a playoff really diminished all the other bowls. I'm excited to watch the three playoff games, but I used to be excited to watch at least 10 bowl games.
I don't get that. The other bowl games have never meant anything other than pride for their fans and that hasn't changed. Now we have two games that do really have championship implications instead of one in the BCS era. I still enjoy watching the other bowls.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
This isn't even the biggest sports tragedy related to Penn State. I think Joe Paterno and the Penn State administration failing children who were sexually assaulted by a football staff member by not notifying law enforcement for 35 years takes that cake.
Goes without saying.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I don't get that. The other bowl games have never meant anything other than pride for their fans and that hasn't changed. Now we have two games that do really have championship implications instead of one in the BCS era.
Maybe I'm alone, but I enjoyed watching all the major bowls and a few others that had good match-ups. It seems to me the joy of winning the Sugar Bowl or Rose Bowl is diminished. I realize the BCS did that to some extent too, but it is now all Playoff centered. Times change, I guess.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Maybe I'm alone, but I enjoyed watching all the major bowls and a few others that had good match-ups. It seems to me the joy of winning the Sugar Bowl or Rose Bowl is diminished. I realize the BCS did that to some extent too, but it is now all Playoff centered. Times change, I guess.
I would guess it has to do with the fact that you're in the playoff every year. Nothing much has changed otherwise. We have 3 games instead of 1 BCS title game now. About it.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I would guess it has to do with the fact that you're in the playoff every year. Nothing much has changed otherwise. We have 3 games instead of 1 BCS title game now. About it.
I hope you're right. I know Bama won't be this dominant forever.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
And he got nailed for it, too - and should have.

The biggest American sports tragedy of all-time is (take your pick): Ray Mancini killing Duk Koo Kim (he was American but it wasn't here), the Atlanta Centennial Olympic Bombing (not technically sports), or all those spectators killed/burned at the beginning of the 1973 Indy 500.
Boston Marathon bombing is #1 in my book

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It will probably be a 50-45 type game. I don't see much defense at all being played in this one.
That's usually the type games that ends up being right the opposite of what we expect them to be, while it should be a "Barn-Burner"(G), it prolly will be a slobber knocking defensive battle after a month long break from action..Those long breaks from play affects offensive timing with offenses like The Barn & Sooners..JMO

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
And he got nailed for it, too - and should have.

The biggest American sports tragedy of all-time is (take your pick): Ray Mancini killing Duk Koo Kim (he was American but it wasn't here), the Atlanta Centennial Olympic Bombing (not technically sports), or all those spectators killed/burned at the beginning of the 1973 Indy 500.

Uh................not sure any spectators were killed. Swede Savage wrecked, later in the race (and on another day), and died weeks later. I think a pit worker was somehow killed, during Savage's accident. And there was another death, sometime in practice. The only detail I remember is the race was postponed, after the wreck on Lap 1. They ran it, a few days later, and that is when things got really bad. It eventually ended early, due to weather, to the relief of most involved.

But, I guess you could really, really stretch things and say Munich '72. I dunno..............

Somehow, whatever happens to Ped State U is no tragedy.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Uh................not sure any spectators were killed. Swede Savage wrecked, later in the race (and on another day), and died weeks later. I think a pit worker was somehow killed, during Savage's accident. And there was another death, sometime in practice. The only detail I remember is the race was postponed, after the wreck on Lap 1. They ran it, a few days later, and that is when things got really bad. It eventually ended early, due to weather, to the relief of most involved.

But, I guess you could really, really stretch things and say Munich '72. I dunno..............

Somehow, whatever happens to Ped State U is no tragedy.
on a purely sporting level, I offer the 1972 USA Olympic Basketball Team

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.